Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2019, 09:26 PM

2,385 posts, read 3,672,966 times

Advertisements

I don't know much about helicopters, but to me, it looked like they had lots of room to land and just put her onboard. Not sure why they felt the need to treat her like a human fidget spinner.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2019, 10:25 PM

29,521 posts, read 22,668,047 times
I hope they interview her soon, she's become world internet famous and a viral meme.

Old 06-06-2019, 04:58 AM

23,652 posts, read 14,003,732 times
OH, COUNT YOURSELF LUCKY!

After all, it wasn't like this: https://www.jpost.com/Israel/IAF-pro...nefield-rescue

Old 06-06-2019, 05:27 AM

6,806 posts, read 4,477,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vrexy View Post
I don't know much about helicopters, but to me, it looked like they had lots of room to land and just put her onboard. Not sure why they felt the need to treat her like a human fidget spinner.
I thought this too. There must have been room in that helicopter to carry the stretcher empty. Why not bring the woman and stretcher inside?

Old 06-06-2019, 05:36 AM

11,199 posts, read 9,089,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indiana Tony View Post
I'm going to hell for chuckling at that poor woman's predicament ... just so much spinning.
Dude, i was LOL so hard..

Old 06-06-2019, 06:31 AM

15,421 posts, read 9,088,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
Wow, that was crazy. Most helicopter rescues cost around $12,000, and insurance won't cover it.
I'd like to see the breakdown on that. Around here helicopter rescues are performed by on duty Coast Guard members. They are very fast. They fly out, pluck somebody out of the water or off a cliff, drop them on the nearest highway for an ambulance to pick them up, and fly back to their base. It takes one hour tops. The only direct cost I can see would be $500 or $600 for fuel. If they want to throw on a bunch of miscellaneous costs, maybe they could run it up to $1,000. But if anybody is charging $12,000 for a basic helicopter rescue, it's just a money making scam.

Old 06-06-2019, 11:56 PM

685 posts, read 720,807 times
UPDATE:
This is copy and pasted from the following link:
https://www.azcentral.com/story/news...ue/1374010001/

{{{ Two days after a helicopter rescue from Piestewa Peak went viral when the basket began spinning uncontrollably, the 74-year-old woman is still feeling the effects, her husband said in a public Facebook post Thursday.

George Metro said his wife of almost 50 years, Kati, is still experiencing adverse effects from the spinning.

“As the husband of that 74-year-old woman, I can state that she was more then dizzy after her helicopter ride,” Metro said in the post.

In the post, Metro spoke of his wife’s terror during the airlift from the mountain after she was injured while hiking.

“She told me that she thought that she was going to die and that she tried to control her breathing because she felt that she was going to pass out,” Metro said in the post.

According to Metro, his wife still is recovering in the hospital, but her complications are far from nonexistent. Her face is black from the blood vessels that broke from the spinning and her arms and legs were also affected by the events.

Metro said that despite what happened, he is grateful to the Phoenix Fire Department rescue crews for helping rescue his wife, and hopes they will find a way to resolve the problem.

“I only hope that they can find a way to avoid this type of spinning in the future,” he said.

Old 06-12-2019, 09:35 PM

4,540 posts, read 2,786,962 times
I know it's bad, but I was cracking up the first time I saw this video lol.

Old 06-13-2019, 03:08 PM

19,814 posts, read 9,371,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beckerd2 View Post
UPDATE:

Metro said that despite what happened, he is grateful to the Phoenix Fire Department rescue crews for helping rescue his wife, and hopes they will find a way to resolve the problem.

“I only hope that they can find a way to avoid this type of spinning in the future,” he said.
It is nice to read about someone who was grateful for a rescue, even it it did not go smoothly (to say the least). I bet many people in the same situation would have hired a lawyer by now.

Old 06-13-2019, 06:07 PM

9,127 posts, read 9,376,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
I'd like to see the breakdown on that. Around here helicopter rescues are performed by on duty Coast Guard members. They are very fast. They fly out, pluck somebody out of the water or off a cliff, drop them on the nearest highway for an ambulance to pick them up, and fly back to their base. It takes one hour tops. The only direct cost I can see would be $500 or $600 for fuel. If they want to throw on a bunch of miscellaneous costs, maybe they could run it up to $1,000. But if anybody is charging $12,000 for a basic helicopter rescue, it's just a money making scam.
You have to break down all of the direct & indirect costs of operating the aircraft by the number of flights it makes. If it doesn't pull very many missions, then the per flight cost are going to go way up. It's more than just fuel costs. Helicopters are one of the most expensive types of aircraft to maintain, and require more maintenance man-hours than most fixed wing planes. For recuse services (private or otherwise), there are also costs involved for keeping crews on duty and ready to respond quickly. Added to all of that is the initial cost of the aircraft itself. The UH-1 Helicopter that saw heavy use as a medevac chopper in Vietnam cost the US Army just shy of $250,000.00 in 1968 dollars.

I do think the $12,000 figure thrown out here may be a bit high. But It wouldn't surprise me if it weren't in the 3 to 5,000 dollar range.

Also keep in mind that someone is going to foot the bill for the rescue. If not the individual or insurance, then who's left. The taxpayers.

As to the comment supposedly made by the pilot that spinning at the end of the hoist is rare..... Either he's isn't experienced with helicopter hoist dynamics, or the media were putting words in his mouth (I'm betting on the latter). Single point lifts below a hovering helicopter will most certainly spin, and there's very little you can do to stop it once it starts. It's the rotor wash off of the blades that causes it, because that's at it's greatest downward turbulence at a hover. They would have been better off to do a lift with the patient/basket in a vertical position. I'm surprised they didn't. What's shown in this video is one of the reasons those basket litters weren't used in Vietnam as a rule.

Last edited by catdad7x; 06-13-2019 at 06:24 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events