Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2019, 10:51 PM

29,509 posts, read 22,620,513 times

Advertisements

Scary, it's bad enough you have to worry about wild animals.

One of the reasons why I never was into hiking.

Guy even looks like someone who'd do such a thing, straight out of Hollywood casting call for a loony mountain man.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news...trail-n1004761

Quote:
A Massachusetts man faces a murder charge for allegedly attacking two hikers on the Appalachian Trail with a machete, leaving one one dead and the other severely wounded, federal authorities said Sunday.

James Jordan, 30, of West Yarmouth, also faces one count of assault with the intent to murder in the Saturday morning incident, the FBI and United States Attorney’s Office for the Western District of Virginia said in a joint news release.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2019, 05:21 AM

1,563 posts, read 2,872,864 times
A good argument for concealed carry......can't imagine how terrifying it must have been.

Old 05-13-2019, 06:01 AM

27,074 posts, read 11,841,613 times
He was arrested in related incidents days earlier, threatening hikers with a machete, in NC and Tenn. Paid a fine, was released from jail.

Figures....

I've hiked the AT many years ago but would no longer do so....crime. With the above there was the man who killed an elderly couple on the trail and a woman, held her four days, decapitated her, within the last decade or so. Women have been raped etc all on the AT.

Just too remote without people around....to consider using the trail. Shame, as there are some good people on that trail....but too many possibilities of attack.
Hiking in remote areas has gone the way of kids riding bikes all day and returning home just before dark....

not possible in this day and age.

Last edited by greatblueheron; 05-13-2019 at 07:06 AM..

Old 05-13-2019, 07:27 AM

2,104 posts, read 3,008,476 times
Sick people. Boy that's close by me. Ugh.

Old 05-13-2019, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatdurncat13 View Post
Sick people. Boy that's close by me. Ugh.

This incident and the others I mentioned were near me too...creepy feeling.

Old 05-13-2019, 08:05 AM

264 posts, read 200,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samiamnh View Post
A good argument for concealed carry......

Most of the trail is US Forest Service property, gun free zone except during hunting season to licensed hunters......which I'd totally ignore if I was a hiker.

As stated, same nut was arrested locally last month for an assault on the trail, and apparently turned loose. Yet another failure of the criminal justice system.

BTW, I think both the victims lived from this latest attack.

Old 05-13-2019, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tn_eddy View Post
Most of the trail is US Forest Service property, gun free zone except during hunting season to licensed hunters......which I'd totally ignore if I was a hiker.

As stated, same nut was arrested locally last month for an assault on the trail, and apparently turned loose. Yet another failure of the criminal justice system.

Not just a nut, likely psychopath...like the other killer I mentioned. They know just where to go to find their innocent victims....

a remote trail where most hikers are nature-loving, peaceful people...and no authorities of any kind around.

Old 05-13-2019, 08:28 AM

264 posts, read 200,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
Not just a nut, likely psychopath...like the other killer I mentioned. They know just where to go to find their innocent victims....

Yep....which is why I regularly carry concealed despite being in gun free zones. My (and family) safety trumps silly rules.

Wife was teaching a dance class at local downtown Methodist church gym some years back, when a homeless fellow wandered in (not unusual) and proudly displayed his machete he'd bought at K-mart. I convinced him that was better shown elsewhere, and he left.....but my hand was on my holstered Glock as well. I think he was truly harmless, but on the other hand............

Old 05-13-2019, 08:30 AM

12,322 posts, read 17,126,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post

a remote trail where most hikers are nature-loving, peaceful people...and no authorities of any kind around.
I agree. It's sad how people can ruin the peaceful escape of the wilderness. The Appalachian Trail is a rite of passage for hikers, very vast and as safe is it normally is, it's not immune to dangerous types. Only patrols are by the "Trail Angels" who are not law enforcement.

Old 05-13-2019, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tn_eddy View Post
Yep....which is why I regularly carry concealed despite being in gun free zones. My (and family) safety trumps silly rules.

Wife was teaching a dance class at local downtown Methodist church gym some years back, when a homeless fellow wandered in (not unusual) and proudly displayed his machete he'd bought at K-mart. I convinced him that was better shown elsewhere, and he left.....but my hand was on my holstered Glock as well. I think he was truly harmless, but on the other hand............

How do you know he was harmless....with a machete? That's a bizarre thing for anyone to carry at any time. Glad you had your gun, could have been necessary.

I know a woman whose husband was a state patrol officer...you better believe she had a cc permit, based on her husband's experiences on the job, he wanted her to have one.

I have no problems with cc...just the AKs and other weapons than are not necessary except for LEO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events