Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-16-2019, 04:42 PM

4,430 posts, read 2,744,001 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by coschristi View Post
LOL but JesusMary&Joseph ... I didn't say a bird did it, I said the bird I saw could do it. I said if it wasn't the husband it could be the bird (& I was wrong) & I said that in one case a bird did do it. I also said there is a good chance that in other 'missing in National Forest' cases; that what I saw could account for the very strange presentation of evidence eventually found.
I find it amusing that you think claiming a bird could carry off an adult human is less ridiculous than claiming a bird did specifically carry off this particular human.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2019, 04:56 PM
Status: "This too shall pass. But possibly, like a kidney stone." (set 11 days ago)

35,994 posts, read 18,280,610 times
Anybody catch the national NBC news segment this last half hour with the live interview?

I didn't get a chance.

Old 07-16-2019, 04:59 PM

2,540 posts, read 6,245,807 times
Did she carry her dog for 4 days? Sorry I missed this, but how did the dog get away from her to be found first?

Old 07-16-2019, 05:00 PM

6,804 posts, read 4,514,169 times
We had considered donating to the rescue, but decided to hold off for a while. The family promised to return all GFM money if Sheryl was found before the money was spent.

Apparently they lied. Now there's a message stating they're using the money to hire a private detective to hunt down the "alleged attacker". That seems wrong to me.

Maybe the "attacker" was invented after mama heard how much money had been collected for her rescue? They needed a reason to keep almost $15000.00.

It's terrible to be so skeptical, but this is the world we live in. I'm just glad we didn't part with our money.

Old 07-16-2019, 05:09 PM
Status: "This too shall pass. But possibly, like a kidney stone." (set 11 days ago)

35,994 posts, read 18,280,610 times
Interesting. The GFM amount has gone down from 27K to 4K. Somehow, people seem to be getting their money back, OR, the Powells are withdrawing it.

Edited to add: People are posting on the daughter's facebook page that GFM has notified them they should expect a refund in 3-7 days.

Last edited by ClaraC; 07-16-2019 at 05:26 PM..

Old 07-16-2019, 05:26 PM

1,153 posts, read 571,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javacoffee View Post
We had considered donating to the rescue, but decided to hold off for a while. The family promised to return all GFM money if Sheryl was found before the money was spent.

Apparently they lied. Now there's a message stating they're using the money to hire a private detective to hunt down the "alleged attacker". That seems wrong to me.

Maybe the "attacker" was invented after mama heard how much money had been collected for her rescue? They needed a reason to keep almost $15000.00.

It's terrible to be so skeptical, but this is the world we live in. I'm just glad we didn't part with our money.
I don't mean to sound cynical either, but I think you're right to be skeptical if you don't know the recipient personally. You cannot always know for sure how the person on the receiving end will use the funds in reality. E.g. when my brother died, his drug-addicted wife set up a fundraiser asking for funds to help family members fly over for the funeral. Lots of people donated because she had just lost her husband, in reality she spent the money on drugs.

I let Gofundme know but what could they do once the money had been withdrawn.

Old 07-16-2019, 05:33 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,335,567 times
I think it would be helpful for people who post new info to cite their sources, so others could see what they have seen.

Old 07-16-2019, 05:34 PM

13,388 posts, read 6,484,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wasel View Post
Forgot to ask—why was she separated from the dog? How did that happen? She said in the GMA interview that the dog provided something to focus on (caretaking) so I don’t understand why she would separate from her. I missed that piece.
She said she left the dog tied up by a water source. She didn't really explain why. Maybe she thought it would be easier to travel without the dog?

Old 07-16-2019, 05:36 PM

13,388 posts, read 6,484,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
They posted they were going to hire a PI to look for the guy they did not know existed until she was found and told them about it? The post I saw said they were keeping the money to pay a PI to look for the guy who chased her with a knife, not to look for her or find out what happened to her.

Now it is even more fishy. Not going to buy they somehow predicted that she would be found and would related being attacked by a guy with a knife. Did they go to a medium to get that information.

Anyone want to bet lunch that money never gets returned? I still wonder why they continue to accept donations if they are just going to give the money back.

The more they say, the less I believe their story. However it is not possible for me to believe it any less at this point.
Do you have a link to the post you are describing? I never saw that. The GoFundMe site is not accepting any further donations.

Old 07-16-2019, 05:36 PM

146 posts, read 74,670 times
I've changed my mind -she does look way too good, both mentally and physically, for someone who just spent 4 days in the wild. With the gofundme page I smell a rat, I think this story is a bunch of bs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events