Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2019, 08:40 AM

1,186 posts, read 966,553 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
Again student loans aren't only for college. They cover technical schools, too. They are actually the bigger problem, in that they prey on the poor and the default rate is extremely high for these schools. I saw a show about them where a girl took out tens of thousands in loans for a nursing program in a private tech school, but she never had any clinicals. She graduated but no one would hire her because the school did not have any partnerships for clinicals.
Those places are predatory, and often setup shop and advertisements in the poorest neighborhoods targeting GED students and those who want to gain education. There's a ton of those ads on the subway and schools in Brooklyn with new ones seemingly popping up each year. Because they use a independent accreditation agency, the credits are often non-transferable to legitimate schools.

A friend of mine who came back from serving in the military overseas fell for one of these scams. They promised him relevant career skills to build on training he already got in the military. $75K later and he's unable to get a job b/c the reputation of the school is so awful employers won't recognize the degree. The fact these for-profit school preys on veterans is despicable and they should be shut down, IMO.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2019, 08:55 AM

17,584 posts, read 15,259,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vladlensky View Post
Those places are predatory, and often setup shop and advertisements in the poorest neighborhoods targeting GED students and those who want to gain education. There's a ton of those ads on the subway and schools in Brooklyn with new ones seemingly popping up each year. Because they use a independent accreditation agency, the credits are often non-transferable to legitimate schools.

A friend of mine who came back from serving in the military overseas fell for one of these scams. They promised him relevant career skills to build on training he already got in the military. $75K later and he's unable to get a job b/c the reputation of the school is so awful employers won't recognize the degree. The fact these for-profit school preys on veterans is despicable and they should be shut down, IMO.

Just my story..

When I graduated high school... I was accepted to Clemson and attended.. For a semester.(I tell people for a day, because it's funnier, but I did make it a full semester) At that point, the money was gone, I was working two jobs trying to come up with the money to attend.. It just wasn't possible. So.. I decided to go to Greenville Technical College.. Which is a 2 year school near Clemson. FAR cheaper.. I could go there for 2 years, knock out the lower level classes, then go back to Clemson.

Didn't work out that way.. I wound up getting an Associates Degree in Industrial Electronics from Greenville Tech.. For about.. I'd say $3000 maximum.. This was in 1995. Probably was less than $3k. Didn't wind up with the Electrical Engineer degree I originally went after, but.. I've been happy and never been out of work more than a day or two at a time.

When I started working in the field and got to the point where I was hiring people.. I saw a whole bunch of people from ECPI and ITT.. Many former military. Most of them.. Didn't know what they were doing. My little $3k education blew the barn doors off their $15k degree.

Oh.. FYI.. With Pell Grants, which covered probably $1500 of that $3000.. When I finished college.. I owed nothing.

Old 06-04-2019, 09:29 AM

14,394 posts, read 11,245,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
Just my story..

When I graduated high school... I was accepted to Clemson and attended.. For a semester.(I tell people for a day, because it's funnier, but I did make it a full semester) At that point, the money was gone, I was working two jobs trying to come up with the money to attend.. It just wasn't possible. So.. I decided to go to Greenville Technical College.. Which is a 2 year school near Clemson. FAR cheaper.. I could go there for 2 years, knock out the lower level classes, then go back to Clemson.

Didn't work out that way.. I wound up getting an Associates Degree in Industrial Electronics from Greenville Tech.. For about.. I'd say $3000 maximum.. This was in 1995. Probably was less than $3k. Didn't wind up with the Electrical Engineer degree I originally went after, but.. I've been happy and never been out of work more than a day or two at a time.

When I started working in the field and got to the point where I was hiring people.. I saw a whole bunch of people from ECPI and ITT.. Many former military. Most of them.. Didn't know what they were doing. My little $3k education blew the barn doors off their $15k degree.

Oh.. FYI.. With Pell Grants, which covered probably $1500 of that $3000.. When I finished college.. I owed nothing.
The business term is of course ROI - return on investment.

Around 16 years ago I realized my career progression was going to be limited a bit with no degree (I’m in the IT field so no degree was not a showstopper).

Many people were either taking night classes and years to do a degree locally or paying through the nose for University of Phoenix - when I called them it was around $25K and 2-1/2 years time.

I ended up spending around $5000 and a bit more than a year’s time to do a 4 year accredited business degree from scratch while working FT. Best ROI ever.

Old 06-04-2019, 02:33 PM

17,584 posts, read 15,259,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjames68 View Post
The business term is of course ROI - return on investment.

Around 16 years ago I realized my career progression was going to be limited a bit with no degree (I’m in the IT field so no degree was not a showstopper).

Many people were either taking night classes and years to do a degree locally or paying through the nose for University of Phoenix - when I called them it was around $25K and 2-1/2 years time.

I ended up spending around $5000 and a bit more than a year’s time to do a 4 year accredited business degree from scratch while working FT. Best ROI ever.

I'm in IT myself technically.. My degree being a touch more.. Generic, I suppose is the term, has opened more doors than for someone who went to school for "Network Security" or something else like that. My work experience as well.. I've done programming, component level board repair, network cabling as well as traditional networking/support.. But, there's a severe limit to going to school for IT that people don't tend to understand.

you can only go so far in IT with an education. The best IT people can't teach what they do. I wind up solving problems and fixing things and people ask "How did you know to do that?".. Well.. I can't explain it. Just intuition. No doubt coupled with experience.. But if you don't have that ability to think in different ways.. I always tell people we're looking to hire.. I can find anyone that knows that A+B=C.. I need someone who can look at that and immediately know that C-B=A

The ones who can't make that leap in their heads wind up working at a help desk reading a script and pulling things out of a knowledge base. And those are the jobs that get outsourced to India, because in reality, anyone who can read the language can do them.

And don't even get me started on the IT certifications. I've interviewed for jobs before that have said you must have A+ certification.. I got it back in 1997 when it was lifetime. Most of those certifications just mean you have half a clue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events