Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2019, 03:54 PM

2,567 posts, read 2,233,994 times

Advertisements

I think they should license this name:

E.S. Distillery | Fremont, Ohio
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2019, 06:10 AM

4,249 posts, read 3,750,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazee Cat Lady View Post
Good way to effectively kill your tourist industry and economy.
There are some places that I would just not care to go to at all anymore.
It doesn't appear aimed at the tourist industry, unlike the reports from resorts in DR and in Mexico. Especially in Mexico, what was so concerning was that it did appear that the unopened liquor bottles used at the bar were tainted, so it wasn't someone trying to slip a drug into someone's drink that they saw at the resort - the adulteration was somewhere before it got to the resort.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinB View Post
When I've been to Costa Rica, the Guaro was the cheap drink that the locals could afford. You tried it to say you had, but it wasn't anything you stuck with.
Exactly. This was a nationwide contamination specifically of guaro. It's not typically a drink that lots of tourists drink, but the "national" drink, similar to cachaca in Brazil or Pisco in Chile.

Ultimately, it could be true that international adulteration of liquor across various countries has some common source. But so far we don't have evidence to prove that. It's definitely a concern that these counterfeit bottles are so well done that it is difficult for most people to tell the difference. If you can't trust a sealed bottle you buy off the shelf of an established store, then it would seem you can't trust anything.

As far as traveling to C.A. or S.A. broadly right now, I haven't seen any evidence that this contamination has been found in anything other than liquor. Seems like you could just not drink liquor. I'm going to Guatemala next week and Costa Rica next February, and I'm not overly concerned at this point.

Old 07-23-2019, 06:46 AM

4,430 posts, read 2,736,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2x3x29x41 View Post
They weren't drinking beer. The 'original containers' weren't Budweiser or Coors. Those bottles are brands of liquor. No one mistakes liquor for beer. If you take a swig from a bottle of Bud and it's actually liquor, you know immediately. If someone is passing off homebrew beer as branded beer, you might get ripped off financially but you won't die. There's not enough methyl alcohol in beer - even in badly-crafted bootleg beer - to cause any issues. That's why Bob down the street with his craft beer obsession might serve you crappy-tasting swill, but it won't hurt you. It's only an issue of Bob tries his hand at moonshine. Then, worry.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitty_nina1 View Post
Bootleg beer (NOT a homebrew) in the brand name beer bottle.
Bootleg liquor in the brand name liquor bottle.

Don't be naive. These things happen around the world, especially in 3rd world countries where they think they can fleece rich and naive americans of their money by serving garbage to up their profits.
Your reading comprehension skills are lacking.

I did not deny these things happen - how you got that is beyond me.

Let me repeat:
Methyl alcohol poisoning is not a potential problem in beer because the fermentation process cannot result in toxic levels of methyl alcohol. It is a potential problem in liquor because the distillation process can result in toxic levels of methyl alcohol.

Anyone who avoids beer in order to avoid methyl alcohol poisoning is clueless.

Was that simple enough for you to follow along, or are you still confused?

Old 07-30-2019, 06:29 AM

457 posts, read 433,775 times
i live in costa rica and have followed this story. the people affected are lower income and buy cheap adulterated liquor.
not one tourist has died.

best for people to do some homework before comparing this to the dominican republic

Old 07-30-2019, 09:10 AM

453 posts, read 319,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodolfocostarica View Post
i live in costa rica and have followed this story. the people affected are lower income and buy cheap adulterated liquor.
not one tourist has died.

best for people to do some homework before comparing this to the dominican republic
like the life of tourist has more value than the locals .. you are a true morron
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events