Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2019, 08:19 AM

36,754 posts, read 14,851,961 times

Advertisements

Six people are involved in a suit against Conagra, for severe injuries sustained when cans of Pam exploded.

All of the cans were 10 oz "restaurant-sized," and all had a design specific to that size, with marking on the bottom (see pic below).

Obviously, this is supposed to be kept from a heat source (the stove), but it appears that, at least in one case, it might have been. In that case, it was kept on a shelf, a number of feet above the stove, then fell off the shelf and ON the stove's flame after it exploded. That might have been one of the restaurant users, though, keeping it on an open shelf above the stove--still not wise.

Anyway, I have a 6 oz can, and never use it anywhere near the stove. (In fact, my main use is as a shredder lubricant--I spray a sheet of paper, and shred it).

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.cnn...rnd/index.html

Attachment 211187

Last edited by Delahanty; 07-21-2019 at 04:52 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2019, 08:45 AM

17,279 posts, read 15,476,500 times
I never saw any advantages in using this stuff.
What's so hard about grabbing a stick of butter and lining whatever it is you want to grease up with it? Or dabbing a paper towel in oil and spreading a thin coat by hand?

Old 05-23-2019, 09:21 AM

30,585 posts, read 25,207,589 times
I use PAM. I find it useful. I store it well away from the cooktop.

Old 05-23-2019, 11:04 AM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 16 days ago)

35,665 posts, read 18,021,886 times
I use the olive oil PAM, but not in the industrial size cans.

This is good information - spray your can, and put it back in the cabinet.

Old 05-23-2019, 11:08 AM

26,660 posts, read 28,733,368 times
Just use some olive oil or butter or other oil. You don't need a spray can. Anyway, if it's supposed to be kept away from heat, what's it doing in a kitchen?

Old 05-23-2019, 11:13 AM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 16 days ago)

35,665 posts, read 18,021,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
Just use some olive oil or butter or other oil. You don't need a spray can. Anyway, if it's supposed to be kept away from heat, what's it doing in a kitchen?
I use it to fry hot dogs and fried eggs, as well as spray onto aluminum foil before making broccoli tots, etc.

Pouring olive oil and wiping it all around with a paper towel is a mess.

Old 05-23-2019, 11:33 AM

1,914 posts, read 2,247,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
I never saw any advantages in using this stuff.
What's so hard about grabbing a stick of butter and lining whatever it is you want to grease up with it? Or dabbing a paper towel in oil and spreading a thin coat by hand?
You can certainly use anything you want. So can everyone else. There is nothing "wrong" with choosing either method, and it's not an issue of difficulty (with the subtext that the person choosing some other method is lazy). They're just different choices.

Old 05-23-2019, 12:02 PM

17,279 posts, read 15,476,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaofan View Post
You can certainly use anything you want. So can everyone else. There is nothing "wrong" with choosing either method, and it's not an issue of difficulty (with the subtext that the person choosing some other method is lazy). They're just different choices.
Yes. I never said there was anything "wrong" with it -- just that I don't find it useful.

Old 05-23-2019, 02:13 PM

20,417 posts, read 14,706,156 times
I like it for when I make muffins. I don't mind using butter or oil in a single pan, but all with a muffin pan...it's just easier. That is, if I don't use the little disposable muffin papers (which I'd rather not.)

I also have a trick with broiling. I love to cook various kinds of meat that way, but I hate cleaning the pan. So I will spray grilling PAM onto the pan itself, then put heavy duty foil down over that (so the foil won't stick) and then use my thumbnail to make cuts in the foil where the slots in the metal are, so the fat can drain off. After cooking, I peel away the foil and the pan is actually really easy to wash. No burnt on crud.

But I keep the PAM in the pantry, which is on the other side of the kitchen from the stove, so...

Old 05-23-2019, 02:16 PM

1,914 posts, read 2,247,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
Yes. I never said there was anything "wrong" with it -- just that I don't find it useful.

Well alrighty then. Thanks for sharing. Don't use it if you don't find it useful. Others may find it useful. That's their business.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events