Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2019, 03:07 PM

4,430 posts, read 2,707,461 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
If I was him, I'd offer half the strip each to the existing villas, at $10K each. If rejected, I'd remove the mailboxes and renew the offer at $12K each. If rejected, I'd get a concrete saw and start cutting into the garage wall at my property lines with an offer to stop for $15K each. If rejected I'd keep going until I got to the backyard.
The mailboxes would simply be moved to the other side of the driveways. And there's very likely an easement for the wall (the first house I bought had a garage that extended about a foot onto adjacent property - it was protected by an easement).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2019, 04:31 PM

15,420 posts, read 9,075,004 times
Quote:
If I was him, I'd offer half the strip each to the existing villas, at $10K each. If rejected, I'd remove the mailboxes and renew the offer at $12K each. If rejected, I'd get a concrete saw and start cutting into the garage wall at my property lines with an offer to stop for $15K each. If rejected I'd keep going until I got to the backyard.
You would need to get a demolition permit. He could probably start by removing the mail boxes. Then put up one of those large Public Notice signs on his strip of land with plans for demolitioning the wall between the two garages. Then wait and see if that gets a response from the property owners.

If that doesn't work, another solution might be for him to get a court order for the owners to remove their structure from his property.

Old 06-16-2019, 04:40 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,219,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
Not very smart, are you?

Smart enough to not get myself into that kind of situation so what I actually could do or would do about it is something I haven't put a lot of thought into.

Old 06-16-2019, 04:48 PM

8,063 posts, read 12,779,194 times
Best thing this guy can do is accept he made a 10k dollar mistake and move on with his life. He didn't get "Ripped off" as the thread title claims; he made a mistake. Whining about it only lets others in his life know he's foolish.

Let it go. If 10k is a significant sum of money in your life maybe you're not suited to real estate speculation

Old 06-16-2019, 04:50 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,722,762 times
Quote:
Smart enough to not get myself into that kind of situation so what I actually could do or would do about it is something I haven't put a lot of thought into.
I think most people are.

I have a feeling the guy might have a case for deceptive advertising since he thought he was buying the villa and should schedule a consultation with a real estate attorney, but how dumb can someone possibly get...

Old 06-16-2019, 05:02 PM

24,202 posts, read 19,210,098 times
He was greedy, thought he was going to get the bargain of the century and didn't bother to do his due diligence. This article linked to in the original link has more details

https://www.sun-sentinel.com/local/b...coy-story.html

Quote:
“It’s deception,” said Holness, a first-time auction bidder from Tamarac. “There was no demarcation to show you it’s just a line going through [the villa duplex], even though they have the tools to show that.”

Holness said that property appraiser pictures linked to the auction site showed the villa as being the parcel he was bidding on.

But the appraiser’s site and information on the county’s tax site also show the negligible value of the property, that there is no building value, that the land takes up only 100 square feet and that the property is one-foot wide.

Old 06-16-2019, 05:03 PM

6,341 posts, read 14,687,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarahsez View Post
And how long have the garages been there? They might have some rights of adverse possession.
In my state, you can't "adverse possess" state/government land, so when it goes to tax sale, the clock for adverse possession restarts - unless the claim was won & recorded before property reverted to the state.

Old 06-16-2019, 05:10 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,722,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
He was greedy, thought he was going to get the bargain of the century and didn't bother to do his due diligence. This article linked to in the original link has more details

https://www.sun-sentinel.com/local/b...coy-story.html
Thanks for that. Figured there was more to it than the tabloid story. SMH. He beat out another bidder by $100. Stupid is as stupid does.

ETA this tax assessors office has been involved in some shady stuff related to tax-deeds in the past.

https://www.sun-sentinel.com/local/b...222-story.html

Last edited by Metlakatla; 06-16-2019 at 05:34 PM..

Old 06-16-2019, 05:31 PM

3,070 posts, read 2,400,022 times
It looks like Florida allows adverse possession of property after seven years (among other conditions). If the current/previous owner was there continuously for that long, it would be worth a consultation with a real estate attorney to see if he a case against the county. "When this possession is maintained, the possessor will automatically become the owner of the property despite admittedly having no lawful claim to the land prior to adversely possessing it." Some employees of the county noted their concerns about putting the lot up for sale before the auction.

If nothing else, the attorney could tell him how to avoid traps in buying a home.

Old 06-16-2019, 05:52 PM

4,992 posts, read 5,290,988 times
In this story that was previously posted, https://www.sun-sentinel.com/local/b...coy-story.html, it states that one owner her property in April after he had already bought his. Her title company did not flag it. Maybe she could make a deal with the buyer and go after the title company to buy it from him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events