Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2019, 12:22 PM

5,342 posts, read 6,165,175 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azureth View Post
Couldn't she have just pumped enough to fill up a bunch of bottles to take with her before she left?
lol, have you ever had kids or a breastfeeding wife? That's not the only reason they have to pump. Couldn't you just pee before you leave for your nine hour flight? Why do you need to go to the bathroom during it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2019, 12:22 PM

24,204 posts, read 19,194,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azureth View Post
Couldn't she have just pumped enough to fill up a bunch of bottles to take with her before she left?
No. She would have physically needed to pump because her body continues to produce breastmilk all day and all night long. It would have started leaking out of her breasts if she went that long with nursing or pumping and apparently, for whatever reasons, pumping was what she needed to do.

Old 06-03-2019, 12:23 PM

15,250 posts, read 12,949,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
To be fair, she said the electric plug in the bathroom didn't work with her pump.
That's not surprising.

If I took my nebulizer in there, it probably wouldn't work either. It's basically a compressor. I think medical equipment draws more current than an electric shaver, which IIRC is what those bathroom outlets are meant for.

Old 06-03-2019, 12:34 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,435,785 times
Quote:
Delta's flight attendants aboard flight 413 from Nice to JFK worked directly with her to provide a number of options and found a private alternative to enable this customer to pump during the flight.

'Unfortunately, the power outlets on board this aircraft and in general are not equipped to operate a breast pump or other similar medical devices.'
So maybe the outlets in first class would not have worked either. I take a medical device for my asthma with me that is not always compatible with airline outlets, that's why it has a battery pack. I would think one could buy battery operated breast pumps as well.

They did find a solution for her. Sounds to me she's just griping because she wasn't allowed to sit in first class where she probably would have wanted to remain even after she pumped.

Old 06-03-2019, 12:39 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 2 days ago)

35,604 posts, read 17,935,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
So maybe the outlets in first class would not have worked either. I take a medical device for my asthma with me that is not always compatible with airline outlets, that's why it has a battery pack. I would think one could buy battery operated breast pumps as well.

They did find a solution for her. Sounds to me she's just griping because she wasn't allowed to sit in first class where she probably would have wanted to remain even after she pumped.
Didn't she switch seats with an inlaw so she could sit in first class?

It doesn't sound like she just went up there and occupied an empty seat - she was given the seat by the person who had been in it?

Old 06-03-2019, 12:39 PM

4,991 posts, read 5,283,788 times
No mom could not pump before she left. Nine hours is a long time. Your breasts either leak or hurt when they are too full of milk. Mom needed some relief.

Mom may be on a pumping schedule and need to keep up supplies for the baby. If you don't keep up the schedule, the milk supply dwindles. Mom may need to store the milk so baby can be bottlefed when mom isn't around.

I don't know about pumping on a plane. I was fortunate that I could do it on my lunch hour at home. I never had to do it publicly. I think if mom had involved the air host/hostess in her request, they would have helped her find a suitable place.

Old 06-03-2019, 12:51 PM

9,885 posts, read 10,968,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post

There are breast pumps available that do not require any power except the mother's hand. Yes, that's right, manual vacuum pumps; no battery, no outlet, no compatibility issues at all!
How was she going to store the milk once she pumped it? It does require refrigeration.
Yes, I do have experience with human mother's milk.
However, it was over 30 years ago...

Old 06-03-2019, 12:55 PM

1,554 posts, read 1,046,144 times
It is possible to nurse discreetly in public which I often did, even on a plane.

Old 06-03-2019, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redraven View Post
There are breast pumps available that do not require any power except the mother's hand. Yes, that's right, manual vacuum pumps; no battery, no outlet, no compatibility issues at all!
How was she going to store the milk once she pumped it? It does require refrigeration.
Yes, I do have experience with human mother's milk.
However, it was over 30 years ago...
So what was she supposed to do, step casually off the plane in the middle of the flight to buy one off of a cloud? She obviously expected the outlets on the plane to work for a pump, the way they work to charge a phone or tablet. And apparently there were outlets that did work because they were ultimately able to accommodate her needs.

Old 06-03-2019, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nefret View Post
It is possible to nurse discreetly in public which I often did, even on a plane.
You think she was choosing to pump on a flight because it was more discreet than nursing a 4 month old?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events