Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2019, 02:30 PM

51,338 posts, read 37,022,552 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
I would have assumed a final walkthrough was a normal part of the job.

Plus if you were a passenger on the plane and there was someone still sleeping when everyone got off, wouldn't you mention that to the FA as you exited? I would be worried they were dead, or at least ill, if they were sleeping through all of that.

I'm not saying it didn't happen, but it does seem very odd.
I’ve woken people before when we reached the last stop on the train. That was a long time ago though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2019, 02:35 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,909,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
I can't imagine being such a heavy sleeper that I can sleep through landing and the noisy passenger unloading.
Yea, I do not get that one either. She either has a medical condition, took some sleeping pills, or did not sleep for over a day, to be so asleep that she fell to sleep right away on such a short flight, and stayed asleep through all the landing and unloading.

Old 06-25-2019, 06:07 PM

31,304 posts, read 32,975,354 times
I don’t know how anyone could sleep through an airplane landing? I can’t think of anytime that the plane didn’t hit the runway hard, and slowing down to a stop was always another issue of being tossed around in my seat.

Old 06-25-2019, 06:36 PM

33,046 posts, read 36,664,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AksarbeN View Post
I don’t know how anyone could sleep through an airplane landing? I can’t think of anytime that the plane didn’t hit the runway hard, and slowing down to a stop was always another issue of being tossed around in my seat.
I once fell asleep with my eyes open. I didn't even know that could happen. I regained consciousness with my eyelids at half mast. Ouch! I tried to blink and I couldn't. That was when my husband worked a lot of hours and I had an energetic toddler. It's more likely that my eyes opened while I was asleep, but I have no idea.

Old 06-25-2019, 11:37 PM

4,374 posts, read 11,265,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AksarbeN View Post
Says something for the pilot's landing skills

Old 06-26-2019, 12:31 AM

102,362 posts, read 108,650,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adventuregurl View Post
Says something for the pilot's landing skills
Yes, that's true. Some landings are quite smooth.

Old 06-26-2019, 03:47 AM

859 posts, read 710,332 times
What a horror she's been through!

It's suitable to be idea of a horror movie, to be a passenger and to wake up from sleep to find yourself stuck on the dark airplane, and there is no one there, then start looking for exit

From all your comments I see that you just wonder about

How strange thing to happen.
How could this happen?
Why did this happen?
How could someone sleep in a short trip?
How could someone be able to sleep during landing and so on?
How could no one think to wake her up weather flight attendants or passengers?

All these questions are important but honestly not all of it is that strange, for instance, I'm not surprised that she fell in sleep during a short trip and much noise. If someone was exhausted and didn't sleep the night before, she could fell in sleep in such circumstance and worse even if she was a light sleep.

This incidence although it's strange and shouldn't suppose to happen but it happened anyway. Otherwise they wouldn't write about it in news. So, the really thing that I'm thinking about when I read this incidence is what would you do if this happened to you?

It's good that this woman managed to control her panic and feeling and to search for ways to get out of the airplane.
Being alone, at airplane, dark place, can't use charger for her phone, no communications, far distance, is a difficult circumstance. Luckily, she found single standard flashlight that didn't help her at first.

There is something comes to my mind as a way to get out of the air plane but I don't know if this could work or not, or a good idea or not, it's just a thinking.

I'm thinking if if were in her position, I might think to use the "life jacket" that placed under the passengers seats' and looking to find some water in the airplane. According to the safety instructions of any airplane; Life Jacket once touch the water, it will light.

So If I blow the life jacket then pour some water on it, it's supposed to light, according to those instructions. So, no need to worry about having charger to turn it on like phone or not.

If it worked, I see to try to hang every light life jacket (that supposed to be light now) in the every window of the airplane, starting with the front window (if she could enter there) because the front window of any airplane is always an obvious place, easy to get someone's attention from outside. The airplane is too big, so I don't expect her to use all the life jackets, just use some of them from right and left sides in a way that makes the airplane has lights from everywhere. Like this I think she must get their/or someone's attention faster.

I suggest them to add a new safety instruction that tell the passenger where to go and what to do when someone get stuck inside of the airplane like that

If there is nothing work at all, I think you just need to wait and be patient, at the end of the day someone will come. because they could forget u but they will NEVER forget the airplane whatever passed of the time.

Old 06-26-2019, 04:57 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,212,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimrob1 View Post
I think I read AC put her up in a Hotel.
They offered. She declined, since she was at her home airport.

Old 06-26-2019, 10:15 AM

11,936 posts, read 13,186,088 times
My husband and I got snowed in in Chicago one February (we were staying at a friends). When our flight was finally able to get out, we had been out until about 2AM and had to be at the airport at 5AM for a 6:30 flight.

Needless to say we passed out cold on the plane.

We woke up in Kansas City and the Captain was trying to wake us and the rest of the plane was empty.

Embarrassing to say the least.

Old 06-26-2019, 10:26 AM

51,338 posts, read 37,022,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
My husband and I got snowed in in Chicago one February (we were staying at a friends). When our flight was finally able to get out, we had been out until about 2AM and had to be at the airport at 5AM for a 6:30 flight.

Needless to say we passed out cold on the plane.

We woke up in Kansas City and the Captain was trying to wake us and the rest of the plane was empty.

Embarrassing to say the least.
Hopefully you were going to Kansas City, LOL.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events