Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2019, 03:25 PM

43,076 posts, read 18,246,291 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gouligann View Post

The same goes for the slaughter houses. Hire a personal inspector to ensure that the animals are being slaughtered in ONLY humane methods.
There is a USDA inspector that is supposed to be there and oversee the daily activities of slaughter houses for all types of livestock as well as eggs.

https://www.fsis.usda.gov/wps/portal...inspection-101
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2019, 03:44 PM

18,158 posts, read 15,623,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
Per that one poster, even family farms must send their livestock to the same slaughterhouses the factory farms use. If that's the case, the animal has a happier life up until that day, but then will still suffer terribly.

I'm wondering if anyone knows how much different the slaughter process is for Kosher meat? I'd pay more for that if the animals were treated more humanely.

Yes. Even family ranches do wind up selling to outfits that end up sending the animals to these big slaughter houses. It's inevitable if they're running herds of any size. If you get above 20 or 30 head there's no money in it just selling locally. Sadly that is a fact. There are 300 million people in the US to feed.

When I was running cattle my little herd was a nothing. I only ran about 15-20 head at a time but not all my steers went to meat. I was selling to roping outfits for competition steers. Team roping steers. I usually only sold 5 head or so mostly to people I knew well for butcher steers. I only ran 4-5 or so cows I was getting calves from. I wasn't exactly rolling down major bucks from my cattle.

I was pretty much what's considered a total hobby outfit. But it kept my closer friends and us in good meat that we knew the history behind. My son and I helped a couple of the bigger spreads that we knew well come roundup, branding, polling and doctoring time. One memorable time my Indian buddy and I tracked down a stock killing cat that had massacred a bunch of a friends sheep. That animal did a lot of damage before we ran it to ground.

For the biggest part livestock was an up close and personal thing for my peers and I. That sort of life still exists out here. Still hanging in there. I'm out of the game now as far as running a herd but I still have my connections when it's time to buy meat. I know I'm not supporting huge ag meat plants. As far as Fairlife milk goes I've never tried it. To be honest I've kinda switched to almond milk. My GI system doesn't like real milk that much any more. Sucks getting old.

Old 06-13-2019, 03:50 PM

3,179 posts, read 2,128,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lou View Post
This is even worse than putting a dog into dog fights. As disgustingly heartless as it is to lead the dogs into injury for things like money or sport, at least there's an identifiable motive. The torture of hours-old calves is a much deeper level of sickness.

I understand that many animals would kill us in very brutal ways for food, territory, or just to be aggressive. But we're not those animals. We're more evolved in that aspect and have standards of decency and respect that extends to our co-existence with animals.

I've already seen videos of this nature. I won't watch this one.
Agreed, we’re supposed to be the evolved species, but sometimes I wonder. Like other animal abusing industries, people who don’t like and have contempt for animals are going to be attracted. With the billions of animals being high speed slaughtered, there is probably not much oversight.

I remember years ago when I wanted to do something to really help farm animals. I talked to an animal activist friend, hooked up my horse trailer and we drove to the auction and bought a bunch of young goats and a calf. We both volunteered at a rescue and she was ok with us bringing the animals there. The goats ended up staying, the calf I named Norman found a home out of state. Of course, it wasn’t a drop in the bucket, but at least a few were saved.

My neighbor has calves in his pasture fattening up, it’s so sad looking at them. I’m not going to pet this group, I’d want to buy them all. One day soon, they won’t be there. What to do, go vegetarian or vegan, if you eat meat, pay more and buy from a local source where you know they are dispatched quickly, adopt a farm animal or support groups who do. Write your representative in Washington to tell them that more animal protection laws should be in place. Don’t support factory farms. I’m glad my chickens can enjoy their life and provide healthy eggs too. The egg industry is one of the worst.

Last edited by Taz22; 06-13-2019 at 04:14 PM..

Old 06-13-2019, 04:05 PM

15 posts, read 8,792 times
Hi guys, I'm trying to go vegan but I have some autoimmune difficulties whereby auto immune paleo diet is best (which avoids legumes, grains, nuts, basically vegan protein) but I am healing and hoping I can be vegan.

In the mean time I did a lot of research about humane meat and I discovered Wild Idea Buffalo Co and North Star Bison. I think Wild Idea Buffalo looks most humane. But basically both companies work to restore the natural prairies and have the Bison live naturally. They are then "hunted"/shot with one shot ideally out in the field and harvested on site. They both have videos of the process and I am hoping they can be trusted in that they do it every time...

https://www.wildideabuffalo.com
https://www.northstarbison.com

would love to hear anyone's opinions on these as I want to do the best I can

btw what's the deal with urls on here, it always edits it to add the url tags but never seems to make it clickable for me

Last edited by staralfur44; 06-13-2019 at 04:47 PM..

Old 06-13-2019, 11:15 PM

3,836 posts, read 1,783,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by griffon652 View Post
And yes legislation is the KEY to stopping these horrible practices. In fact, most of my monetary efforts are directed towards changing legislation. Last year I took part in a legislation change in Australia that was a landmark decision that greatly increased the welfare of farm animals. However, the only way legislation changes occur is if there is widespread public knowledge and condemnation of the act. This can only happen if the public is aware of what is going on.
Griffon fair enough, but next time can you just share a link, some of those descriptions of animal cruelty was just too much to read.

Last update I read of the three men involved at Fair Oaks farm have not been arrested yet, as they couldn't find them.

Old 06-14-2019, 07:36 AM

50,748 posts, read 36,458,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wintergirl80 View Post
Griffon fair enough, but next time can you just share a link, some of those descriptions of animal cruelty was just too much to read.

Last update I read of the three men involved at Fair Oaks farm have not been arrested yet, as they couldn't find them.
They’ve arrested only one so far.

Old 06-14-2019, 09:13 AM

18,158 posts, read 15,623,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by staralfur44 View Post
Hi guys, I'm trying to go vegan but I have some autoimmune difficulties whereby auto immune paleo diet is best (which avoids legumes, grains, nuts, basically vegan protein) but I am healing and hoping I can be vegan.

In the mean time I did a lot of research about humane meat and I discovered Wild Idea Buffalo Co and North Star Bison. I think Wild Idea Buffalo looks most humane. But basically both companies work to restore the natural prairies and have the Bison live naturally. They are then "hunted"/shot with one shot ideally out in the field and harvested on site. They both have videos of the process and I am hoping they can be trusted in that they do it every time...

https://www.wildideabuffalo.com
https://www.northstarbison.com

would love to hear anyone's opinions on these as I want to do the best I can

btw what's the deal with urls on here, it always edits it to add the url tags but never seems to make it clickable for me

I don't have any idea about the url issue but as far as buffalo outfits that's a different world from the beef industry. The meat is fantastic and kill and process way different. Buffalo is kinda spendy but the way beef is getting price wise in stores if I had to buy store meat I'd be tempted to go buffalo.

It's leaner doesn't get bombarded with chemical supplements and antibiotics in massive feed lots somewhere like huge beef slaughter outfits and is just an all around better deal for the animals. Buffalo and beefalo (buffalo cattle hybrid) outfits are all pretty small scale compared to cattle so the ranching methods are a lot more hands on and personal.

That counts for a lot if the way the animals are treated is a big factor in your ....carnivorous..habits. It means a lot to me. The huge ag influence in both farming and ranching chaps me for a lot of reasons not treating the livestock as living things being at the top of the list. Trying to crush all small scale local and hobby outfits being another at the top.

Big ag would like nothing better than to squash all small operations. And it's been that way since beef became a commodity in the 19th century. Big outfits have historically waged war on small ones. They can't just ride in and burn them out anymore but they can mess with water rights and otherwise make things financially hard basically starving us little guys out.

Corporate ag is something I see as the enemy. Buffalo and beefalo outfits are in the crosshairs too. Corporate ag about had the latter operations beat down back in the 70s when there was a surge of popularity in it. But in the last decade or so it's started to bounce back. That's a good thing.

Truthfully consumers can bring a lot of pressure to bear on big ag by using smaller farming and ranching more Not just in how animals are treated but it would go a long ways toward big ags stranglehold on prices being broke. I realize that city folk don't have the options in tat regard we rural dwellers do but there are enough smaller cities and towns where lots of folks do have the option to use smaller local farms and ranches. Enough to see big ag take notice if they all come together. The same is true of dairies in a lot of areas, plus poultry, pork, and produce as well.

Give the little guys a shot at actually making it and folks get healthier products. Between the health conscious aspects and the head and shoulders above better treatment of the livestock becoming huge issues with more and more people it's enough to make big ag sweat a bit. It just tears me up to think about the bottom dropping out of corp ags bottom line (Not) but hey, this is still America. For now anyway. Maybe I'm dreaming but change has to start somewhere.

Last edited by NVplumber; 06-14-2019 at 09:33 AM..

Old 06-14-2019, 05:41 PM

43,076 posts, read 18,246,291 times
NVPlumber...they found a way to back the little guy into the corner..regulations, regulations and more regulations.
They can absorb the cost but the small time rancher can't.

Old 06-14-2019, 07:04 PM

16,215 posts, read 11,331,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by delhidi View Post
I grew up on a dairy farm. My father loved his cows and treated them well as they were our bread and butter. That is why I just don't understand why some operations would treat their animals like this. Just doesn't make sense to me.
I also grew up on a dairy operation, and my family had constant problems finding and retaining reliable hired help; agriculture is, unfortunately, the bottom of the occupational pool, and dairying is near the bottom of the agricultural pecking order.

And the drunks, druggies and other idiots in these videos are cruel, but it has to be acknowledged that they deal with a lot more than the cuddly calves in the video. Artificial breeding might eliminate the need for a bull, but working with 1200 pound heifer in heat isn't all that different

Quote:
Originally Posted by LO28SWM View Post
I don't understand people who go into animal care related jobs and abuse animals. Like find a new job. Good lort (sic)
Sometimes, they don't get a choice -- due to a criminal record, and a diligent parole officer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
Livestock on factory farms are treated horribly. Livestock on family farms is very different.
The large-volume dairy is under pressure to control all costs; that means a mass-production environment in which all livestock is used and discarded quickly; a run-of-the-mill calf usually progresses form calf hutch, to perhaps three calves and lactation cycles, to beef noodle or dog food in about five years; male calves are turned into veal a lot sooner. And these same pressures are why the "family farm" is increasingly becoming a rarity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wintergirl80 View Post
Where's the dislike button? Says a lot about you, that this is your response knowing these newborn calves were very abused.
You vegans can sit in judgement from your sheltered suburban cocoon for as long as you like, and fantasize about how you would change things if you only had more power. But American consumer tastes aren't going to change that quickly --and the illegal aliens and convicted felons you count upon to do our dirtiest and ugliest jobs can't be sweet-talked into seeing things your way.

Too much testosterone -- too little civility or common sense -- and way too much Disney.

Last edited by 2nd trick op; 06-14-2019 at 07:23 PM..

Old 06-14-2019, 08:37 PM

50,748 posts, read 36,458,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nd trick op View Post
I also grew up on a dairy operation, and my family had constant problems finding and retaining reliable hired help; agriculture is, unfortunately, the bottom of the occupational pool, and dairying is near the bottom of the agricultural pecking order.

And the drunks, druggies and other idiots in these videos are cruel, but it has to be acknowledged that they deal with a lot more than the cuddly calves in the video. Artificial breeding might eliminate the need for a bull, but working with 1200 pound heifer in heat isn't all that different

Sometimes, they don't get a choice -- due to a criminal record, and a diligent parole officer.

The large-volume dairy is under pressure to control all costs; that means a mass-production environment in which all livestock is used and discarded quickly; a run-of-the-mill calf usually progresses form calf hutch, to perhaps three calves and lactation cycles, to beef noodle or dog food in about five years; male calves are turned into veal a lot sooner. And these same pressures are why the "family farm" is increasingly becoming a rarity.

You vegans can sit in judgement from your sheltered suburban cocoon for as long as you like, and fantasize about how you would change things if you only had more power. But American consumer tastes aren't going to change that quickly --and the illegal aliens and convicted felons you count upon to do our dirtiest and ugliest jobs can't be sweet-talked into seeing things your way.

Too much testosterone -- too little civility or common sense -- and way too much Disney.
It actually is beginning to change them. Even Purdue is investing millions and alternative protein sources. It’s not only a maybe not even mainly due to things like this, but other issues such as the greenhouse gases that result from meat production. It’s pretty well established that raising beef causes more emissions into the environment and has a much larger impact on climate change then all the automobiles we drive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events