Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-11-2019, 12:36 PM

31,339 posts, read 14,408,497 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by boston904 View Post
I would never eat at a all you can eat place. Bad for your health
Bingo. Never been to a GC and never will be.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2019, 12:41 PM

9,467 posts, read 9,413,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerGeek40 View Post
Bingo. Never been to a GC and never will be.
Beer is good for your health?

Old 06-11-2019, 12:41 PM

13,454 posts, read 15,583,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by staywarm2 View Post
Maybe you don’t realize it, but one way children learn is by example.

Guess I’d hate living in your part of TX.
Ha, maybe you would :-)

Old 06-11-2019, 12:57 PM

17,600 posts, read 15,755,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by staywarm2 View Post
Beer is good for your health?
Hey now, easy on the beer.

Old 06-11-2019, 01:09 PM

4,083 posts, read 2,175,666 times
Maybe I've done too many lovingkindness meditations and I'm living in LalaLand with too much empathy and compassion for someone who does stuff I wouldn't do (eat at GC, wear clothing that is too tight by most people's standards, and possibly reveal more than anyone wants to see, whether it's butt cheeks or cleavage or actual boobs). But I'm pretty sure this woman's intention wasn't to flash her boobs or offend anyone for not having a perfect body. Should she have been more mindful that she could spill out of her top? Yup, ideally, the same way people should be more mindful of possible problems and malfunctions from any of their activities, like driving or even walking while distracted on a cell phone. But we all have our flaws and our short attention spans and our egos/desires that don't always lead to thinking and behaving mindful

Perhaps her husband likes bigger women and encouraged her to dress like this. Maybe she just thinks the outfit was cute and didn't want to wait until she lost x number of pounds to wear it. Don't forget this woman is all of 25 years old. She sees her peers wearing similar stuff and she wants to wear it as well. It's not going to win her any fashion awards. Not going to lead to any modeling contracts. But she wanted to wear what she wanted to wear, just as she has dyed her hair purple and got that tattoo.

I don't think her goal was to reveal her boobs or entice anyone with her sexuality, because except for some men (or women) or have preferences/fetishes for large women, she has been thoroughly indoctrinated to not think of herself as a desirable woman. I don't think she was even trying to make a feminist political statement that women shouldn't be ashamed of their bodies, regardless of type. She isn't that Belgian model who walked naked through the streets of Hasidic Brooklyn for a photo shoot. She just chose that outfit, the same way so many women choose outfits that they think are sexy for Halloween. Okay, so it's not Halloween. And not a costume party. But in June, she opted for wearing something that made her feel good...and of course she never stopped to think that she would ruin anyone's appetite or be the canary in the goldmine to show the decline of Western civilization. She either didn't think anyone would be looking at her or if they did, she hoped they would find her and her outfit cute (or at least not be judgemental about it).

If she and her family were observing proper etiquette at the buffet (using spoons, not coughing or sneezing over the food, not having the kid run around while people were carrying trays of food back to their tables) I could care less what she wore, especially since I'm convinced she wasn't trying to offend. I do think that Janet Jackson's wardrobe malfunction could have been planned for the publicity of the shock value, but we all survived that Nipplegate and can survive this as well.

Last edited by jazzcat22; 06-11-2019 at 01:23 PM..

Old 06-11-2019, 01:16 PM

13,261 posts, read 8,100,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzcat22 View Post
Maybe I've done too many lovingkindness meditations and I'm living in LalaLand with too much empathy and compassion for someone who does stuff I wouldn't do (eat at GC, wear clothing that is too tight by most people's standards, and possibly reveal more than anyone wants to see, whether it's butt cheeks or cleavage or actual boobs). But I'm pretty sure this woman's intention wasn't to flash her boobs or offend anyone for not having a perfect body. Should she have been more mindful that she could spill out of her top? Yup, ideally, the same way people should be more mindful of possible problems and malfunctions from any of their activities, like driving or even walking while distracted on a cell phone. But we all have our flaws and our short attention spans and our egos/desires that don't always lead to thinking and behaving mindful

Perhaps her husband likes bigger women and encouraged her to dress like this. Maybe she just thinks the outfit was cute and didn't want to wait until she lost x number of pounds to wear it. Don't forget this woman is all of 25 years old. She sees her peers wearing similar stuff and she wants to wear it as well. It's not going to win her any fashion awards. Not going to lead to any modeling contracts. But she wanted to wear what she wanted to wear, just as she has dyed her hair purple and going that tattoo.

I don't think her goal was to reveal her boobs or entice anyone with her sexuality, because except for some men (or women) or have preferences/fetishes for large women, she has been thoroughly indoctrinated to not think of herself as a desirable woman. I don't think she was even trying to make a feminist political statement that women shouldn't be ashamed of their bodies, regardless of type. She isn't that Belgian model who walked naked through the streets of Hasidic Brooklyn for a photo shoot. She just chose that outfit, the same way so many women choose outfits that they think are sexy for Halloween. Okay, so it's not Halloween. And not a costume party. But in June, she opted for wearing something that made her feel good...and of course she never stopped to think that she would ruin anyone's appetite or be the canary in the goldmine to show the decline of Western civilization. She either didn't think anyone would be looking at her or if they did, she hoped they would find her and her outfit cute (or at least not be judgemental about it).

If she and her family were observing proper etiquette at the buffet (using spoons, not coughing or sneezing over the food, not having the kid run around while people were carrying trays of food back to their tables) I could care less what she wore, especially since I'm convinced she wasn't trying to offend. I do think that Janet Jackson's wardrobe malfunction could have been planned for the publicity of the shock value, but we all survived that Nipplegate and can survive this as well.

This is a refreshingly compassionate POV.

By the way, her husband encouraged her to wear the top, and she did, up until the point they asked her to leave, think that the top looked cute on her.

Old 06-11-2019, 01:18 PM

9,531 posts, read 15,945,103 times
Seems like a common top to wear in Florida.

Old 06-11-2019, 01:23 PM

89,541 posts, read 45,216,754 times
Yeah... Not something I would choose to wear. But, so what? If you don't like her appearance... it's simple... just don't look at her. MYOB.

Old 06-11-2019, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Yeah... Not something I would choose to wear. But, so what? If you don't like her appearance... it's simple... just don't look at her. MYOB.
If her nipples were hanging out, as some have theorized, that is very objectionable, unless she is in a topless club!

Old 06-11-2019, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Where do you get this “MYOB?” thing. It’s a forum, a place to express ideas and opinions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events