Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2019, 02:08 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 5 days ago)

35,623 posts, read 17,953,728 times

Advertisements

This is such a sad story.

It would be helpful, though, if it included a blurb about what to do if you're in that situation.

I wonder how much the insulin costs - is this something a church or other nonprofit would have helped with?

Did his family know he wasn't able to afford it?

Did his doctor know?

https://www.kvue.com/article/news/he...0-155cb87edccc
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2019, 02:28 PM

31,304 posts, read 32,878,282 times
Canada is 10 times cheaper than the US. This is pharma corporate crime and the elected representatives who fail to correct the problem. It’s NOT up to the charities, churches or other groups that can help, it’s a government problem. Elderly and poor have always been cutting back on their medical prescriptions to make ends meet if they can.

Old 07-13-2019, 02:44 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,145,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AksarbeN View Post
Canada is 10 times cheaper than the US. This is pharma corporate crime and the elected representatives who fail to correct the problem. It’s NOT up to the charities, churches or other groups that can help, it’s a government problem. Elderly and poor have always been cutting back on their medical prescriptions to make ends meet if they can.
I agree.

Years ago a good friend of mine turned 26 and needed to go off of her parents insurance. One of her key medications cost $800 a month. That was totally out of the question for someone making minimum wage. Six months later the affordable care act started and she was able to get insurance that paid all but $25 of her medication. Luckily, being off that medication for six months didn'treally hurt her, as she had "saved up" some pills and was able to get some free samples from her doctor so it was not off "cold turkey".

I personally know a number of elderly people who can't afford their medications.

Old 07-13-2019, 03:09 PM

21,865 posts, read 25,129,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post

It would be helpful, though, if it included a blurb about what to do if you're in that situation.

I wonder how much the insulin costs - is this something a church or other nonprofit would have helped with?

Did his doctor know?

Not much. $25/vial. I mean, it still adds up. Not uncommon for a Type 1 diabetic to use 4 or more vials a month, so $100/month, $1,200/yr. Really depends. When I was in college working part-time $100/month would have been significant. For something essential I could and would have gone to my parents if needed. Nowadays I'm more like most people and blow $100/month without even realizing it on various things.

Old 07-13-2019, 03:18 PM

15,250 posts, read 12,957,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post

Did his doctor know?

Perhaps it wouldn’t be sad if the writer had included facts instead of quoting an insulin activist and family members.

Old 07-13-2019, 03:20 PM

15,250 posts, read 12,957,322 times
Walmart sells insulin for $24.88 a vial and you don’t need a prescription.

It’s the older type of insulin and may not be appropriate for everyone. Ask your doctor.

Old 07-13-2019, 03:34 PM

8,052 posts, read 12,772,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
Not much. $25/vial. I mean, it still adds up. Not uncommon for a Type 1 diabetic to use 4 or more vials a month, so $100/month, $1,200/yr. Really depends. When I was in college working part-time $100/month would have been significant. For something essential I could and would have gone to my parents if needed. Nowadays I'm more like most people and blow $100/month without even realizing it on various things.
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-u...-idUSKCN1PG136

Try over 400 dollars per month. I do not have diabetes nor do I know anyone with it HOWEVER I am aware of the massive price increases for diabetics.

I have personal opinions of this situation (non-prosecuted violations of anti-trust and consumer protection laws). No I am not in the mood to debate my opinions.

Old 07-13-2019, 03:45 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,145,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
Are you sure? That sounds rather low. I thought that it was a lot more expensive than that.

One of my medications costs $4,500 a month without prescription insurance (that's $54,000 per year -Wowser!) and even with my top of the line prescription insurance costs $12,000 a year. And you hear people complain about the cost of Insulin a lot more than they complain about the cost of arthritis medication.

Old 07-13-2019, 04:12 PM

531 posts, read 452,680 times
I pay $25 a vial at Walmart and use nine vials a year. My total expense for that treatment is about $300 a year.
Unfortunately, about twelve years ago a pharma company came out with a new insulin, glargine, brand name Lantis, and spent a lot of money getting doctors to prescribe it. They even got the alternative long-acting insulin (Type L) taken out of production. Now there are a few diabetics who do noticeably better on Lantis. Most don't. But the price is in the $1,200 a month range and it is pure profit. I suspect that is what the subject of the news article was prescribed.

Any doctor who prescribes Lantis for a patient who was doing well on the old insulin is unethical. If your doctor is more concerned with keeping the drug rep happy than with keeping your costs down, you need a different doctor.
Ordinary insulin used to be OTC here in Indiana, but some idiot in the State Legislature got it put on the prescription list a few years ago. So if somebody screws up my prescription records, I might just die of hyperglycemia.

Last edited by Ed Ferris; 07-13-2019 at 04:13 PM.. Reason: correction

Old 07-13-2019, 04:22 PM

21,865 posts, read 25,129,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wartrace View Post
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-u...-idUSKCN1PG136

Try over 400 dollars per month. I do not have diabetes nor do I know anyone with it HOWEVER I am aware of the massive price increases for diabetics.

I have personal opinions of this situation (non-prosecuted violations of anti-trust and consumer protection laws). No I am not in the mood to debate my opinions.
No one uses 16 vials a month, that's a huge amount of insulin.

Most people use analogs as they're better for some people and more convenient and since insurance covers it the cost to them is probably the same or similar to human insulin.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events