Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2019, 07:11 PM

9,375 posts, read 6,977,761 times

Advertisements

Meh hippies gonna hippy.

Veal = delicious
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2019, 10:43 PM

1,488 posts, read 1,966,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
No it's not.

Livestock is well treated and that is the norm for farmed animals.

In every industry, there are a few people who behave badly. That doesn't make their behavior the norm for the industry.

The animal rights groups have a well established history of getting their own members to abuse animals, filming it, and then claiming that all farmed animals are treated that way. So, as far as I am concerned, any videos of farm animals being abused are suspect until proven otherwise.
You are very misinformed on this subject. With the advent of the internet there are a ton of objective websites out there that refutes everything you just posted. Therefore, I'm not going to bother with a detailed explanation. Just know everything you stated in your post is incorrect. As I stated earlier, there are things allowed LEGALLY in farming these days that is worse then this behavior. So yes it is the norm.

Like I said the information is out there. If you care about this subject you will look it up yourself. Though based on your comments about animal rights groups I suspect that you don't care.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
I grew up on a ranch running beef cattle. My Dad would likely have shot hands that treated our animals this way. Running beef cattle can get rough. Rough on humans I mean. Getting kicked, stomped, mashed and run over in the skeed, etc. Fractures strains and sprains are pretty common too.

But, never ever ever do the animals get abused in any way. Someone gets hurt well, hey, welcome to cowboy country. The same rules apply in breaking horses to ride and ground breaking foals. None of our horses were ever bucked out in saddle breaking and new foals were haltered and introduced gently to the halter the day they hit the ground. With the mare in attendance.

Our mares knew what was what. They never got wound up about halter breaking of their foals. There is absolutely zero need to be harsh and cruel handling livestock. The clowns in this video need tied to the fence and bull whipped. If they pulled this crap with either my Dad's or my cattle and horses that would be a likely happening.
These are what I call the "true farmers." They are a perfect example of striking a balance between consuming animals but still treating them with dignity. Sadly, they are a dying breed. In 1-2 decades finding this type of farmer will be akin to spotting a unicorn. Factory farming dominated by a few giant soulless corporations will continue to expand and control the agriculture industry for the foreseeable future.

Old 06-08-2019, 10:59 PM

3,836 posts, read 1,786,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWFL_Native View Post
Meh hippies gonna hippy.

Veal = delicious
Where's the dislike button? Says a lot about you, that this is your response knowing these newborn calves were very abused.

Old 06-09-2019, 03:38 AM

11,122 posts, read 5,589,229 times
Like eggs? Pay a visit to a farm that produces them and see how your appetite is for them afterward. Many laying hens are kept in tight cages, where they can't even stand or move around. The air is foul with ammonia and often very hot in the summer. After a year and a half, when their egg production drops, their reward is to become small chunks in chicken soup.

Old 06-09-2019, 05:07 AM

37,612 posts, read 45,996,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXNGL View Post
Ever since I've seen ads for Fairlife milk I've wondered about this product. What in the hell does ultra-filtered mean? To me it sounds like a way to sell milk to people who have more money than brains.
I buy it. It stays fresh far longer than the other non- ultra filtered brands. I never used to finish milk before it went bad....now I do. Plus it’s delicious. I don’t consider myself to be brainless.

Old 06-09-2019, 05:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve McDonald View Post
Like eggs? Pay a visit to a farm that produces them and see how your appetite is for them afterward. Many laying hens are kept in tight cages, where they can't even stand or move around. The air is foul with ammonia and often very hot in the summer. After a year and a half, when their egg production drops, their reward is to become small chunks in chicken soup.
Our eggs come from the farm. I have no issues with how the hens are treated. We must have very different farmers here than where you are.

Old 06-09-2019, 05:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by delhidi View Post
I grew up on a dairy farm. My father loved his cows and treated them well as they were our bread and butter. That is why I just don't understand why some operations would treat their animals like this. Just doesn't make sense to me.
Yep. Lots of farmers in my family, and none of them would ever accept their animals being treated like that. 4h is very big here...I think that installs a love and respect of farm animals in you.

Old 06-09-2019, 06:26 AM

624 posts, read 763,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by delhidi View Post
I grew up on a dairy farm. My father loved his cows and treated them well as they were our bread and butter. That is why I just don't understand why some operations would treat their animals like this. Just doesn't make sense to me.
Because your Dad had a one on one relationship with his cows, I am guessing. And he chose that life.

People who work in factory farms have no such relationship with the animals they encounter. They are just doing a job. A low paid, crappy job. And chances are, they are penalized for not getting the animals to wherever they are going in a timely fashion.

I am going to work on becoming a vegetarian. So sick of reading about all of these mistreated factory farm animals.

Old 06-09-2019, 06:52 AM

1,699 posts, read 2,432,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by griffon652 View Post
Sadly this type of savage behavior towards our farm animals is the norm for all types of animals farmed in the US. There are acts of cruelty that are worse then this that are legally allowed on farm animals. All because the animal agriculture lobby in the USA is extremely powerful and has basically bribed the government at all levels to allow them to squeeze every every last penny of profit. Each extra penny of profit is gained by cruelty and torture that would make most humans shudder if they knew about it. Its so bad that most of us would probably physically try to step in and stop someone if they tried to do the same things to an animal in front of us. This is why the majority of animal farming operations never allow the public to tour their facilities. The only one that do are the niche operations that humanely raise animals.

I won't get into the graphic details but if someone is curious feel free to DM me and I will give further information. I have been a lifelong meat lover and a life long vegetable hater. However, after learning about how evil the animal agriculture industry is in the US; I went full vegan. I'm completely ok with eating meat. But what the animals endure in the US can be described with no other word then "evil." And I will never support evil in any shape or form.
Total BS post. I delivered feed to farms. The animals are more or less pampered because stress is bad for milk and or meat. Never did I see animals kicked or beaten. These animals are money. A business does not trash there money.

Old 06-09-2019, 07:12 AM

8,196 posts, read 2,844,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LO28SWM View Post
I don't understand people who go into animal care related jobs and abuse animals. Like find a new job. Good lort
Just like people work in nursing homes who are abusive to the elderly patients there. Why don't they just work someplace else?

Didn't watch the video, but I am glad they got exposed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events