Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2019, 09:38 PM

36,754 posts, read 14,821,115 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meemur View Post
I've seen several houses like that. I was on a team cleaning out one after elderly owner died. There weren't dead cats, but there were bugs and filth in several rooms just a few feet short of the ceiling. Yes, we were in suits and had masks.

The elderly owners had clinical depression, OCD, and other mental challenges. It wasn't right, but I can understand why the caregiver(s) may have stepped away in the Iowa case. It takes a team to tackle a problem like that when it has been allowed to get that bad.

Also, in many cases, there is no cure. The owner generally ends up in a mental hospital or other facility.

Well, that's true. And if you look at this particular hoarder's home, it's not much different from what you'd find in the homes of hoarders who amass other types of things.

And as in those cases, family members aren't prepared to deal with the underlying illness. That's when others have to step in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2019, 09:45 PM

15,417 posts, read 9,065,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delahanty View Post
Rescuers, in protective gear, were only allowed to enter the premises for 30 minutes at a time. The dead cats were found in refrigerators and freezers throughout the house, and the man refused to cooperate, thinking that he (and the cats) should be allowed to remain there.

The animal rescue organization is overwhelmed because this is the area's third hoarder case in six weeks, and the living (so far) 186 cats and kittens need treatment and care.

The photos are disgusting:

https://coleandmarmalade.com/2019/06...0-still-alive/
The only thing that surprised me about the story was that the suspect is male. I guess it just proves that there are Crazy Cat Men out there too.

Old 06-21-2019, 11:30 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,689,558 times
Let's not forget why it is so difficult to do something about it.

Quote:
The ARL lobbied Iowa lawmakers in the 2018 session to strengthen animal cruelty laws, including requiring mental health evaluations for offenders, like in cases such as this. The bill passed unanimously out of the Iowa House, but Iowa Senate Majority Leader Jack Whitver refused to bring it to a floor vote before the session ended.

He needs to voted out of office.

Old 06-22-2019, 06:09 AM

17,298 posts, read 22,030,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
I'm not going to look at the pictures.

But I wonder how many people assumed the cat hoarder was a woman?
I certainly did!

I've been to a house with 2 cats and it smelled like a kennel, couldn't imagine hundreds dead or alive.

In other news, the house was free of rodents!

Old 06-22-2019, 06:17 AM

31,340 posts, read 14,259,269 times
Sad story.

Old 06-22-2019, 08:36 AM

19,620 posts, read 12,218,208 times
There were some cat hoarders on the Hoarders tv show with dead cats discovered under the piles, and some "stored" in the freezer. Some of the dead cats had been there so long they were dried out and flat like a cardboard cutout.

Of course all of these people are mentally ill, but it takes a lot to get full guardianship and control of an adult.

By this guy's photo he looks really out of it, and older than his age. It is fascinating that in one of the photos in the midst of the hoard and feces there appears to be a small air purifier. Maybe at one point he tried.

Old 06-22-2019, 09:58 AM

130,170 posts, read 12,088,000 times
very sad. I hope the cats get new homes & the man receives whatever help he needs too.

Old 06-22-2019, 10:33 AM

15,218 posts, read 10,306,731 times
I can't even imagine the smell. We had a dead mouse in the walls at work one time and the smell was nauseating.

Old 06-22-2019, 10:36 AM

6,757 posts, read 8,282,243 times
What a horrific situation for those cats! Thank goodness the surviving cats have been rescued, and hopefully the gentleman hoarder gets into a good place where he can get appropriate care and supervision. A place with a visiting cat would be nice, like the nursing home we chose for my aunt. Every week, they brought in a cat to visit with the cat lovers.

Old 06-22-2019, 02:42 PM

1,415 posts, read 1,187,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
But I wonder how many people assumed the cat hoarder was a woman?
I did. I've never heard of a Crazy Cat Man before.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events