Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2020, 08:19 AM

23,891 posts, read 33,633,562 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkString View Post
I loved that song. No curses to you.
This is going to be national and possibly world wide news. Dateline has been wanting to speak to my friend since he was 1st locked up. I hope that someone from Soul Asylum will see Cathy and put the video on their you tube.

We've been hoping that he would tell where Alexis was. He didn't want to be extradited to Virginia I believe because they have the death penalty plus he wouldn't be near his family. I'm hoping that he does not get the death penalty because I'll be shocked if there aren't more victims. I'd like him to be alive to know he's been caught for them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
Roselvr, that is terrible about your friend’s daughter. I am glad the adoptive father finally got caught. Hope your friend can find a little bit of peace with finding her daughter’s remains.
I'm glad he was finally caught. I'll be shocked if there are not more cases. Other police departments in Michigan are going thru cases to see if any can be tied to him. I believe they're also looking at his Navy records to see what states he was in to look at crimes in those areas too.

A few months after the girls in Ohio escaped Ariel Castro, a lady had messaged the FB page to say that in August 1989 (5 months after Alexis went missing) when she was 6, she was abducted; she wasn't sure if it was the adoptive father; but now we're pretty sure it was him. Thankfully she was able to get away from him before he sexually abused her. Similar happened in 1980. He was on his motorcycle, going to pick Alexis up from school when he tried to abduct a gal on her bicycle to sexually abuse her. Thankfully she also got away. He was caught; served a little over 5 years.

Unfortunately, the adoptive parents are still legally her parents. My friend doesn't know what lays ahead in order to be able to bury her daughter but she is prepared for a fight.

The Bowman's were retired; drawing social security. I believe his stopped a month after being locked up. I've heard she's had to get a job. I don't think she's in a position to bury Alexis and she's not in a position to fight my friend. The biggest question is whether she knew Alexis was deceased. Alexis went missing on their wedding anniversary.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maus View Post
I cannot imagine going through this myself with a family member. Your child / sibling or whoever goes missing and for a long time. Thanks - @Roselvr for sharing these updates about your friend's daughter. What a terrible tragedy.

I do like the song and after seeing the video many years ago it still makes me think about the missing kids from time to time when I just hear the song once in a while. I usually don't think much of pop music commenting on social issues, but this one seems to work in my opinion even if it is from more than 2 decades ago.

The video is on Youtube. I just wanted to mention the same Soul Asylum video has been on Youtube for almost a decade. It now has over 132 million views. And the top YouTube comment there now is a brother who mentioned that his sister was missing and featured in the video. He said she was then found some months later safe.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NRtvqT_wMeY
For some reason, the video with my friends daughter wasn't on you tube. It seems to be the only one with the rape scene. I'm not sure why they took that out.

I'll have to look at the comments. Been years since I saw the one you linked to. Glad his sister came home

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarahsez View Post
Roselvr, I hope your friend is able to find some closure.

Some of these kids may come from abusive or neglectful homes, but that's not a given. I have teens. My eyes have been opened to a lot these last few years. I've seen kids rebelling over parents simply trying to be good parents. Then we have predators out there ready to swoop in and 'help'. Some of our cultural norms have changed. It makes it really hard to parent.
I hope she's able to find closure too. She's been beating herself up about putting Alexis up for adoption even though she was a kid herself going thru a lot when she went home to her mother not knowing her mom was in bad shape from breast cancer. She was in no frame of mind to even put Alexis for adoption. Alexis was her only child. She always felt she would reunite with her one day

Last edited by Roselvr; 02-09-2020 at 08:28 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2020, 12:32 AM

3,573 posts, read 2,890,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sockeye66 View Post
I hated that song, curses to you to bring that back.
I apologize for making that statement. I cheapened anything good that came from that song.

Old 05-16-2020, 05:19 AM

23,891 posts, read 33,633,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
To update this, it looks like Dennis Bowman, the adoptive father of my friends daughter admitted to killing my friends daughter, he told them where she is. Now we have to wait for confirmation that the remains are her. He's currently in prison for a brutal rape and murder in 1980 of a lady in Virginia. I'll attach that too from another thread in genealogy.

Mom: Man confessed to killing adopted daughter in 1989 - Posted: 1:09 PM, Feb 05, 2020

Michigan Officials: Remains Found Might Be Aundria Bowman Missing Since ’89
To update this, my friends daughter was confirmed to be the remains that were buried at the adoptive parents house. My friend found out it was confirmed March 11, which was her 31st missing anniversary but law enforcement didn't announce it until yesterday.

The MI governor was ranting about something yesterday, we thought the presser wouldn't happen but it did. We didn't get to see it live but my friend Cathy had contacted news outlets to make sure they covered it. It's included at the link below.

Adoptive father has been charged with various murder charges. Next to get him to MI to stand trial even if he's sent back to Virginia.

Cathy had always planned to annul the adoption since 2013 when we learned about his sex crimes. That will be her next step once the US reopens.

Man charged in 1989 murder of his adoptive daughter
Dennis Lee Bowman faces multiple charges including felony murder and mutilation of a body.

Quote:
On Friday, May 15, County Prosecutor Myrene Koch said the girl's adoptive father Dennis Lee Bowman was charged with her death.

"Its a long time coming but, you know, better late than never," says Cathy Terkanian, Aundria's biological mother.

After extensive medical and DNA testing by the WMED Forensic Pathology and Michigan State University Forensic Biology Laboratory, the remains were positively identified as belonging to Aundria.

Bowman faces charges of open murder, felony murder, first degree child abuse and mutilation of a body. If convicted, he faces life in prison. He will be extradited from Virginia to Michigan. He is currently being held in a Norfolk, Virginia jail facing charges in connection to the 1980 murder of a Norfolk woman.

Terkanian isnt done fighting. She plans to have the adoption annulled and to have her daughter buried properly.

"That's when its done, that's when I'll be vindicated," says Terkanian. "That's when she'll be vindicated."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events