Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2019, 03:09 PM

13,261 posts, read 8,084,394 times

Advertisements

I've never liked videos involving homeless people. I don't like the self-ingrandizing, "Oh look at me being nice to a down and outer! I'm such a great guy!" and meanwhile the poor homeless guy has to sit there and try to make the best of it, so he can eat a damn sandwich.

Meanwhile, all the viewers of said video are supposed to sing the praises of the person handing a sandwich to a homeless guy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2019, 03:58 PM

7,357 posts, read 11,801,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie the heartbreaker View Post
The punishment does not fit the crime. The homeless man was not injured in this prank while he was given $22 by the youtuber. He should be punished, but 15 months in prison and $22,000 is way too excessive.
We may not have the whole story. He might be violating probation, or the man he pranked might have been violently allergic to that brand of toothpaste or something. There are a lot of possibilities.

Old 06-05-2019, 05:58 PM

12,334 posts, read 17,189,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassybluesy View Post
I've never liked videos involving homeless people. I don't like the self-ingrandizing, "Oh look at me being nice to a down and outer! I'm such a great guy!" and meanwhile the poor homeless guy has to sit there and try to make the best of it, so he can eat a damn sandwich.

Meanwhile, all the viewers of said video are supposed to sing the praises of the person handing a sandwich to a homeless guy.
I agree. The video is less about helping a homeless person, and more about hits and increasing the reputation of the filmmaker. It's like cheap PR. Plus, that act should be the norm as supposed to a special, filmed event. It's not though, partially due to people's faces being buried in their smartphones, sometimes watching these very videos! Many are in their own world. Had to alert 3 people the last two days to not walk into the truck backing up in the building loading zone.

Old 06-05-2019, 06:40 PM

6,185 posts, read 4,655,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
We're getting to the point where society is legitimately saying "Yeah, I don't understand someone getting a 20+ year sentence for pot", but still have people cheering a 15 month sentence for filling an oreo with toothpaste.

Prison should be reserved for people that society needs protection from. Can't see that guy qualifying.

I think more people are happy about it just due to the fact the guy is getting his comeuppance.. Which I do understand.. But at some point you do have to step back and say "Gee, maybe I don't need to use a bazooka to deal with that damn squirrel eating out of my birdfeeder." While I'm sure that would feel good and would deal with the squirrel.. You're probably just creating more work for yourself for that moment of satisfaction.
I disagree. He exploited one of society's most vulnerable for his own sick gratification, publicized it, and did so to make a profit (widely viewed Youtubers earn revenue from ads). And what's to stop someone like this from escalating their behavior? Have you not heard of the "Tide Pod Challenge", where people stupid enough to ingest this got themselves into serious medical trouble because of a stupid Youtube craze? What would keep someone like this convict from putting laundry detergent in the man's food, or Xanax, because he's getting egged on from his "fans" to "push it up a notch"? I don't see a functioning sense of right and wrong coming from someone like this to know what an appropriate boundary for behavior is, so I'm gong to go with the premise that he is someone society needs protection from.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
Who watched the movie Borat?

This is DEFINITELY not worse than the pranking that Borat did.

And it was made into a very successful movie.
This incident isn't comparable to a movie because a movie was a much more controlled environment, among professional actors who knew what they were getting into. This is real life, Borat was make-believe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffie View Post
We may not have the whole story. He might be violating probation, or the man he pranked might have been violently allergic to that brand of toothpaste or something. There are a lot of possibilities.
Yes, exactly, these are all possibilities, and it's more than an innocent "prank" as mentioned in the first part of my post.

Old 06-05-2019, 06:57 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,906,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
So really, the original article was purposely misleading.

He was apparently sentenced for the whole body of his work, including feeding feces to the elderly and children.

Sometimes, if something doesn't seem right, it's because it isn't.

I'm glad to see this update - makes complete sense. And shame on the author of the first article for purposely hoodwinking.
Thanks for taking the time to read the updates. Yes, with stuff like this, there usually is more to the story, unfortunately. Yahoo News usually just skims the surface.

Old 06-05-2019, 07:43 PM
Status: "This too shall pass. But possibly, like a kidney stone." (set 22 hours ago)

35,875 posts, read 18,189,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jowel View Post

This incident isn't comparable to a movie because a movie was a much more controlled environment, among professional actors who knew what they were getting into. This is real life, Borat was make-believe.

Yes, exactly, these are all possibilities, and it's more than an innocent "prank" as mentioned in the first part of my post.
It appears you didn't watch Borat. Unsuspecting, sweet natured people who were completely humiliated.

He was pranking everyone.

No, those who appeared in his film did NOT know what was happening to them.

Or maybe, it was Borat's YouTube I watched, where he humiliated everyone who came in contact with him. In a hilarious but very uncomfortable way.

Because frankly, his YouTube made me uncomfortable enough to not watch his movie.

Old 06-05-2019, 07:51 PM
Status: "This too shall pass. But possibly, like a kidney stone." (set 22 hours ago)

I have to say. I just went to YouTube to see Borat, and it's the funniest thing - and most uncomfortable thing - I've ever seen.

Genius.

Old 06-05-2019, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
Thanks for taking the time to read the updates. Yes, with stuff like this, there usually is more to the story, unfortunately. Yahoo News usually just skims the surface.
Yep.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events