Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-07-2019, 12:06 PM

36,753 posts, read 14,904,639 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LLCNYC View Post
Man or woman. No one should approve of that. The outfit was hideous. Way too small and too much "stuff" everywhere. She's a grown woman eating out. I don't want a man in short shorts sitting in a chair with his business everywhere either.

She should have known better but am I surprised? Nope. People with zero respect for themselves or others are everywhere....men AND women so please spare me the "women should build each other up" nonsense.

But what does that mean...that you don't want a man or woman sitting in a chair with whatever hanging out? Why should other diners--or the world-- care what you do or don't want with respect to other diners in a restaurant?

I'm not familiar with this particular restaurant, but if they have a dress code which wasn't met by the diner, that's between her and the manager.

Eat your damn food, and don't look at her.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2019, 12:08 PM

2,971 posts, read 3,443,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassybluesy View Post
And how would you have felt if you were told a customer complained about you, and you needed to cover up or leave?
I’m not sure we have the whole story here. I did recently see a woman whose shorts were so short you could see her pubic hair when she twisted s certain way. It was just gross. People were pretty shocked, of course. It wasn’t a case of me looking at somebody’s crotch.

But I would’ve covered up or left. Probably just left. I would assume I’ve probably done something wrong somehow and tried to cooperate. Perhaps I have a deep well of shame.

I was also recently with a guy who was turned away at a restaurant because he wasn’t wearing a tie. He just thought he could get away with it. Of course there is no “ dress code” at GC.

It’s just my opinion that I don’t think her outfit was appropriate. I don’t think flip flops and toenail fungus are appropriate in a restaurant either. Sorry for my opinion!

The point is moot though. I would never have worn that outfit ( I’ve always covered up due to fair skin) and I wouldn’t be at Golden Corral. IMO when you go to a restaurant you’re paying for more than just food.

Last edited by ByeByeLW; 06-07-2019 at 12:20 PM..

Old 06-07-2019, 01:07 PM

9,467 posts, read 9,412,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
What about in the 17th and 18th centuries? Isis' Wardrobe: The bared bosom in 17th and 18th century art

Or when it was common for women to breastfeed uncovered in public.

Blogspot? How about a decent historical site? Sure, women wore low cut gowns back then, but most “ladies” had wet nurses who fed the infants.

Women who breastfed back in the day (60’s-70’s) when breastfeeding came back “in style” would cover up their breast with a small blanket or piece of cloth, but leave enough area for baby to eat and breathe. Some women back then did not even do it in public or at the dinner table. Breastfeeding is between mom and baby. No need for every Tom, Dick and Harry to take a gander at her naked breast!

Old 06-07-2019, 01:20 PM

9,467 posts, read 9,412,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delahanty View Post

But what does that mean...that you don't want a man or woman sitting in a chair with whatever hanging out? Why should other diners--or the world-- care what you do or don't want with respect to other diners in a restaurant?

I'm not familiar with this particular restaurant, but if they have a dress code which wasn't met by the diner, that's between her and the manager.

Eat your damn food, and don't look at her.
So many people are so trashy now. It’s really a shame our society has degraded to where we are today.

Old 06-07-2019, 01:28 PM

1,430 posts, read 1,395,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassybluesy View Post
We're different.

If I were kicked out of a restaurant and I thought it was unfair, I would absolutely do what she did and I admire her for doing it. She took her shame and embarassment and flipped it back on the restaurant. Good for her.

Maybe it's my age that makes me bolder, but I get sick and tired of the implied shame for being female that's so insidous in society.
"Bolder" is not the correct word here. Wilder, or more savage, is a better word choice for what you describe.

Old 06-07-2019, 01:29 PM

13,261 posts, read 8,099,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ByeByeLW View Post
I’m not sure we have the whole story here. I did recently see a woman whose shorts were so short you could see her pubic hair when she twisted s certain way. It was just gross. People were pretty shocked, of course. It wasn’t a case of me looking at somebody’s crotch.

But I would’ve covered up or left. Probably just left. I would assume I’ve probably done something wrong somehow and tried to cooperate. Perhaps I have a deep well of shame.

I was also recently with a guy who was turned away at a restaurant because he wasn’t wearing a tie. He just thought he could get away with it. Of course there is no “ dress code” at GC.

It’s just my opinion that I don’t think her outfit was appropriate. I don’t think flip flops and toenail fungus are appropriate in a restaurant either. Sorry for my opinion!

The point is moot though. I would never have worn that outfit ( I’ve always covered up due to fair skin) and I wouldn’t be at Golden Corral. IMO when you go to a restaurant you’re paying for more than just food.
It's a different story, if there was a stated dress code, and your friend chose to see what he could get away with. If you know an establishment requires a tie, and you get busted and told to leave...that's on you.

As YOU stated, there IS NO dress code at GC. What YOU think is appropriate...for pete's sake what ANYONE thinks is appropriate for her body type doesn't matter, and shouldn't have been a consideration if she gets to eat at GC or not.

Old 06-07-2019, 01:35 PM

29,797 posts, read 34,605,248 times
One of my friends likes to tell the story of when she and her husband were in Chicago at a restaraunt that requires a jacket and tie. It was August, and the restaurant's A/C wasn't working. Friend's husband asked the waiter if it would be okay if he took his jacket off, and the waiter said yes, under the circumstances. A few minutes later the waiter came back and sheepishly asked him to put his jacket back on because some of the other diners were offended. It was nothing but snobbery.

Last edited by fleetiebelle; 06-07-2019 at 01:53 PM..

Old 06-07-2019, 01:37 PM

2,971 posts, read 3,443,898 times
Of course it’s on my friend for not wearing a tie!!!

And thinking this woman was dressed inappropriately is MY opinion! Never said it wasn’t! I don’t know if she should’ve gotten kicked out. I wouldn’t demand she get kicked out. I just know if most of the patrons there were dressed to that standard, I would walk out the door without ordering a damned thing.

And if customers complain about another customer, perhaps it is the manager’s call to ask someone to leave rather than risk problems with MORE customers. As I said, who knows what the whole story was! Perhaps several customers complained.

Perhaps places like GC assume they don’t need a dress code, and perhaps that assumption is wrong. Apparently they’re relying on people to use good judgment. Lol.

And why are picking on me for what I keep stating is MY OPINION! I stopped going to a local informal restaurant because so many customers looked like trashy slobs.

That’s my opinion and my choice. Jeez. Don’t know why I’m arguing about some place I never would go to in the first place.

I do feel for the woman. Obviously an embarrassing experience. I still can’t help thinking there’s a bit more to it.

Last edited by ByeByeLW; 06-07-2019 at 01:52 PM..

Old 06-07-2019, 01:50 PM

6,072 posts, read 6,071,136 times
Did the outfit leave little to the imagination?

Anyone has a pic of the chic in question?

Old 06-07-2019, 02:03 PM

13,261 posts, read 8,099,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ByeByeLW View Post
Of course it’s on my friend for not wearing a tie!!!

And thinking this woman was dressed inappropriately is MY opinion! Never said it wasn’t! I don’t know if she should’ve gotten kicked out. I wouldn’t demand she get kicked out. I just know if most of the patrons there were dressed to that standard, I would walk out the door without ordering a damned thing.

And if customers complain about another customer, perhaps it is the manager’s call to ask someone to leave rather than risk problems with MORE customers. As I said, who knows what the whole story was! Perhaps several customers complained.

Perhaps places like GC assume they don’t need a dress code, and perhaps that assumption is wrong. Apparently they’re relying on people to use good judgment. Lol.

And why are picking on me for what I keep stating is MY OPINION! I stopped going to a local informal restaurant because so many customers looked like trashy slobs.

That’s my opinion and my choice. Jeez. Don’t know why I’m arguing about some place I never would go to in the first place.

I do feel for the woman. Obviously an embarrassing experience. I still can’t help thinking there’s a bit more to it.

I'm not picking on you any more than I picking on anyone. You're the one using all the explanation points. You have a right to an opinion, and I have the right to disagree.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events