Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2019, 12:36 PM

3,471 posts, read 7,268,700 times

Advertisements

When I've been to Costa Rica, the Guaro was the cheap drink that the locals could afford. You tried it to say you had, but it wasn't anything you stuck with.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2019, 12:59 PM

203 posts, read 154,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2x3x29x41 View Post
They weren't drinking beer. The 'original containers' weren't Budweiser or Coors. Those bottles are brands of liquor. No one mistakes liquor for beer. If you take a swig from a bottle of Bud and it's actually liquor, you know immediately. If someone is passing off homebrew beer as branded beer, you might get ripped off financially but you won't die. There's not enough methyl alcohol in beer - even in badly-crafted bootleg beer - to cause any issues. That's why Bob down the street with his craft beer obsession might serve you crappy-tasting swill, but it won't hurt you. It's only an issue of Bob tries his hand at moonshine. Then, worry.
Bootleg beer (NOT a homebrew) in the brand name beer bottle.
Bootleg liquor in the brand name liquor bottle.

Don't be naive. These things happen around the world, especially in 3rd world countries where they think they can fleece rich and naive americans of their money by serving garbage to up their profits.

Old 07-22-2019, 01:01 PM

14,994 posts, read 23,969,324 times
That sounds about right, I suspect they are replacing expensive name brand alcohol with bootleg home-made alcohol. I've read up on the distillation process since I am a home brewer and knowledgable about the fermentation process...to expand my craft one can say, one can actually buy a still on Amazon (for the creation of distilled water, so they say).

When you distill fruits and grains, methanol is produced during the start of the process before the temperatures get up. One wants ethanol. A good shiner will filter this out by monitoring the temperature and simply throwing that poison out. It's not much, maybe the first pint out of a 10 gallon batch. However, the extra greedy may see this as wasted product, or you get those that simply do not know what they are doing and/or not keeping the temperature up. At best, you get some really bad hangovers, at worst, as I suspect here, you will kill a person.

This doesn't apply to beer, if we conclude the dead were just drinking beer, even badly brewed beer, then we have to go with another theory.

Old 07-22-2019, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post

This doesn't apply to beer, if we conclude the dead were just drinking beer, even badly brewed beer, then we have to go with another theory.
Reports out of the Dominican Republic state people were drinking bottled WATER and BEER out of the hotel minibar before getting sick and dying.

The problem is not just liquor but THE WAY THEY DO BUSINESS. It appears that brand name bottles are used to pour crap in to be sold. Bottled water may be industrial waste water for all you know. Same with beer. It could be half beer half carbonated industrial waste water.

If you read up on the issue you'll see that people felt burning sensation in their mouth and esophagus upon consuming non liquor or low alcoholic beverages.

Old 07-22-2019, 01:37 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,082,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitty_nina1 View Post
Reports out of the Dominican Republic state people were drinking bottled WATER and BEER out of the hotel minibar before getting sick and dying..
The contaminated alcohol is in Costa Rica. There have been no official report of contaminated alcohol in the Dominican Republic.

Old 07-22-2019, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
The contaminated alcohol is in Costa Rica. There have been no official report of contaminated alcohol in the Dominican Republic.
i am not going to google this for you as you can do it yourself.
I believe close to 19 Americans have died in the Dominican Republic. All of them have died of a "heart attack" after either 1. consuming a bottled beverage from the minibar or 2. drinking a beverage from a bar.

Old 07-22-2019, 02:48 PM

I think this should be plenty of information.
https://www.thecut.com/2019/07/ameri...stigation.html
https://abcnews.go.com/US/11th-ameri...ry?id=64414819
https://www.cnn.com/2019/06/19/us/do...ead/index.html
https://www.forbes.com/sites/lisette.../#74ded632c7db

From the last link:
"Dominican authorities, with some FBI assistance, are investigating some of the deaths. There’s been some speculation that poisoned or counterfeited liquor in hotel minibars and pesticide exposure may be the causes behind the deaths, but no conclusions have been reached."

The fact that Costa Rica has been more forthcoming in their disclosure and investigation doesn't negate the fact that 11 Americans have died in the Dominican Republic under very suspicious circumstances all pointing to poisoning.

It is the way business is done at those resorts.

Old 07-22-2019, 03:13 PM

6,639 posts, read 4,602,196 times
Quote:
Reports out of the Dominican Republic state people were drinking bottled WATER and BEER out of the hotel minibar before getting sick and dying.

The problem is not just liquor but THE WAY THEY DO BUSINESS. It appears that brand name bottles are used to pour crap in to be sold. Bottled water may be industrial waste water for all you know. Same with beer. It could be half beer half carbonated industrial waste water.

If you read up on the issue you'll see that people felt burning sensation in their mouth and esophagus upon consuming non liquor or low alcoholic beverages.
one of the survivors on cnn reported her mouth was burning after opening a can of 7-up.

Old 07-22-2019, 03:42 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,082,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post

Quote:
I think this should be plenty of information.
https://www.thecut.com/2019/07/ameri...stigation.html
https://abcnews.go.com/US/11th-ameri...ry?id=64414819
https://www.cnn.com/2019/06/19/us/do...ead/index.html
https://www.forbes.com/sites/lisette.../#74ded632c7db

From the last link:
"Dominican authorities, with some FBI assistance, are investigating some of the deaths. There’s been some speculation that poisoned or counterfeited liquor in hotel minibars and pesticide exposure may be the causes behind the deaths, but no conclusions have been reached."

The fact that Costa Rica has been more forthcoming in their disclosure and investigation doesn't negate the fact that 11 Americans have died in the Dominican Republic under very suspicious circumstances all pointing to poisoning.

It is the way business is done at those resorts.
Yes, speculation. As I said, there has been no official report that the deaths were from contaminated alcohol. Its only speculation. There has been no uptick in American deaths in the DR. The reported deaths were over a one year period, and at least some families have said that the individual had known heart problems that were the cause of death.

Old 07-22-2019, 03:43 PM

4,985 posts, read 3,992,541 times
since my wife travels for business (Costa Rica, China, etc.), i take her advice:
only sealed bottles, and wait after the first little sip to determine if more is safe.
even then, she got sick in China from bottled water. (yes, it was the water)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events