Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2019, 10:36 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,781,199 times

Advertisements

she got a fun story now. not exactly a tragedy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2019, 10:41 AM

24,201 posts, read 19,261,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
My husband and I got snowed in in Chicago one February (we were staying at a friends). When our flight was finally able to get out, we had been out until about 2AM and had to be at the airport at 5AM for a 6:30 flight.

Needless to say we passed out cold on the plane.

We woke up in Kansas City and the Captain was trying to wake us and the rest of the plane was empty.

Embarrassing to say the least.
at least someone did a walk through to make sure the plane was empty!

the other thing this story is good for is a reminder to bring a battery back up charger for your phone. I never travel without one. Heck, I don't even go to a doctor's appt without it, because you never know how long you could end up waiting these days! lol!

Old 06-26-2019, 11:01 AM

2,218 posts, read 4,377,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Authentic Bird View Post
What a horror she's been through!

It's suitable to be idea of a horror movie, to be a passenger and to wake up from sleep to find yourself stuck on the dark airplane,
The Langoliers.

(TV Miniseries based on a Stephen King novella)

Old 06-26-2019, 02:08 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,227,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cska View Post
Don’t you know the saying? You snooze you lose!

She should be grateful she didn’t get dumped on the tarmac
I disagree with this. She should not be grateful for any part of this experience. It must have been traumatic.

Old 06-26-2019, 02:11 PM

249 posts, read 197,004 times
Not discounting the experience she had, but oh how I wish I could sleep that soundly!

Old 06-26-2019, 06:27 PM
Status: "It's WARY, or LEERY (weary means tired)" (set 7 hours ago)

16,086 posts, read 21,206,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Authentic Bird View Post
So, the really thing that I'm thinking about when I read this incidence is what would you do if this happened to you?

If there is nothing work at all, I think you just need to wait and be patient, at the end of the day someone will come. because they could forget u but they will NEVER forget the airplane whatever passed of the time.
I'd think to myself that airplanes have blankets and pillows, and most likely food and beverages, and a bathroom. I'd just settle in until morning and make the best of it, even though it would be all kinds of boring and a major PITA. Then I'd be looking for some compensation from the airline, free travel vouchers or something. Turn those lemons into lemonade.

Old 06-26-2019, 08:19 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 21 days ago)

35,692 posts, read 18,057,688 times
She woke up at midnight. Had she just stayed put, it seems pretty clear she would be discovered at dawn the next morning when they put the plane back in service. Really, no danger of any harm.

It seems to me there are two problems:

1. She has a serious sleeping disorder if she goes to sleep on a short flight and wakes up hours later, after the plane landed and everyone deplaned. Didn't ANYONE think to waken her as they walked past her to get off the plane?

2. A simple walk through should be procedure - it would take less than a minute - to ensure there are no passengers still in their seat or in the restroom.

Old 06-27-2019, 01:18 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,227,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
She woke up at midnight. Had she just stayed put, it seems pretty clear she would be discovered at dawn the next morning when they put the plane back in service. Really, no danger of any harm.

It seems to me there are two problems:

1. She has a serious sleeping disorder if she goes to sleep on a short flight and wakes up hours later, after the plane landed and everyone deplaned. Didn't ANYONE think to waken her as they walked past her to get off the plane?

2. A simple walk through should be procedure - it would take less than a minute - to ensure there are no passengers still in their seat or in the restroom.
My guess she was jet lagged and/or took a sleep med.

But yes to #2. Even if the crew had to quickly deplane in order to make their next flight assignment, there should have been backup procedure to guard against this.

And I am not second guessing what passenger did. I would not want to spend the night on a cold airplane with non working toilet and no water or food.

Old 06-27-2019, 02:07 PM

130,687 posts, read 12,182,133 times
I am surprised there is no walk through, to look for sleeping passengers or stowaways or left baggage, which could be harmful.

Old 06-27-2019, 02:12 PM

16,429 posts, read 12,558,288 times
I'm surprised there's no overnight crew cleaning the planes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events