Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2019, 02:06 PM

1,488 posts, read 1,966,368 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
From what I saw in the video there were no actual cattlemen among the workers. They looked like city dick types that suck down a 40 oz Colt 45 malt liquor for lunch and snort their supper. I never actually worked with dairy cattle. Though when I was in school we did go on field trips to the local dairy to see how it worked. We beef ranch kids felt ourselves lucky to be on ranches.

I've never visited a "factory farm/ranch". Don't have any around here. It's all family operations, some bigger than others. I have to mention an incident we had here a couple years ago with a friend of mines operation. He has a graze lease on a stretch of land in a pretty remote area. They went up with their hands to gather and bring them down to Winter pastures.
The "golden days" of animal farming are long over. It looks like you were lucky enough to only be exposed to the types of farms that see the animals as more then commodity. Currently, 99.9% of chicken, 99.7% egg layers, 99% of turkeys, 95% of pigs, 90%+ dairy cows and 78% of cattle are raised in factory farms. These numbers are a bit old but you get the idea. You will be appalled at the treatment these animals go through. I'm posting a link below in response to the other guy. Its quite long but very objective since it only deals with practices that are legally allowed in farming. You will be shocked when you realize just how cruel this industry is allowed to be.

All the things in that link are legally allowed so just imagine all the things that they do that's not legal. I have tons of link of that as well with firsthand accounts from USDA inspectors and the workers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by corydon View Post
Total BS post. I delivered feed to farms. The animals are more or less pampered because stress is bad for milk and or meat. Never did I see animals kicked or beaten. These animals are money. A business does not trash there money.
You know, I really didn't want to get into this subject in depth but after multiple posts from people that have no idea what they are talking about; I feel like I have to post something that's completely irrefutable. Do you understand the level of arrogance and hubris of your post? You basically stated your personal experience is the only thing that matters and just from that one experience you know everything on this particular subject. Furthermore, if you had bothered to read what I wrote you would not have responded with something so illogical.

Did you miss the part where I said that there are many practices that are LEGALLY allowed that's worse then the abuse on this tape? Most ethical subjects are "grey" enough to where both sides can put up convincing arguments and actually persuade people that the other side is BS. Luckily the subject of "abuse of farm animals" isn't one of them. Go to this link:

https://www.animallaw.info/article/b...-abuse-animals

This link spells out all the specific laws that allows inhumane acts to be done to animals LEGALLY. You know things that if done done to a puppy or kitten would make national news? Fun bonus: you can cross check these laws in state statues on a states websites so you can't even put up an argument regarding the validity of the laws. I suspect you won't be responding to my post with a rebuttal. Because after you read whats legally allowed you will realize what TOTAL BS your post was. The legal analysis in that link is from 1996 but believe it or not the laws have actually gotten crueler since then. The only exception is the state of CA.

On a side note there are other things that happen everyday in animal farming that's done regularly that's illegal. Things much worse then this stuff. But unfortunately the legal stuff is stomach turning enough to where I don't need to post the other stuff. I have done an enormous amount of objective, non biased research into this subject. So please do not come on the board with your anecdotal evidence/experience and try to call my posts lies. You will be proven wrong beyond a shadow of a doubt every time.

Last edited by griffon652; 06-09-2019 at 02:17 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2019, 05:57 PM

50,748 posts, read 36,458,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShadow View Post
Response video from the owner of Fair Oaks Farms...very appropriate and, I believe, heartfelt.

https://www.agdaily.com/video/fair-o...2Achu9Zra4a-NQ

He seems very sincerely heartbroken about this incident, and he details the training their employees go through in how to humanely handle these animals, not just on initial hire but ongoing. He stated he requires each employee sign a statement saying they will treat the animals humanely, and he thought all these steps were enough. He is now putting his own cameras everywhere there are animals being held or handled. He said he thought about cameras before, but he felt he had properly conveyed the values they held and hired people who felt the same. He said he didn't want his employees to feel they weren't trusted.

He lists one by one the steps he is taking for the future, including partnering with an animal rights group and allowing them unannounced access for inspections whenever they want. He states he is working with the county prosecutor to bring charges against those employees who abused his animals.Listing the important points for those who don't watch it.

I no longer feel it should be boycotted after watching this. He seems very disappointed that this happened at his farm and determined to make sure it never happens again.

Old 06-09-2019, 08:05 PM

6,471 posts, read 6,674,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
He seems very sincerely heartbroken about this incident, and he details the training their employees go through in how to humanely handle these animals, not just on initial hire but ongoing. He stated he requires each employee sign a statement saying they will treat the animals humanely, and he thought all these steps were enough. He is now putting his own cameras everywhere there are animals being held or handled. He said he thought about cameras before, but he felt he had properly conveyed the values they held and hired people who felt the same. He said he didn't want his employees to feel they weren't trusted.

He lists one by one the steps he is taking for the future, including partnering with an animal rights group and allowing them unannounced access for inspections whenever they want. He states he is working with the county prosecutor to bring charges against those employees who abused his animals.Listing the important points for those who don't watch it.

I no longer feel it should be boycotted after watching this. He seems very disappointed that this happened at his farm and determined to make sure it never happens again.
I agree that he *seemed* sincere in all he said. But then again, he could just be a really good "actor" who knew he'd darn well better sound sincere or risk losing his entire business due to boycotts. I have no idea really.

I have a hard time understanding how SO MANY instances of abuse went on, how there were piles of dead calves, with supervisors, managers, and the owner not knowing about it. If it was a couple of instances, maybe, but how did so much abuse happen without it being reported???

Last edited by kayanne; 06-09-2019 at 08:50 PM..

Old 06-09-2019, 09:11 PM

15,419 posts, read 9,065,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShadow View Post
Response video from the owner of Fair Oaks Farms...very appropriate and, I believe, heartfelt.

https://www.agdaily.com/video/fair-o...2Achu9Zra4a-NQ
I'm sorry that we got caught, and now I'm losing a lot of money because of it.

I couldn't even make it through his entire statement. He makes me want to throw up.

Old 06-09-2019, 11:16 PM

3,836 posts, read 1,783,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
I'm sorry that we got caught, and now I'm losing a lot of money because of it.

That's kind of my reaction too, there is no way he didn't know. The undercover people who released the video said, the abuse didn't just sometimes happen it happened everyday.

And for that, there is no excuse. Good let the owner prosecute those scumbag abusers for animal cruelty and hopefully he does install cameras, but the truth is out about his farm.

I think the guy is trying say whatever he can to not lose business.

Old 06-10-2019, 05:50 AM

30,143 posts, read 11,778,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by delhidi View Post
I grew up on a dairy farm. My father loved his cows and treated them well as they were our bread and butter. That is why I just don't understand why some operations would treat their animals like this. Just doesn't make sense to me.

One big difference. Your farm, your cows. These low wage workers have no skin in the game. They just work there and lashed out at the cows of all things, which is sick.

Old 06-10-2019, 06:25 AM

4,413 posts, read 3,470,515 times
This is devastating.
I’ve always loved the milk as it has less sugar.

Old 06-10-2019, 07:54 AM

13,262 posts, read 8,021,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wintergirl80 View Post
Its honestly one of the worst animal cruelty videos I have seen. These were newborn calves, just little babies, how any human being can willingly treat a living animal that way, is quite cruel. Every man in that video better be criminally charged and be held accountable for their ruthless behavior.

Coca Cola owns Fairlife milk and is standing behind the product, which also is disappointing. Its as if Coca Cola has no values.

Maybe you missed it in the comments, but it's suspected that the 4 individuals who were arrested actually WORK for ARM, and THEY were the ones abusing the animals.

The guy who actually owns the Indiana farm, where this happened, is a vetinarian, and he was shocked and upset at the video. And he said, at the time the video came out, that he wished someone would've spoken up rather than wait 3 MONTHS for the video to come out.

Think about that...IF the guys arrested weren't members of ARM...ARM who was doing the filming...allowed it to happen for 3 MONTHS.

Old 06-10-2019, 07:57 AM

30,143 posts, read 11,778,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by griffon652 View Post
The "golden days" of animal farming are long over. It looks like you were lucky enough to only be exposed to the types of farms that see the animals as more then commodity. Currently, 99.9% of chicken, 99.7% egg layers, 99% of turkeys, 95% of pigs, 90%+ dairy cows and 78% of cattle are raised in factory farms. These numbers are a bit old but you get the idea. You will be appalled at the treatment these animals go through. I'm posting a link below in response to the other guy. Its quite long but very objective since it only deals with practices that are legally allowed in farming. You will be shocked when you realize just how cruel this industry is allowed to be.
I don't know. I drive through New Mexico, Texas and Oklahoma often and there are endless farms with cows out in the pasture. The cows look pretty relaxed out there. There is a local rancher that has a small meat market around the corner from me with local non factory farm products from their ranch. The meat they sell is far superior to the supermarket stuff. And about the same price. There are small farms that sell local eggs all around. Again better product at about $3 a dozen.

So there are still the farms of the past. You just have to look a little harder to find them.

Old 06-10-2019, 08:07 AM

50,748 posts, read 36,458,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassybluesy View Post
Maybe you missed it in the comments, but it's suspected that the 4 individuals who were arrested actually WORK for ARM, and THEY were the ones abusing the animals.

The guy who actually owns the Indiana farm, where this happened, is a vetinarian, and he was shocked and upset at the video. And he said, at the time the video came out, that he wished someone would've spoken up rather than wait 3 MONTHS for the video to come out.

Think about that...IF the guys arrested weren't members of ARM...ARM who was doing the filming...allowed it to happen for 3 MONTHS.
He would have mentioned the abusers were not legit employees if that were more than rumor, IMO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events