Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2019, 11:50 AM

346 posts, read 239,144 times

Advertisements

What I want to know is, if she knew she was going on a long flight, why couldn't she have pumped before she left?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2019, 11:54 AM

22,087 posts, read 9,643,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Geek View Post
Someone looking for a big payday.

Old 06-03-2019, 11:56 AM

24,201 posts, read 19,309,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azureth View Post
What I want to know is, if she knew she was going on a long flight, why couldn't she have pumped before she left?
Yeah, well, perhaps you should read about breast feeding and pumping before making uninformed assumptions. Women pump more frequently than that, just like babies eat more frequently than that.

Old 06-03-2019, 11:57 AM

2,109 posts, read 2,167,578 times
Quote:
Assuming you genuinely don't know much about physiology of breastfeeding, if she is actively breastfeeding on a regular basis, she needs to pump or feed at least once or twice over the course of a nine hour flight.

Old 06-03-2019, 11:57 AM

32,741 posts, read 48,386,146 times
She was traveling with the child. What 4 month old baby can't pump breast milk right there by himself? Mom needs to pump it, put it into a bottle for the baby?

There is privacy in the bathrooms.

The whole story is wonky. I'm disinclined to believe her version of the story.

Old 06-03-2019, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
She was traveling with the child. What 4 month old baby can't pump breast milk right there by himself? Mom needs to pump it, put it into a bottle for the baby?

She said the outlets in the bathroom didn't work. And yes, sometimes breastfeeding mothers do need to pump into a bottle for baby to eat, not every baby does a good job with nursing. I don't know that this was the scenario here, but it's not all that uncommon.

Old 06-03-2019, 12:08 PM
Status: "This too shall pass. But possibly, like a kidney stone." (set 1 day ago)

35,878 posts, read 18,189,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post

To be fair, she said the electric plug in the bathroom didn't work with her pump.

But I share your curiosity about why she needed a breast pump with the baby right there.

Old 06-03-2019, 12:17 PM

5,344 posts, read 6,188,023 times
Quote:
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...pump-milk.html

So, yeah, as a guy this is definitely where women's thoughts are needed.
Why was she pumping when she had the 4 month old with her? Just trying to get additional milk? I know my wife would pump to build up reserves for when our kids started daycare, but she didn't feel the urgency to do it on a flight. But then again if the kid is fussy and/or she doesn't feel comfortable feeding in public that woman could be in real pain without getting the breast milk out for that long.

IMO it's one of those, ya kinda need more information articles,but I'd tend to side with her here, and this is speaking as a man.

Old 06-03-2019, 12:20 PM

Since people missed my answer the first time, some babies are very bad at breastfeeding and need expressed breast milk (EBM) instead. I had one of those, and he would literally be dead if he had needed to survive solely on the food he got via nursing. He was severely underweight as it was, and I had to supplement with EBM and formula.

I have no idea if that's the situation here, but it's not that unusual. Despite what some people assume, a lot of the time, breastfeeding doesn't always come naturally or easily for the baby, the mother or sometimes both.

Old 06-03-2019, 12:20 PM

346 posts, read 239,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoIsStanwix? View Post
Assuming you genuinely don't know much about physiology of breastfeeding, if she is actively breastfeeding on a regular basis, she needs to pump or feed at least once or twice over the course of a nine hour flight.
Couldn't she have just pumped enough to fill up a bunch of bottles to take with her before she left?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events