Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2019, 01:58 PM

89,061 posts, read 44,888,566 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
So she wanted to pump in the midst of other first class passengers, in a seat she wasn't even entitled to. What's next, wanting to paint her toenails in first class because they'll dry faster there?
I know you're exaggerating to make a point, but something like that actually happened on a flight I was on once. Woman in first class decided it was a good time to give herself a manicure prior to landing and starting her vacation. Just the smell of her nail polish remover circulating throughout the cabin was enough to generate several complaints. But then... we hit turbulence... and the entire bottle of nail polish remover spilled and soaked into the carpet. At that point, the stink was unbearable. UGH!!!
Quote:
From the Delta statement:

"Delta's flight attendants aboard flight 413 from Nice to JFK worked directly with her to provide a number of options and found a private alternative to enable this customer to pump during the flight."

But she doesn't mention that in her manufactured-outrage diatribe.

Her inlaws must not think much of her if they didn't buy her a first class seat as well. Who puts their daughter-in-law in cattle class?
So Delta provided a private alternative. She has no complaint. As to the first class seats? It's possible the in-laws got a frequent flyer upgrade and she didn't have enough of a travel history to warrant the same. Happens all the time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2019, 02:06 PM

89,061 posts, read 44,888,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blisterpeanuts View Post
But why not breastfeed the child during the 9-hour flight? Surely the baby will become hungry during that time. Plus, as a bonus, breast feeding releases oxytocin in both baby and mom, allowing you to sleep better.

My wife pumped quite a bit at home but not on the plane. We flew when our baby was quite young, since unfortunately we lived too far from the grandparents, and discreet breastfeeding under a blanket was a great solution.
Yep. We used to go everywhere with our kids when they were babies (they're 30 and 28, now). I've even nursed them in public, at the park, at a festival, on the beach, etc. Simply loosely cover yourself and the nursing baby with a pareo. Few if anyone even noticed it. No big deal.

Old 06-11-2019, 03:55 PM

4,615 posts, read 3,309,633 times
Look, there are just certain things it's better not to do when you're in close company with others. Sticking your shoeless stinky feet on the armrest in front of you is one (see the video going viral today), and using a machine to pump milk from your breasts is another, in my opinion.

The whole idea in this life is to try and behave in a way that doesn't generate antipathy in others. Is that so hard? (apparently)

Old 06-11-2019, 04:07 PM

24,201 posts, read 19,231,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndcairngorm View Post
Look, there are just certain things it's better not to do when you're in close company with others. Sticking your shoeless stinky feet on the armrest in front of you is one (see the video going viral today), and using a machine to pump milk from your breasts is another, in my opinion.

The whole idea in this life is to try and behave in a way that doesn't generate antipathy in others. Is that so hard? (apparently)
She WAS trying to avoid doing it in close company to others, that's why she initially went into the lavatory.

And way up thread, I posted a photo of what first class seats often look like on transatlantic flights. They are private, so once again, her goal was to find a place where she could pump without being in close company.

Apparently the hard thing is to not make uneducated assumptions because it is much easier to blame someone else for something they weren't actually doing.

btw, pumping breastmilk is not the same thing as shoeless stinky feet, but good to know that you feel that feeding babies is the equivalent of dirty feet.

Old 06-11-2019, 04:18 PM

4,615 posts, read 3,309,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post

btw, pumping breastmilk is not the same thing as shoeless stinky feet, but good to know that you feel that feeding babies is the equivalent of dirty feet.
Well, I figured I'd get bashed by some who like to take an easy shot, but consideration for others stlll tops my list.

Old 06-11-2019, 05:05 PM

24,201 posts, read 19,231,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndcairngorm View Post
Well, I figured I'd get bashed by some who like to take an easy shot, but consideration for others stlll tops my list.
nice how you cherry picked one line out of the rest of my post which actually detailed exactly how she had in fact showed consideration for others.

Old 06-11-2019, 11:21 PM

20,757 posts, read 8,598,194 times
Sounds like an excuse to sit in first class. She had the baby with her so no need to pump. Attention seeker on social media (yawn)

Old 06-14-2019, 11:46 PM

9,408 posts, read 11,939,135 times
Wrong lady is wrong .

Old 06-15-2019, 11:31 AM

11,829 posts, read 5,811,315 times
Quote:
The seat was paid for - she wanted to switch briefly with a relative who had the seat.

And aren't you a doctor? In that case, of all people, you should be able to comprehend that there could be reasons why breastfeeding wasn't an option for her.
You're replies to some people here are way off based - you are assuming just as much as they are. None of us were there - we have no knowledge as to why she wanted to pump her breast - reasons have been suggested but we have no idea that's what the reason was.

Like other situations - check before you board a plane - book the hotel whatever if you have any question that there might be a problem especially if needing to use a medical advice or you have a food allergy or other problem that may put others out.

Many of us breastfed so we don't have to be doctors - we've lived it - so quit talking down to people. The one guy already said he didn't have kids and was asking an honest question - READ!!!!!

Old 06-17-2019, 07:34 PM

10,493 posts, read 4,054,964 times
Quote:
Unless she planned to ride the rest of the way with her MIL sitting in her lap? then yes, I presume she intended to return to her seat afterwards.

As for the rest of it, you have no clue why this woman chose to pump. And you have no entitlement to know why. The fact is, she needed to pump, period. Her reasons are her own, and you don't get a say on that. You are free to have all the opinions you want on whether she should have tried using her MIL's seat, or whether she should have gone to social media about the situation in general. You get ZERO say on how any woman chooses to feed her baby, other than your own.
Jesus, the way you keep defending that woman makes me wonder if she is really you. Either way, she made it everyone's business the second she went crying and whining on social media about it. Either way, little miss entitlement didn't get what she wanted, and there is nothing you, or she can do about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events