Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2019, 05:06 PM

9,345 posts, read 4,321,091 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
The farther east you get the more Victorian society seems to get. Here in Oregon there is no law against a woman going topless anywhere. Men can go topless, so can women. It's not common, but it's not illegal either. A few years ago a woman spent all afternoon wandering around downtown Eugene with no top. The cops didn't do anything until she got into a fight with another woman who objected.

It's also illegal in this state to interfere with a woman breast feeding a child. The old "it's for the children" chant doesn't play here, since women are officially mammals and children are what breasts are for.
In Canada courts have ruled banning top less females is illegal in both BC and Ontario. Don't think it has been challenged elsewhete. There was a news story last year of a female cyclist being arrested in Ontario and the PD ended up apologizing.

Not sure why 5 year old's would be uncomfortable about a top less woman.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2019, 06:07 PM

2,790 posts, read 1,642,621 times
The USA is still conservative about nudity. With how liberal the country is going, I'm surprised it's still embarrassing nowadays. There are posters in Europe with topless women. Sometimes nipples really are just nipples. And I read somewhere that teen sex is lower there because it's not such a stigma.

Old 07-17-2019, 06:21 PM

36,754 posts, read 14,816,833 times
It's been legal for decades in NY, "thanks" to a local group of protesters.

Old 07-17-2019, 07:15 PM

15,402 posts, read 7,468,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
That doesn’t apply to all of the west coast. For instance you can’t be topless on any LA County beaches. Each town and county set their own ordinances.
Are men allowed to go topless? If they are, then it's sex based discrimination, which is illegal.

Old 07-17-2019, 07:54 PM

12,960 posts, read 9,478,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
OK, so what's the problem? One female chose to sunbather without the "girls" being covered (though they are very sensitive to any, sun included, radiation). Another female, a prude, felt offended.

They both expressed their liberties. It's like open carrying in open carry state. Someone will always feel threatened, offended, or else.

We had to put boxers onto a mannequin in my office (sexless male torso) because someone considered it nudity.
But what if the mannequin preferred "tighty whities"? Should ask him first.

Remember when the US Attorney General (I believe that was the office) had the Greek statues at some Washington building covered up for news conferences?

Old 07-18-2019, 12:52 AM

11,120 posts, read 5,585,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
It's always the Americans who have problems with nude sunbathing. My kids have been hanging out on topless/nude beaches in Europe and the Caribbean since they were kids.

They are all in their thirties and have no scars.

The woman lied. Her kids weren't uncomfortable, SHE was uncomfortable.

Her kids were uncomfortable------having her for a mother.

Old 07-18-2019, 04:34 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,182,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fifty Seven View Post
Five. Five posts before the America bashing began. Nothing is stopping you from living in Europe.
America bashing? Nonsense, Silly Billy.

The poster pointed out the fact that the American culture still has a terrible problem dealing with even fleeting public nudity. Compared to many European countries, this is just a fact.

Relax, the sun is still shining.

Old 07-18-2019, 04:47 AM

3,602 posts, read 2,305,088 times
If we see women at my local beach topless, we assume they are tourists. As we are the skin cancer capital of the world we tend to dress our kids in neck to knee swim suits and find topless women sunbathing quite puzzling. I certainly wish to limit the places where I potentially will need to have inch long scars and patches of skin grafts from past sun exposure. Bad enough on my arm!

Old 07-18-2019, 05:43 AM

17,603 posts, read 17,635,928 times
There’s more to the world than another America and Western Europe. Care to try going nude or topless in Islamic countries? Personally I’ve no problem with topless women. I’ve been to nude beaches in Greece and nudist resorts in USA. If it’s legal in an area the have fun. If it isn’t legal the work together to make it legal. If in the above case what she was doing was legal then the one accosting her could have bordered on harassment.

Old 07-18-2019, 05:59 AM

50,723 posts, read 36,424,154 times
Apparently it’s not about East Coast to West Coast. I accepted that earlier but I didn’t look it up.Here is a map of the states where it’s legal to be topless. https://gotopless.org/topless-laws. https://gotopless.org/topless-laws
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events