Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-07-2019, 07:36 AM

4,288 posts, read 2,061,244 times

Advertisements

What type of animals do you expect to see in a corral?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2019, 07:48 AM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 11 days ago)

35,637 posts, read 17,989,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassybluesy View Post
Nah. It's a thread about a woman being told to cover up or leave even though she wasn't dressed indecently, and even though the restaurant doesn't have a dress code in place, and even though it's a family style casual restaurant.
Additionally, it's a thread about yet another woman who claims to have been terribly humiliated making a very public case, including bathroom selfies of her degrading outfit. Most of us, if humiliated, will do everything we can to keep that on the downlow, and hope no one we know saw what happened.

There seems to be a new breed of person, who, when she is embarrassed, for some reason seeks comfort from the public.

If I were kicked out of a walmart class restaurant for wearing something customers found unappetizing, you would NOT hear of it! The story would end right there, and the outfit would be at Goodwill.

Last edited by ClaraC; 06-07-2019 at 08:27 AM..

Old 06-07-2019, 07:54 AM

9,470 posts, read 9,379,279 times
Quote:
Her private parts WERE covered up.
Not really. Breasts used to be private...until the last 15 years or so, when women decided to flaunt them out there for all (even other women) to see.

It is an insult to other diners to look like cr*p when dining out, even at Golden Corrall.

Agree with ClaraC's post above. There is a new breed of person--people who are "you are not going to tell me what to do" types, or bullies, or just plain trashy.

Old 06-07-2019, 07:56 AM

13,262 posts, read 8,034,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
Additionally, it's a thread about yet another woman who claims to have been terribly humiliated making a very public case, including bathroom selfies of her degrading outfit. Most of us, if humiliated, will do everything we can to keep that on the downlow, and hope no one we know saw what happened.

There seems to be a new breed of person, who, when she is embarrassed, for some reason seeks comfort from the public.

If I were kicked out of a walmart class restaurant for wearing something passengers found unappetizing, you would NOT hear of it! The story would end right there, and the outfit would be at Goodwill.

We're different.

If I were kicked out of a restaurant and I thought it was unfair, I would absolutely do what she did and I admire her for doing it. She took her shame and embarassment and flipped it back on the restaurant. Good for her.

Maybe it's my age that makes me bolder, but I get sick and tired of the implied shame for being female that's so insidous in society.

Old 06-07-2019, 08:01 AM

3,637 posts, read 1,700,298 times
You know things are bad when you get kicked out of Golden Corral ! That would be akin to WalMart asking you to leave because you were dressed inappropriately !

Old 06-07-2019, 08:01 AM

2,971 posts, read 3,423,528 times
And who knows what else was exposed when she bent over at the , uh, feeding trough.

I used to be fat. It was probably the hardest thing I’ve ever had to overcome. I didn’t often pay attention to how I was dressed ( too casual but nothing revealing) because I just didn’t think it mattered. I’m grateful to the people who told me it does. And nowadays there is so much info out there, and so many clothing options.

Now I may be a bit too thin and have no desire to go back the other way. It’s a different mindset entirely. No way would I have ever been a “ fat pride” person. I was always mortified by my weight.

It is good on this woman that she is holding her own. But posting on social media and whining?

This kind of stuff reminds me of the crappy singers who go on those talent shows and for some reason expect to win and become famous. Sorry, there are standards. Whine all you want. Unfortunately (for some) this applies to most areas of life.

Implied shame for being female? When was the last time you saw an obese guy in a crop top whose junk fell ot when he bent over?

Old 06-07-2019, 08:13 AM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 11 days ago)

35,637 posts, read 17,989,189 times
Quote:
We're different.

If I were kicked out of a restaurant and I thought it was unfair, I would absolutely do what she did and I admire her for doing it. She took her shame and embarassment and flipped it back on the restaurant. Good for her.

Maybe it's my age that makes me bolder, but I get sick and tired of the implied shame for being female that's so insidous in society.
I certainly see your viewpoint, Sassy, and I've expressed both sides in this discussion. Let's drill this down to the core of what her "sin" was here, that got her kicked out.

Her sin was NOT that she's unattractive and heavy. Almost everyone in Golden Corral is unattractive and heavy.

Her sin was this: believing she was sexy in a very skimpy outfit, and feeling good about herself, although she's heavy.

That's it. That's her sin. Not being ashamed of her body. Feeling sexy and showing it off.

And yes, I am very, very uncomfortable with the desire to tell a young woman, basically, you're not worthy so don't even get started on thinking you're attractive.

So I do see your point.

But I see the manager's viewpoint too. You don't want someone in there with naked fat rolls that gets all the paying customers thinking whether they should really be eating all that fried food. He doesn't want the customers thinking too hard on what that does to a body. :-/

Old 06-07-2019, 08:16 AM

13,395 posts, read 13,515,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post

If I were kicked out of a walmart class restaurant for wearing something passengers found unappetizing, you would NOT hear of it! The story would end right there, and the outfit would be at Goodwill.
You choosing to allow strangers dictate your clothing choices is on you. This woman had a right to wear that outfit. She took the photo as evidence and yes, to get public comments.

We all know that women are scrutinized much more than men. Same with obese people vs smaller people.

Golden Corral made out on this one. I would have pushed to get them to make a public statement about their dress code. Also clarify their policy around customer complaints.

Old 06-07-2019, 08:20 AM

2,971 posts, read 3,423,528 times
Agree, Clara. Nothing wrong with a few “ makeover” suggestions vs. total destruction of her as a woman. In some of those UK photos you can see she does dress up, get her hair done etc. Perhaps she just really made a bad call on this day.

But having a “right” to do something certainly doesn’t mean you should do it!

Old 06-07-2019, 08:29 AM

13,262 posts, read 8,034,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ByeByeLW View Post
Agree, Clara. Nothing wrong with a few “ makeover” suggestions vs. total destruction of her as a woman. In some of those UK photos you can see she does dress up, get her hair done etc. Perhaps she just really made a bad call on this day.

But having a “right” to do something certainly doesn’t mean you should do it!

Her husband encouraged her to wear that outfit. She thought she looked good.

But at the end of it all...she was told to cover up or leave. She was kicked out for looking unattractive in someone ELSE'S eye. That's it. That's how easy it was to deny service. "You are unattractive. Leave." There was no written criteria of a dress code. No standard set, (except not being indecent). She didn't go into that restaurant thinking she was going to be a rebellious rule breaker.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events