Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-16-2019, 06:28 PM

13,388 posts, read 6,484,131 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Right. The dog's barking was heard by search teams. She saw the helicopters, shemust have known there'd be search teams on the ground, as well. But still she didn't scream or yell "HELP" or anything. Maybe she was afraid the knife guy would find her, if she did?
I don't know. According to her the search helicopters were a pretty good distance away. If I recall she said she was in a "different canyon" than the helicopters. She may not have thought there were ground searchers closeby.

In any case, I don't know if she screamed or how long anyone could scream especially if they were dehydrated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2019, 06:29 PM

15,615 posts, read 9,274,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondy View Post
Do you have a link to the post you are describing? I never saw that. The GoFundMe site is not accepting any further donations.
Now they finally shut it down, due to social media pressure. It looks like they have returned $25,288 of the $29,628. Which is good. They still have $4,340, that they have not returned.

Old 07-16-2019, 06:32 PM
Status: "This too shall pass. But possibly, like a kidney stone." (set 11 days ago)

35,988 posts, read 18,280,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
Now they finally shut it down, due to social media pressure. It looks like they have returned $25,288 of the $29,628. Which is good. They still have $4,340, that they have not returned.
Yes. And the daughter has posted a brand new update, everyone will get a refund.

No further mention of hiring a PI.

I do have to strongly empathize with the daughter and son. Geez.

Old 07-16-2019, 06:33 PM

9,970 posts, read 7,875,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
The latest update to the OC Register article quotes Powell as saying the man pursued her on the first day. Then,

So for three days she was wandering around lost. An experienced hiker in that terrain would not only have a good idea which cardinal direction she ought to be heading in, but would also climb up as high as possible to look for the campground/road. It's rough terrain, but not thickly forested. If you get to a reasonably high point you can get a great view of your surroundings. I wonder if she even tried that.
Thanks for posting the photos earlier.

You're right, she should've had the common sense to climb higher to see where she was.

Anyone else notice all the mountain climbing/repelling posts on the son's FB page? In a way, made me wonder if he wants the notoriety and publicity for some future venture.

I'm so jaded, something just isn't right with this whole tale.

And as for donating to search and rescue? I remember reading how some agencies actually send a bill.

Old 07-16-2019, 06:34 PM

13,388 posts, read 6,484,131 times
Quote:
Well I doubt they set up a scam to make $4000 so I am assuming they will return that amount as well eventually.

I also don't agree that they shut it down due to social media pressure. Probably more like they contacted GoFundMe reps who didn't respond immediately, but didn't understand they could turn off donations themselves. Or, maybe they were in the hospital by their mom's bedside understandably unconcerned about what was going on with GoFundMe. Go figure.

Bottom line. They said they would refund the GoFundMe donations if Mom was found and apparently that is exactly what they are doing.

Old 07-16-2019, 06:37 PM
Status: "This too shall pass. But possibly, like a kidney stone." (set 11 days ago)

Quote:
Well I doubt they set up a scam to make $4000 so I am assuming they will return that amount as well eventually.

I also don't agree that they shut it down due to social media pressure. Probably more like they contacted GoFundMe reps who didn't respond immediately, but didn't understand they could turn off donations themselves. Or, maybe they were in the hospital by their mom's bedside understandably unconcerned about what was going on with GoFundMe. Go figure.

Bottom line. They said they would refund the GoFundMe donations if Mom was found and apparently that is exactly what they are doing.
Yes. With an intermediary step that lasted all day long today; where they were stating they would use the funds to hire a PI and more SAR.

It really seems, out of kindness, this story should fade from the media and there should be no more mention of Sheryl's interview with the sheriff's department today, and her appointment with the sketch artist.

Old 07-16-2019, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
Yes. And the daughter has posted a brand new update, everyone will get a refund.

No further mention of hiring a PI.

I do have to strongly empathize with the daughter and son. Geez.
Honestly, I don't care if they return it or not. But it is interesting, either way. Normally, GFMs like that are shut down immediately when a person is found. Sometimes the money is returned, sometimes it's not.

The part about them wanting to hire a PI with the money, was pretty bizarre, just like the rest of the story.

Old 07-16-2019, 06:42 PM

2,971 posts, read 3,444,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coschristi View Post
As sheltered as the owner & pilot of an Alaskan 'hunting tourism' aviation company? I guess so.
Get em , cos. I was trained to survive in the Everglades if I had to. All kinds of crazy stuff goes on in the remote places for sure.

Old 07-16-2019, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Honestly, I don't care if they return it or not. But it is interesting, either way. Normally, GFMs like that are shut down immediately when a person is found. Sometimes the money is returned, sometimes it's not.

The part about them wanting to hire a PI with the money, was pretty bizarre, just like the rest of the story.
I think they were just in shock, and initially believed the mom's story.

(an aside, I am a little curious about the tiny dog. wandering the desert for 4 days, only a little stagnant water to sip and no food, didn't seem to be the worse for wear, and there's no indication vet care was even needed or in fact considered).

Old 07-16-2019, 06:51 PM

Quote:

Well then, they had the time to post an update and say they were no longer accepting donations, but they didn't have the time to hit the button to actually shut off donations. Even when multiple people explained to them, how to do it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events