Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2019, 04:50 PM

14,875 posts, read 8,198,834 times

Advertisements

What a sick form of entertainment and amusement.
What a cruel, cruel thing he did. I don't feel sorry at all that he was sent to prison.
If I were the judge I think I would have sentenced him to work in a soup kitchen/homeless shelter
instead of prison though.

But, There are consequences to actions. How would he have felt if he was down and out and starving and someone did this to him?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2019, 05:45 PM
Status: "This too shall pass. But possibly, like a kidney stone." (set 23 hours ago)

35,875 posts, read 18,189,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
Toothpaste may be "meant to go in your mouth," but most types have a couple of ingredients that are poisonous. It's not meant to be eaten.
I wouldn't think he would have eaten it once he bit into it; but CERTAINLY, that small amount of toothpaste wouldn't be harmful, or it wouldn't be sold for toothpaste. You can certainly survive, with no emergency hospitalization, after ingesting the amount of toothpaste equal to the white cream on an oreo.

Old 06-04-2019, 05:48 PM
Status: "This too shall pass. But possibly, like a kidney stone." (set 23 hours ago)

I really sometimes wonder what kind of lives people live, here on the internet, where they think this annoying prank is a serious crime worthy of prison time.

Not everything that's mean is a felony.

Old 06-04-2019, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazee Cat Lady View Post
What a sick form of entertainment and amusement.
What a cruel, cruel thing he did. I don't feel sorry at all that he was sent to prison.
If I were the judge I think I would have sentenced him to work in a soup kitchen/homeless shelter
instead of prison though.

But, There are consequences to actions. How would he have felt if he was down and out and starving and someone did this to him?
And then gave him 22 bucks for being in the video? I'd guess the man would take another bite out of a toothpaste oreo. He paid him to participate in this.

When I was in high school a bunch of boys paid David W. $5 to eat a bag worm sandwich, live bagworms (for those who don't know, these are caterpillars that are nearly bald and form bag nests). After lunch, David sat behind me in Chemistry class and the worms were crawling back up into his mouth.

So I guess there's the scale I have to measure by. Eating toothpaste doesn't seem so very bad, as far as being paid to do something foolish.

Last edited by ClaraC; 06-04-2019 at 05:59 PM..

Old 06-04-2019, 06:08 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,906,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
I really sometimes wonder what kind of lives people live, here on the internet, where they think this annoying prank is a serious crime worthy of prison time.

Not everything that's mean is a felony.
Lives where we try to hold onto a bit of compassion in an increasingly hostile world?

By the same token, I'm sure other posters are wondering "what sort of lives people live" if they equate committing deliberate acts of cruelty for the purpose of broadcasting them to a rather large and very sophomoric audience to "pranks."

Thing is, Clara, is that homeless people often suffer from impaired judgement as well as strong hunger pangs; I can see a situation in which someone might eat the cookie — like the homeless man did. HTF would you feel if some "youtube star" recorded you puking and put it online for a bunch of degenerates to laugh at? And apparently, he kept showing the video even after the court ruling.

Who knows how many stupid copycat punks pulled the same "annoying prank" because youtube.

Quote:
When I was in high school a bunch of boys paid David W. $5 to eat a bag worm sandwich, live bagworms (for those who don't know, these are caterpillars that are nearly bald and form bag nests). After lunch, David sat behind me in Chemistry class and the worms were crawling back up into his mouth.
So? Doesn't parallel. Your David W. wasn't tricked into thinking the worm sandwich was something tasty, and I rather doubt it made youtube.

If it makes you feel better, Ren likely won't see any jail time.

Last edited by Metlakatla; 06-04-2019 at 06:39 PM..

Old 06-04-2019, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Lives where we try to hold onto a bit of compassion in an increasingly hostile world?

By the same token, I'm sure other posters are wondering "what sort of lives people live" if they equate committing deliberate acts of cruelty for the purpose of broadcasting them to a rather large and very sophomoric audience to "pranks."

Thing is, Clara, is that homeless people often suffer from impaired judgement as well as strong hunger pangs; I can see a situation in which someone might eat the cookie — like the homeless man did. HTF would you feel if some "youtube star" recorded you puking and put it online for a bunch of degenerates to laugh at? And apparently, he kept showing the video even after the court ruling.

Who knows how many stupid copycat punks pulled the same "annoying prank" because youtube.

So? Doesn't parallel. Your David W. wasn't tricked into thinking the worm sandwich was something tasty, and I rather doubt it made youtube.

If it makes you feel better, Ren likely won't see any jail time.
Metlakatla, I think no one who knows me would say I lack compassion.

But we've gone completely 'round the bend, when we sentence someone to 15 months in prison for pranking someone, by paying them 20 bucks to eat a few toothpaste oreos.

What sentence is left, then, for people who kick someone in anger? Because that would HAVE to be a more serious crime.

Life imprisonment?

David W was paid to eat something awful, and so was the homeless guy. After one single bite, the homeless guy knew what he was eating, and continued to eat it for the 20 dollar profit.

Same exact story. Except I'd much rather eat toothpaste than live worms.

I'm certainly not unsympathetic to the homeless man. But this is ABSOLUTELY not worth a prison sentence.

Old 06-04-2019, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
Metlakatla, I think no one who knows me would say I lack compassion.

But we've gone completely 'round the bend, when we sentence someone to 15 months in prison for pranking someone, by paying them 20 bucks to eat a few toothpaste oreos.

What sentence is left, then, for people who kick someone in anger? Because that would HAVE to be a more serious crime.

Life imprisonment?

David W was paid to eat something awful, and so was the homeless guy. After one single bite, the homeless guy knew what he was eating, and continued to eat it for the 20 dollar profit.

Same exact story. Except I'd much rather eat toothpaste than live worms.

I'm certainly not unsympathetic to the homeless man. But this is ABSOLUTELY not worth a prison sentence.
Again, Ren won't see a day in prison.

The sentencing judge had this to say:

Quote:
“This was not an isolated act,” Judge Rosa Aragonés concluded in her ruling. In other videos, Ren also displayed “cruel behaviours” toward “easy or vulnerable victims, including the offer of sandwiches containing cat dung to the elderly and children in a park" the ruling added.
https://nationalpost.com/news/world/...kie-as-a-prank

I've looked at three different articles about this don't see where it says that he specifically offered the guy the 20 euros to eat the cookies. Can you point out where it says that he gave the homeless guy the cookies with a 20 euro bill with the caveat that he could only have the money if he ate the cookies? From everything I've seen, Ren simply pretended to be committing an act of kindness for the purpose of getting something to film for his youtube channel.

Again, please point out anything that says that Ren offered the man the 20 euros on the condition he eat the cookies.

Oh, and since I doubt that your David W. was missing any meals or living on the streets, it still doesn't compare. Furthermore, your David W. knew exactly what he was eating. David W. wasn't put up on youtube so a bunch of freaks could get their kicks for the purpose of generating ad revenue. Not the "exact same story," sorry.

The sentence Ren received is also based on his putting the thing up on youtube. Different legalities come into play when profit is involved. Not sure how you can consider this on par with a gross schoolboy prank in which the victim was complicit.

Quote:
She judged the effort “to effectively capture the morbid attention of his followers” and boost advertising to be “a clear and unambiguous act of humiliating content.”
https://people.com/crime/youtuber-wh...-to-15-months/

Last edited by Metlakatla; 06-04-2019 at 09:53 PM..

Old 06-04-2019, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post

Prison should be reserved for people that society needs protection from. Can't see that guy qualifying.
Really? Because he's also offered sandwiches containing cat feces to the elderly and to children, according to the sentencing judge. Sounds as if he was preying on those most likely to actually eat a sandwich offered by a stranger in a park.

Quote:
ReSet filled sandwiches with cat feces and fed them to schoolchildren and elderly people in another sick prank, the court heard.

He defended himself in court, saying: 'I do things to mount a show: People like what is morbid.'

'This was not an isolated act,' the judge, Rosa Aragonés, said when handing down her verdict.
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world...son/ar-AAChPiw

Last edited by Metlakatla; 06-04-2019 at 09:41 PM..

Old 06-05-2019, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Really? Because he's also offered sandwiches containing cat feces to the elderly and to children, according to the sentencing judge. Sounds as if he was preying on those most likely to actually eat a sandwich offered by a stranger in a park.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world...son/ar-AAChPiw
So really, the original article was purposely misleading.

He was apparently sentenced for the whole body of his work, including feeding feces to the elderly and children.

Sometimes, if something doesn't seem right, it's because it isn't.

I'm glad to see this update - makes complete sense. And shame on the author of the first article for purposely hoodwinking.

Old 06-05-2019, 02:14 PM

1,879 posts, read 1,568,639 times
Ummm...this is a pretty odd story.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events