Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2019, 12:10 PM

24,303 posts, read 9,190,640 times

Advertisements

Quote:
One British startup wants to discreetly weigh passengers in order to help airlines save on fuel costs and keep passengers from feeling like they’re being shamed for their size.

According to Lonely Planet, Fuel Matrix, a startup founded by CEO Roy Fuscone, aims to use methods like pressurized pads at self-service bag drops or during full body scans to collect data on passenger's weight. Much like with facial recognition technology, the pads will confidentially send data to the airlines alone for the purposes of fuel economy.

Perhaps many passengers take for granted how much weight is on their flight, and how much fuel it takes for their plane to get from one place to another based on how light or heavy it is. But airlines take this measurement into account for every single flight.
https://www.travelandleisure.com/air...ing-passengers

Interesting. I wonder if this would eventually be used to start charging heavier passengers an additional fee
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2019, 12:13 PM

13,262 posts, read 7,949,360 times
here's a crazy thought...

Take some seats out of the plane, and stop cramming people in like sardines. THAT would save fuel costs too.

Old 04-19-2019, 12:30 PM

6,806 posts, read 4,427,317 times
Baggage gets weighed. Passengers should also get weighed. I'm 100 pounds soak-n-wet. Why shouldn't someone who weighs three or four times that not pay more for the ride?

Old 04-19-2019, 01:01 PM

35,508 posts, read 17,732,329 times
Can that statistic POSSIBLY be true - that planes carry an average of 1% more fuel than they need?

????????

Who knew we were flying that close to the bone? Geez.

So, like, if you get to the airport and have to circle around a few times waiting for your turn to land, chances are very high you'll crash?

Old 04-19-2019, 01:05 PM

13,262 posts, read 7,949,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
Can that statistic POSSIBLY be true - that planes carry an average of 1% more fuel than they need?

????????

So, like, if you get to the airport and have to circle around a few times waiting for your turn to land, chances are very high you'll crash?

I don't think my idea is so "out there". Take a few seats out and make the plane automatically lighter. But airlines don't do that. More important to keep their profit margins I guess.

Old 04-19-2019, 01:30 PM

16,826 posts, read 15,044,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post

????????

I'm guessing there's "reserve" fuel somewhere in the plane for situations just like this. In other words, when the tank reads "empty," there's still fuel left, either at the bottom of the tank or in a separate reservoir. Much like when your car reads "E," it still has a solid 60-150 miles left, depending on the make and model.

One thing I do know, however, is that pilots are trained to be able to land without fuel. It won't just "crash."

Old 04-19-2019, 02:28 PM

7,732 posts, read 6,296,289 times
I have a vague recollection of people being weighed prior to boarding on a commuter size plane and then seated to balance the weight. This would have been over 30 years ago.

Old 04-19-2019, 02:33 PM

2,518 posts, read 5,328,310 times
A few years ago, before a Powell River to Vancouver flight, I had to sit on the baggage scales. Not because I was at all overweight, but, if I remember right, because of the heavy weight of my suitcase, they needed to check my weight too.

Old 04-19-2019, 02:33 PM

6,404 posts, read 3,881,108 times
Smart move on the part of the airlines. Get people judging and bickering amongst each other (in this case, start a big fat-hate-fest), and they won't notice that you're introducing ridiculous policies to hose them. Divide and conquer, etc.

Old 04-19-2019, 02:35 PM

11,129 posts, read 7,865,801 times
Lol... we didn’t weigh passengers... nor luggage. We used an “average” weight per bag and per passenger to figure weight and balance. We used a higher estimate to make sure we were within limits.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events