Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2019, 06:18 AM

6,526 posts, read 4,068,775 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by catdad7x View Post
Actually I agree with you. But eventually we humans will have leave this planet when our sun begins to die, so it could be argued that we have to 'start somewhere'. That is assuming, however, that we haven't extinguished ourselves as a species long before that happens. And that is totally in the realm of possibility.
Or maybe we'll have figured out by then that nothing lasts forever and that's okay...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2019, 06:38 AM

1,289 posts, read 943,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Ryu View Post
Mars is an unforgiving environment. What would be the point if we don't get along up there? 1 little microscopic mistake and everyone is dead.
My guess is the point would be the acquisition of wealth, power, dominance. And we'd get along well enough to make agreements to try our best not to make a microscopic mistake that would ruin everything for everyone. But beyond that the gloves would be off. In other words we'd do on Mars what we've done on earth.

Old 05-29-2019, 08:12 AM

5,478 posts, read 5,751,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Ryu View Post
I don't get the obsession with Mars. We have a perfect planet in Earth which we destroy, rape and abuse but yet feel with deserve another one. We don't get along here why are we expecting anything different on Mars.
I find it weird that people anthropomorphize inanimate objects. We are not destroying, raping, or abusing the planet... The planet and the biosphere will be just fine long after we're all gone as a species, eventually to be destroyed by the expanding sun. In fact, humans do not even have a capability to totally sterilize/destroy the environment even if we tried. I'd guess we would have to redirect a massive comet into Earth to do some significant level of damage.
Quote:
Originally Posted by K12144 View Post
Or maybe we'll have figured out by then that nothing lasts forever and that's okay...
Why speak in superlatives? There is a difference between ending everything within the next 1k-10k years, and surviving for the next ~1 trillion years giving rise to intelligences who have never had a chance to be born yet. Since we haven't yet discovered any sentient aliens, without us, the universe is dead. The people who do not want to go can always just stay back on Earth. In fact, I'd expect a lot of people to do just that, and fade into insignificance of the long history of survivors.

Last edited by Gantz; 05-29-2019 at 08:22 AM..

Old 05-30-2019, 07:51 PM

6,526 posts, read 4,068,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gantz View Post
Why speak in superlatives? There is a difference between ending everything within the next 1k-10k years, and surviving for the next ~1 trillion years giving rise to intelligences who have never had a chance to be born yet. Since we haven't yet discovered any sentient aliens, without us, the universe is dead. The people who do not want to go can always just stay back on Earth. In fact, I'd expect a lot of people to do just that, and fade into insignificance of the long history of survivors.
I hate to break it to you, but human beings are not the end-all, be-all of the universe. It's not going to die without "us," I promise.

Old 05-31-2019, 07:53 AM

5,478 posts, read 5,751,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K12144 View Post
I hate to break it to you, but human beings are not the end-all, be-all of the universe. It's not going to die without "us," I promise.
Without intelligence that is aware and can contemplate the existence of the universe, the universe is dead.

Old 05-31-2019, 12:16 PM

9,127 posts, read 9,452,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gantz View Post
Without intelligence that is aware and can contemplate the existence of the universe, the universe is dead.
Or in other words, if a tree falls in the forest and there's no one there to hear it, it makes no sound.

Old 05-31-2019, 02:32 PM

23,572 posts, read 19,351,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catdad7x View Post
Or in other words, if a tree falls in the forest and there's no one there to hear it, it makes no sound.
And, what may be more important, that tree, that universe, and all the other non-human life forms that populate it do not care one rip whether humanity ever existed. The universe may not have the human equivalent of self-awareness, but it certainly is alive despite what homocentrists believe (a conceited line of thought I'll never get). Maybe some of those organisms will give an existential sigh of relief once we're long gone.

Last edited by Parnassia; 05-31-2019 at 02:46 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events