Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2019, 09:14 AM

23,176 posts, read 12,310,674 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
The only reason I'm looking through this case, and this family, is I really believe that except in the very rarest of situations, an American family who is truly a "tourist", visiting restaurants and staying in resorts and sunbathing at the pools, are typically very safe in Mexico.

Even the cartels have no interest in shutting off that very lucrative source of income.

That, and the family is making no effort to get the boy back, it appears.

So. Who were they, and what exactly were they doing in the wee hours that caught the eye of the cartel?

Agreed. I think Mexico is generally safe for most people not up to no good. Standard and nearly universal advice is to not drive at night in Mexico, although I have many times within cities or on major highways especially cuotas. There is more to this story than we know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2019, 09:25 AM
Status: "This too shall pass. But possibly, like a kidney stone." (set 21 hours ago)

35,875 posts, read 18,189,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
Agreed. I think Mexico is generally safe for most people not up to no good. Standard and nearly universal advice is to not drive at night in Mexico, although I have many times within cities or on major highways especially cuotas. There is more to this story than we know.
It appears the state department also knows the "more to the story" and they're opting not to comment.

Nothing to see here, folks.

Apparently.

Old 07-25-2019, 09:25 AM

23,176 posts, read 12,310,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coschristi View Post
Probably the scariest thing was the highways. They are NOT like highways in the US!

They often are now. Many of the old 2-lane highways have been replaced by 4-lane median-divided highways between major cities, often limited access interstate-like.

A random sampling:

Mx85 Nvo Laredo to Monterrey

Mx57 Saltillo to Matehuala

Mx54 Saltillo to Zacatecas

Mx45 Queretaro to Irapuato

Old 07-25-2019, 10:40 AM

8,340 posts, read 6,824,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antinimby View Post
An American couple visiting Mexico was captured by gangs and shot to death execution style in front of their son: https://nypost.com/2019/07/23/utah-c...-front-of-son/
Years ago (I'm talking 40) There was a short warning given to US citizens... "Enter at your own risk" The dearth of "Heepies" has the mexican police looking for targets and now US Citizens are the targets. This is even now worse due to the gangs.

Old 07-25-2019, 10:49 AM

Location: Unlike most on CD, I'm not afraid to give my location: Milwaukee, WI.
1,795 posts, read 4,170,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coschristi View Post
Probably the scariest thing was the highways. They are NOT like highways in the US! You’d see a bunch of shrines on all the blind curves & they drive these big, old pickups; overloaded with people, cows, you name it ... & they love to play ‘chicken’ with other cars on the roads; driving head on towards you & swerving away in the nick of time, usually with a big grin on their face.

Yep, these are just the type of people we need coming into America by the millions.

Old 07-25-2019, 11:03 AM

15,939 posts, read 6,643,430 times
The current Department of State travel advisory for Mexico is at level 2: exercise increased caution

https://travel.state.gov/content/tra...-advisory.html

By way of comparison, El Salvador, Nicaragua, and Turkey are at level 3, while Greece, where Suzanne Eaton was murdered, is at level 1. Venezuela is at level 4: you'd have to drag me there.

Old 07-25-2019, 02:49 PM

1,415 posts, read 1,199,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Warning! Disturbing Crime Scene Pictures:
Only if blurred out nothingness is disturbing.

Old 07-25-2019, 03:05 PM

32,040 posts, read 27,268,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatopescado View Post
Only if blurred out nothingness is disturbing.
Yeabut you've got to CYA; otherwise snowflakes complain to mods your post is deleted, and or action is taken against your account.

Old 07-25-2019, 03:54 PM

32,040 posts, read 27,268,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delahanty View Post
If the NYP story was "oddly written," it was no more so than multiple news sources. In addition, the NYP article didn't state that he wasn't treated for the gunshot wound.

And BTW, multiple publications and sites used the term nervous breakdown. Why? Because that's what was reported by local (Mexican) outlets. Every account I've read or heard on this, references "reports." So did the NYP article, where they also provided a link.

Since I'm fluent in Spanish, I'll translate the pertinent paragraph:

"The minor was also treated by the Red Cross in Petatlán for his injuries and because he had a nervous breakdown [emphasis mine]."

The term they used was "crisis nerviosa"--nervous breakdown. That's not even a medical term. It never was, even though it's certainly outmoded and has fallen into the garbage heap of long-gone terms.

I suspect, then, that most publications, sites, and TV news broadcasts simply went for the direct translation. I did notice one which used the term "emotional trauma"--certainly more appropriate, and medically descriptive of his mental state.

So now you know the rest of the story!

Nearly all if not most news media (especially print, even with online editions) has experienced consolidation, cuts in staffing, and used technology to "outsource" or whatever reporter coverage. As such stories are not always written by a local in house reporter, but could be anyone from a freelancer to someone from another division of parent company somewhere else.

Just read an article on Deutsche Bank in New York Post where reporter used the word "redundant" to describe laid off/terminated employees. No one in USA uses that word; "redundant" is however commonly used in GB and other parts of Europe to describe fired, laid off, terminated employees.

Editor of a US newspaper or media source would likely tell a "British" reporter on their staff to change such a word because it is unfamiliar to Americans.

Old 07-26-2019, 03:07 AM

23,323 posts, read 29,196,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarahsez View Post
OMG! That poor child.

IMO, this couple made some very poor choices. I'm not sure why they weren't in bed that time of night. They didn't deserve to die. Mexico is simply not safe. I don't trust resorts in tourist locations. I wouldn't drive there either. The laws are very different. Too many people have ended up dead or in prison for things we would consider simple mistakes.
Mexico is not safe? Ask the survivor's of the massacre at the Harvest Festival in Las Vegas, less than 2 years ago, where 600 innocent people were shot at by a 63YO senior citizen, how safe they now feel in Las Vegas. Yes, 58 innocent people died in that massacre. Ever hear of 600 tourists being shot, as a group, in Mexico?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events