Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2019, 07:14 PM

31,304 posts, read 32,953,354 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Essentially a passenger fell asleep about halfway through the short flight, and when she woke up she found herself in a pitch dark plane all on her own. The plane wasn’t even parked at the gate anymore, but rather had been towed somewhere to park overnight, and was locked.

The passenger’s cell phone was in the process of dying as she woke up, and the chargers don’t work when the plane isn’t turned on or hooked up to power. She tried to go into the cockpit and use the radio, but that didn’t work.

Without any options she eventually opened the main exit door, and tried to plan an escape. She realized it was a significant drop, though, so didn’t jump. She found a flashlight and then tried to use that to get attention, but had no luck. Eventually she managed to flag down someone on a baggage cart.
https://onemileatatime.com/passenger...-canada-plane/

Amazing that she was left behind like that on the airline, one would think that the flight attendants would have discovered her before they left. I wonder if they charged her for the extra flight. Good thing she was able to get off that plan, no one can stay alive for days eating that airline food they provide.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2019, 11:54 AM

9,545 posts, read 16,589,850 times
When I read this yesterday I wondered how often this happens.
Because it happened to me years ago on a Northwest Airlines 747. I was in the Air Force and was travelling from Boston to Anchorage. The flight had stops in Minneapolis and Seattle. I fell asleep. The flight was late arriving in Seattle, so Northwest terminated the flight there. I knew nothing about it slept thru the announcement. You would think the crew or other passengers would have noticed a sleeping 20 year old. No one did and so I awoke to an empty 747 with no one around. Unlike the poor woman on Air Canada, I was able to get off because the cleaning crew came on. Northwest booked me for a next day flight to Anchorage. I spent the night in the Seattle USO. There wasn't mush said by the airline how this could of happened.

That woman on the AC flight had it much worse than my experience. There really is no excuse for an airline to be so lax on monitoring flights. Yes its the pax responsibility to stay awake, get on and off the plane. However things happen. My case I had extreme jet lag. I had actually started my trip in Frankfurt Germany with a 2 day layover in Boston. I was completely exhausted and not use to jet lag.

I'm glad that woman is ok, but I am wondering how often this happens.

Old 06-25-2019, 11:58 AM

9,545 posts, read 16,589,850 times
I think I read AC put her up in a Hotel.

Old 06-25-2019, 12:18 PM

23,517 posts, read 19,234,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimrob1 View Post
That woman on the AC flight had it much worse than my experience. There really is no excuse for an airline to be so lax on monitoring flights. Yes its the pax responsibility to stay awake, get on and off the plane. However things happen. My case I had extreme jet lag. I had actually started my trip in Frankfurt Germany with a 2 day layover in Boston. I was completely exhausted and not use to jet lag.
While I certainly agree no one should have missed her I can see that it may not have been fault of the airline, but a contracted cleaning service. Airline staff could have easily been off the plane on to other flights before servicing was finished. Cleaning crews probably would have been the last in the cabin, but if they don't know the plane's flight schedule don't pay any attention to passengers.

Old 06-25-2019, 12:18 PM

59 posts, read 58,344 times
Don’t you know the saying? You snooze you lose!

She should be grateful she didn’t get dumped on the tarmac

Old 06-25-2019, 12:44 PM

1,860 posts, read 1,260,440 times
When I read this story all I could think was there was no one looking for her? No mom or dad or boyfriend husband girlfriend best friend? Noone?? That's kind of sad. If I didn't turn up my husband would track my flight and find me

Old 06-25-2019, 12:58 PM

16,441 posts, read 12,611,323 times
I can't imagine being such a heavy sleeper that I can sleep through landing and the noisy passenger unloading.

Old 06-25-2019, 01:08 PM

102,308 posts, read 108,476,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimrob1 View Post
When I read this yesterday I wondered how often this happens.
Because it happened to me years ago on a Northwest Airlines 747. I was in the Air Force and was travelling from Boston to Anchorage. The flight had stops in Minneapolis and Seattle. I fell asleep. The flight was late arriving in Seattle, so Northwest terminated the flight there. I knew nothing about it slept thru the announcement. You would think the crew or other passengers would have noticed a sleeping 20 year old. No one did and so I awoke to an empty 747 with no one around. Unlike the poor woman on Air Canada, I was able to get off because the cleaning crew came on. Northwest booked me for a next day flight to Anchorage. I spent the night in the Seattle USO. There wasn't mush said by the airline how this could of happened.

I'm glad that woman is ok, but I am wondering how often this happens.
That's really strange. How hard is it for the crew to check all the seats before leaving? Why isn't that standard procedure? Checking to make sure everyone's off the plane? I find it very strange that they don't do that.

I can relate to your level of jet lag. With an extreme time change, one can go into deep sleep.

Old 06-25-2019, 01:15 PM

102,308 posts, read 108,476,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LO28SWM View Post
When I read this story all I could think was there was no one looking for her? No mom or dad or boyfriend husband girlfriend best friend? Noone?? That's kind of sad. If I didn't turn up my husband would track my flight and find me
Most passengers don't have someone meeting them. They catch a shuttle or grab a rental car, or take public transit, if that's an option. If a friend happened to have tried to call her later in the evening, they wouldn't have thought much of it, if they didn't get an answer. Maybe assumed shed' gone out to dinner, or had gone to bed early, or something.

Old 06-25-2019, 01:44 PM

24,201 posts, read 19,309,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
I can't imagine being such a heavy sleeper that I can sleep through landing and the noisy passenger unloading.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
That's really strange. How hard is it for the crew to check all the seats before leaving? Why isn't that standard procedure? Checking to make sure everyone's off the plane? I find it very strange that they don't do that.

I can relate to your level of jet lag. With an extreme time change, one can go into deep sleep.
I would have assumed a final walkthrough was a normal part of the job.

Plus if you were a passenger on the plane and there was someone still sleeping when everyone got off, wouldn't you mention that to the FA as you exited? I would be worried they were dead, or at least ill, if they were sleeping through all of that.

I'm not saying it didn't happen, but it does seem very odd.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events