Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2019, 12:43 PM

16,557 posts, read 19,738,751 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gantz View Post
If you are using Chrome, your duckduckgo searches are also probably recorded. Google also pays something like $1 billion per year to Mozilla foundation (Firefox) for their search history as their default search in the address bar is Google.
That's technically NOT what Google is paying Firefox for. They are paying to be the default search engine. Which you are free to change.
https://www.cnet.com/news/google-fir...-push-privacy/

Quote:
Gmail
- More...
- Flag
- Archive

I have run out of free space before in my Gmail account, where I was encouraged to delete some things to make room. You have to select "More..." then "Move" and move it to "Trash". Then delete it from trash.
It has always annoyed me that Google tries to push archiving so much. But as has been said, it is very easy to configure it to delete. Even easier with the new Gmail app.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jowel View Post
One question becomes how do you handle when you visit with someone who does have them in their home? It's their home, which means they can do what they want to as far as they are concerned, but their guests don't consent to this crazy spying. Do people who feel this way just simply refuse to visit them?
You don't have to "handle" everything. These devices are not recording you 24/7 without your consent.
Fact. They are not.
Quote:
It's a little like someone who has a crazy dog in the house that paws all over visitors. Certainly the homeowner/resident can have a dog in the house, but that dog doesn't have the right to jump guests. It seems similar to this situation.
It's nothing like that....

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrawberrySoup View Post
Landlords start requiring a 'character' score issued by some service
As a former Landlord I would pay good money for this feature.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2019, 03:54 PM

6,135 posts, read 4,622,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
You don't have to "handle" everything. These devices are not recording you 24/7 without your consent. Fact. They are not.
Maybe, maybe not. If the recent news stories are true, Google has leaked that they have listened to its users private conversations without the user's consent. Either way, there's enough mistrust or doubt as far as I'm concerned to never own such a device. This kind of previously unthinkable invasion is becoming more pervasive.

Old 07-17-2019, 04:06 PM

6,503 posts, read 3,444,701 times
Quote:
That's technically NOT what Google is paying Firefox for. They are paying to be the default search engine. Which you are free to change.
https://www.cnet.com/news/google-fir...-push-privacy/

It has always annoyed me that Google tries to push archiving so much. But as has been said, it is very easy to configure it to delete. Even easier with the new Gmail app.

You don't have to "handle" everything. These devices are not recording you 24/7 without your consent.
Fact. They are not.

It's nothing like that....

As a former Landlord I would pay good money for this feature.
Hey, LexisNexis! LOL!

Old 07-17-2019, 06:14 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,739,303 times
I've got that Buffalo Springfield song going in my head again and it's overriding Janis Joplin on my infected Sonos One speakers.

Old 07-18-2019, 11:35 AM

16,557 posts, read 19,738,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jowel View Post
Maybe, maybe not. If the recent news stories are true, Google has leaked that they have listened to its users private conversations without the user's consent.
You apparently haven't read any of the articles, like the one in the first post of this thread that started this entire conversation. When you say Alexa or Google and speak to your device, that is the data this article is about. It is NOT about these devices recording everything you say all day and sending that back to HQ.

Old 07-18-2019, 01:31 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,739,303 times
Quote:
You apparently haven't read any of the articles, like the one in the first post of this thread that started this entire conversation. When you say Alexa or Google and speak to your device, that is the data this article is about. It is NOT about these devices recording everything you say all day and sending that back to HQ.
Reminds me of talking to flat earthers. You can spend all your time trying to convince them of the truth, but it won't do a bit of good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events