Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2019, 06:03 AM

10,386 posts, read 8,066,079 times

Advertisements

This story would be a lot sadder if not for rabies vaccine. Thank you, Louis Pasteur!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2019, 06:47 AM

2,269 posts, read 1,657,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
The injections are not so miserable now days, not that it makes him feel all that better about the situation.
True. We had to go through the protocol a few years ago. I got two injections each in right arm, left arm, right leg and one in left leg. We then had to go back for two boosters. The shots were just like regular shots. What would have been painful is if our insurance had not covered everything. It was $13,000+ [sic] for each of us for the entire sequence.

Old 05-30-2019, 12:21 PM

15,581 posts, read 10,592,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Ag 93 View Post
I had an encounter with a bat several years ago. I didn't get bitten, but I was unknowingly sleeping in a room where a bat was present. CDC recommendations are to get the shots in that case, so I did. I probably didn't need to, but I wasn't going to take a chance. The shots weren't that bad. At the time, there were only a couple of hospitals in Denver that carried the RIG, so I had to call around to the Health Department for their suggestions on where to go (I think you have a week or so before you have to start the shots). And as someone else has mentioned, the RIG is very, very expensive. After the RIG, I got the follow up vaccine shots over 7-14 days at the County Health Department. I think each one was around an additional $200.
Yikes, I did not know this. I once found a bat sleeping in our cabin loft. It never dawned on me to get the shots.

Old 05-30-2019, 01:50 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,909,236 times
Yes, the reason with bats is they can bite but there is a good chance you will never notice the bite if you are asleep. Bats also do not act the stereotype when with rabies, like an angry raccoon or something, they could carry and be fine, act just sick, etc, but not come all crazy after you attacking.

However, rabies in bats is rare, very rare, as is rabies infections in humans overall. But to keep it rare, better safe than sorry, if thinking exposed, better just get that vaccine.

A while back here in Miami, a kid died from rabies from a bat. The father caught it, put it in a bucket, the kid reached to pet it and got bit, not recall if father knew he got bit or not, or if so, obviously did not take him for the vaccine.

Old 05-30-2019, 02:58 PM

1,415 posts, read 1,201,785 times
I'm waiting for the new iRabies that is coming out in the fall.

Old 05-30-2019, 03:20 PM

5,850 posts, read 6,237,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elan View Post
Yikes, I did not know this. I once found a bat sleeping in our cabin loft. It never dawned on me to get the shots.
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
Yes, the reason with bats is they can bite but there is a good chance you will never notice the bite if you are asleep.
Yes, it's for the reason boxus points out, especially if the bat is in a room with a child or someone who otherwise may not be able to communicate well about whether or not they might have been bitten. I find it hard to believe someone could get bit and not know it, and my husband, who was in the same room with me, thought I was crazy and would not get the shots. He still teases me about it, but whatever.

Ours was in our cabin in Colorado. I woke up in the middle of the night and heard what I thought was a bird chirping in a really high pitched manner, but when I turned on the lights, I didn't see anything. At daylight, I looked over and saw it again flying near the ceiling, but this time, just by the way it was flying, I instantly knew it was a bat, not a bird. I woke my husband up, and we tried to capture it. We hard it cornered and were about to throw a blanket on it, when out of the corner of my eye, I saw another one hanging on the drapes.......we packed up and headed back to Denver since it was Sun anyway. Had to send a bat mitigation company out there and they found a colony of about 3 dozen bats who they speculated had been there many years. Sealing up the house cost several thousand dollars, which I'm sure was much more than it should have been, but they were a reputable company and this is not something we were about to do DIY on the roofline of an A frame house.....

Old 05-30-2019, 03:39 PM

15,256 posts, read 13,072,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aredhel View Post
This story would be a lot sadder if not for rabies vaccine. Thank you, Louis Pasteur!

^This, I did not know until just now. Bless Louis Pasteur and Emile Roux.

Old 06-14-2019, 07:55 AM

108 posts, read 57,148 times
How does a bat even get into an iPad case

Old 06-14-2019, 08:47 AM

12,857 posts, read 882,448 times
From the article the OP posted:

Quote:
Last November, a 55-year-old Utah man died from the virus, marking the state’s first such death since 1944. Gary Giles had contracted the disease from bats, which had been present in the family home. Giles’ widow, Juanita, told media outlets at the time that the couple had allowed the bats to land on their hands and lick their fingers because they hadn’t known that they were infected with rabies.

Seriously? Why on earth would people even think that is okay to do? Yikes!
Here's a clue: they are bats, assume they are infected. They are not pets.

Old 06-14-2019, 11:49 AM

23,572 posts, read 19,363,008 times
Sigh...

OK, before anyone goes completely off the rails, a bit of perspective with citations from the CDC and other experts:

https://batmanagement.com/blogs/bat-...in-perspective

https://www.batworld.org/rabies-info
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events