Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2019, 12:59 PM

12,227 posts, read 21,586,727 times

Advertisements

Pumping is no fun, and certainly would be difficult to impossible to do discreetly at your seat, especially with one poster’s manual pump suggestion! I don’t think tying up a bathroom for 20-30 minutes is very good manners either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2019, 01:12 PM

10,287 posts, read 6,381,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
You think she was choosing to pump on a flight because it was more discreet than nursing a 4 month old?
My thought exactly. Why was she pumping at all when she had her baby with her on the plane? Easier to discreetly nurse baby than use a breast pump. That certainly makes more noise than a 4 month old baby does.

Old 06-03-2019, 01:13 PM

1,860 posts, read 1,264,465 times
its very possible there are a lot more details to her need to pump. perhaps her child cant nurse. or requires medication. or has failure to thrive and needs her intake carefully monitored. perhaps mom has mastitis and has to pump and dump and has to pump on schedule or risk infection. or she has to maintain her pumping schedule in between nursing sessions to maintain enough milk to feed her child. Nursing is much more complicated than just sticking the kid to the breast.

also since she had a family member in first class she probably assumed it was ok to swap seats with them since you can swap your seats around in regular seating. it happens all the time. most likely she told the flight attendant why and they told her its against the rules. she is now making a fuss.

this is all supposition obviously but very likely.

Old 06-03-2019, 01:18 PM

24,201 posts, read 19,334,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LO28SWM View Post
its very possible there are a lot more details to her need to pump. perhaps her child cant nurse. or requires medication. or has failure to thrive and needs her intake carefully monitored. perhaps mom has mastitis and has to pump and dump and has to pump on schedule or risk infection. or she has to maintain her pumping schedule in between nursing sessions to maintain enough milk to feed her child. Nursing is much more complicated than just sticking the kid to the breast.

also since she had a family member in first class she probably assumed it was ok to swap seats with them since you can swap your seats around in regular seating. it happens all the time. most likely she told the flight attendant why and they told her its against the rules. she is now making a fuss.

this is all supposition obviously but very likely.
Exactly.

Now I will say that I would not have taken this to the media, but I looked her up and her field is publicity and communications, so I suppose that felt like a normal course of action to her.

Old 06-03-2019, 01:42 PM

11,403 posts, read 16,812,787 times
Stop the madness...

The world doesn't revolve around you.

The attendants had other private options that she wasn't happy with.....to bad.

Old 06-03-2019, 02:21 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,543,454 times
What did women do before breast pumps were invented?

From what it sounds like she had a 240v plug (euro). That wouldn't work in first either. There aren't any 240v plugs on aircraft.

It would seem a hand pump would be a much better solution for travel.

Old 06-03-2019, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
What did women do before breast pumps were invented?
Since breast pumps have been around since the 18th century and mechanical breast pumps were invented in the mid-19th century, there weren't flying on planes. Before that, they could manually express breast milk.

Old 06-03-2019, 02:35 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,543,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
Since breast pumps have been around since the 18th century and mechanical breast pumps were invented in the mid-19th century, there weren't flying on planes. Before that, they could manually express breast milk.
So women can no longer manually express? Honestly I really don't know, my wife and I have never had kids.

Electricity wasn't even installed in most folks homes until post WWI here in the states so my point is how did women survive before this? And is it not feasible now? Just a lot of holes in this story.

Old 06-03-2019, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
So women can no longer manually express? Honestly I really don't know, my wife and I have never had kids.

Electricity wasn't even installed in most folks homes until post WWI here in the states so my point is how did women survive before this? And is it not feasible now? Just a lot of holes in this story.
Did someone say she claimed she couldn't survive? I must have missed that.

The fact is that for whatever reasons, she chooses to pump breast milk and wanted the ability to do so while on an extended flight. Period.

And if you think manually expressing breast milk would be a quick and discreet process that could easily be done in public sitting in an airplane seat, well, that amply confirms your lack of knowledge about the subject.

Old 06-03-2019, 02:45 PM

10,702 posts, read 7,927,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LO28SWM View Post
its very possible there are a lot more details to her need to pump. perhaps her child cant nurse. or requires medication. or has failure to thrive and needs her intake carefully monitored. perhaps mom has mastitis and has to pump and dump and has to pump on schedule or risk infection. or she has to maintain her pumping schedule in between nursing sessions to maintain enough milk to feed her child. Nursing is much more complicated than just sticking the kid to the breast..
If any of this was the case, you'd think she would have verified that the pump would work with the airplane outlets. From the article:

'Delta's flight attendants aboard flight 413 from Nice to JFK worked directly with her to provide a number of options and found a private alternative to enable this customer to pump during the flight.

'Unfortunately, the power outlets on board this aircraft and in general are not equipped to operate a breast pump or other similar medical devices.'
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events