Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-16-2019, 09:24 AM

146 posts, read 74,537 times

Advertisements

There's always the possibility she hallucinated, although this is pretty doubful with no history of psychosis.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2019, 09:25 AM

9,940 posts, read 7,835,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
You know, I agree with Clara. Over the years, I've done lots and lots of hiking and backpacking and just being out in wilderness both alone and with small groups. The story doesn't make sense. Our local paper (the couple lives in the same county I do) reported that she "ran for hours" after encountering the man with the knife. She ran AWAY from her husband who was within earshot. That is inexplicable to me. He wasn't far away. She knew which way to go to get to him because she could hear him. Running toward him would be running toward safety; running the opposite direction into unknown wilderness until you are totally disoriented doesn't make any sense.

It seems to me that she must have been crazed with panic and completely unable to think rationally. Otherwise, having made the decision to run away from safety, the best thing to do would be to crawl into some hiding place (of which the area afforded plenty!), stay concealed until dark, and then make her way back toward the road which would not be that far away. But since she ran for hours and thereafter felt she could "only travel at night," she must have been convinced the man was still nearby and following her. Highly unlikely, as it would have to be one incredibly determined pursuer to keep on her trail for four days in a barren, semi-arid wilderness area with no food or water, but panic will do that to a person.
I've hiked a lot as well, both in California and here in the Carolinas. I just can't picture this area. Usually in the very dry areas, there is very little growth and more visibility. Saibot, can you describe this area?

I just don't know how, in a dry area, she could run so far from her attacker that he couldn't find her. And even if he couldn't see her, wouldn't the dog make noise?

Old 07-16-2019, 09:26 AM

15,517 posts, read 9,216,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTLightning View Post
They said they were going to return the money, sad that you think that's what this was about, money.
The entire story is fishy from beginning to end. I see nothing about them returning the money. Only that they are no longer accepting donations. But the page is still open and accepting donations. Why haven't they shut it down?

Old 07-16-2019, 09:32 AM

9,830 posts, read 11,610,857 times
Did anybody see her husband? I'd disappear too
But seriously, in these current times of people faking kidnappings,Rapes, muggings, homelessness it's just hard believe that people are being honest.

Old 07-16-2019, 09:34 AM

3,850 posts, read 4,168,510 times
The woman and her family were on Good Morning America this morning: https://www.goodmorningamerica.com/n...g-dog-64359787

Old 07-16-2019, 09:34 AM

31,304 posts, read 32,953,354 times
Question .

What I don’t understand is; if she was frightened by someone with a knife why would she NOT run towards where the vehicle and husband are? Instead she apparently ran in some other direction “away†from the only help that she should have known was there.

Old 07-16-2019, 09:37 AM

4,418 posts, read 3,499,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by city living View Post
I really hope some of these people go back and read the stuff they posted.

People talk about their "instincts" or "feelings" about something---look how wrong most people were here.

But now that they were wrong about the husband or the birds, they must find fault with the woman. "If there was an attacker, why didn't she run toward her husband?" Really? You're right---if someone is being threatened (and I am not saying that she was, but let us say that she was) they are always thinking clearly and people are always able to run in whatever direction that they want!

I tend to agree with the "I couldn't think clearly" thing -- EXCEPT that here, in the "TMI" Facebook post from the son, he implied that she intentionally ran in the direction she did, cognizant that her husband was in the other direction:

"She ran away downhill and knew that my dad was beeping and yelling but had to get away from this man chasing her and trying to rape her."

Old 07-16-2019, 09:38 AM

13,388 posts, read 6,476,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
The entire story is fishy from beginning to end. I see nothing about them returning the money. Only that they are no longer accepting donations. But the page is still open and accepting donations. Why haven't they shut it down?
The daughter posted a screen shot of an email she sent to GOFUNDME asking them to refund peoples donations.

Not sure how the site works. Can they just refund money or are they dependent on the site to do it?

Old 07-16-2019, 09:40 AM

14,406 posts, read 11,848,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraG View Post
I've hiked a lot as well, both in California and here in the Carolinas. I just can't picture this area. Usually in the very dry areas, there is very little growth and more visibility. Saibot, can you describe this area?

I just don't know how, in a dry area, she could run so far from her attacker that he couldn't find her. And even if he couldn't see her, wouldn't the dog make noise?
It's dry and qualifies as a "desert" climate based on precipitation, but it's not flat barren sand. It's mountainous with lots of rocks, shrubs, and conifers. The campground, of course, would be flat, but the surrounding areas, not so much.

Here are some Google images:

Road to campground:

http://www.starimager.com/Images/Obs...ndview%200.jpg

Campground entrance:

http://www.itoda.com/photos/albums/g...%2706/3-27.jpg

Area being searched:

https://media1.s-nbcnews.com/j/newsc...9.fit-760w.jpg

I don't know if the dog making noise was a factor. It might very well have been a yapper or whiner, and in any case, you can't make a dog stay quiet. Maybe she wanted to get far away for that reason; she thought he would find her if she hid because of the dog.

Old 07-16-2019, 09:42 AM

1,153 posts, read 570,656 times
I have to say I find it all a bit odd. How can an attacker survive living out there in the wilderness? The OTT details the son posted seemed so weird, too.

I wonder whether she just wandered off and got lost but didn't want to be hit with a bill for wasting police time so made up the story about the rapist?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events