Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-15-2019, 11:33 PM

1,153 posts, read 567,409 times

Advertisements

I don't think they should have asked her to cover up. The outfit is not that revealing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2019, 11:58 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,022,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by john620 View Post
One would think a medical doctor would be concerned about health enough not to carry around excessive fat and be at risk of shorter life expectancy and a bunch of ailments. I certainly don’t want her as my doctor.
Who are you even talking about?

Old 07-16-2019, 06:14 AM

19,219 posts, read 17,091,524 times
Not the most flattering look for her but nothing inappropriate or revealing but in todays world everyone is a victim so I'm sure this will get played to death.

Old 07-16-2019, 09:26 AM

2,444 posts, read 2,870,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
I think that since airlines are questioning their customer's outfits (and sometimes they are right), they should post dress code guidelines. I would be very happy to see something like that in place.
Some people have no sense of decency and they DO dress very inappropriate in public. Perhaps they have no mirrors at home and no self-criticism or think they are cute, but my eyes are often offended...
No wonder that airlines call their customers "cattle". I saw see-through outfits, butt cracks, hanging out fat bellies, breasts that were just about to fall out the deep cleavage, and other Walmart-style. If words can be offending, some people outfits are offending too...
Exactly. That outfit she was wearing was fine for a beach or resort but IMHO not appropriate outside of that.

Old 07-16-2019, 01:42 PM

9,511 posts, read 6,103,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
I've already showed the picture of the white woman that was kicked out of a Golden Corral. She was about the same size and her outfit was about as tacky.

In either case, I doubt the self-serving selfies they posted online are exactly the way they looked when they were confronted. I just don't really think the business employees just happened to suddenly snap just on them for no reason.
Yeah, I know my line of thinking is not quite working. I feel like the white woman was provocative in a negative way, resulting in her experiencing a form of discrimination but I remember that she said ‘my husband liked it ...’ & that was good enough for me to justify my empathy for her.

The black woman, I think, was wearing an outfit that would not have been as provocative on most white women. I feel like she looked provocative in the best way, although the context here is that provocative = bad.

To be blunt; I thought her butt looked great in that romper; I’m jealous!

Old 07-16-2019, 01:56 PM

1,186 posts, read 102,013 times
But I heard it was a Hispanic attendant and a black supervisor who confronted her,
So how could she blame she was racially picked out?

Old 07-16-2019, 02:34 PM

3,573 posts, read 2,882,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLaRock1 View Post
But I heard it was a Hispanic attendant and a black supervisor who confronted her,
So how could she blame she was racially picked out?
One protected class illegally discriminating against the same or another protected class doesn't make it legal.

That said, I have no idea if she was illegally discriminated against or not.

Old 07-16-2019, 03:19 PM

2,176 posts, read 1,324,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
Supposed to? According to who?

And hopefully, those are the clothes you wear every day, as you are more likely to be involved in a car accident then you are a plane crash.
It is just a common sense and a long time knowledge:
look up melting temperature for polyester, or whatever fabric you are wearing on the plane and compare that to a cotton, wool, linen.
Have fun on the operating table ( if you survive) getting melted synthetic being pulled out from you skin! Bits by bits. You may not survive your burns!

In the car - you have your own door/ window and you only need to get yourself out as soon as possible in case of fire.
In the airplane - hundreds of people with a few exits lining up narrow aisles for their turn to slide out of the plane.
Luckily, flight attendants trained to push everyone out in a maximum of 90 seconds- they have to grab and push you- good luck sliding on your near bare bottoms ( in case with this doctor).
It would be very long 90 seconds for her in that outfit in case of fire and evacuation.
Just typing safe flying clothes brings up this article
https://traveltips.usatoday.com/safe...ane-59229.html

Last edited by Nik4me; 07-16-2019 at 03:49 PM..

Old 07-16-2019, 03:35 PM

2,176 posts, read 1,324,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
In defense of the doctor...

Anyone who's been in Houston in the summer can see the practicality of her outfit.

I have to go over there next month for a couple of days and I'm not looking forward to the stifling heat & humidity.
She could have brought a light scarf or a light weight top like a poncho, shirt, etc- and taken it off once deplaned.
I guess next we could see some guy in swimwear and a “ wife beater” boarding in Jamaica for Miami?
Why can’t he wear swimming trunks/speedos on the plane then?
The planes are air conditioned- cover yourself- it is not about your race, shape- it is about other people who are too close to your skin for comfort.

In the the US a lot of people are so full of themselves and so oblivious that one’s clothes should be suitable for an occasion.
This outfit is fine for a family bbq, beach, gardening, etc
On the plane and at the airport a bit of consideration should be given to all the people around.
Who wants to seat next to this person when her skin can touch you by chance in those narrow seats?
Walking through the aisle with tiny shorts at your eye level if passengers are seated?
Common!...

Last edited by Nik4me; 07-16-2019 at 03:45 PM..

Old 07-16-2019, 03:49 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,022,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nik4me View Post
She could have brought a light scarf or a light weight top like a poncho, shirt, etc- and taken it off once deplaned.
But why should she have to do that? Is the sight of a woman's collarbone really that upsetting to people that she would need to wear a poncho? Why even stop at a poncho, why not just go all out and say women should be wearing burqas. Seems to be the only thing that would satisfy some posters on this thread.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events