Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2019, 04:11 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,275,432 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
What's sickening to me, Sunbather, is how very ridiculous this story is.

This case went ALL THE WAY TO JURY TRIAL and conviction, with such tepid statements as "well, I was dating a Chad at the time I was raped and we were sexual", and apparently he was saying also that he remembered dating her.

But both sort of mumbled it, and didn't ask follow-up questions of their attorneys.

You have to do a lot of court hearings before you get all the way to a jury trial. A lot.

You don't go from being charged, to in front of a jury. Prosecutors want to settle.

In all that time, this never came to light? Meanwhile the state has been charged with the enormous cost of a jury trial, of housing him for two years in prison, and no one is listening to his "I think she was my girlfriend". She never said well, can I please see a picture of what this Chad guy looked like when he was 16 and I was having sex with him?"

And for those who say she's being shamed, IMHO, I'm as shocked neither had sufficient long term memory faculties to remember each other, as much as how ever many partners each had.

I went out with a lot of guys in college, and if presented with the name AND the current photo of the guy, yes, I could say with definition whether that was the guy I went out with. Much less had sex with.
  • The suspect recognized the victim during the trial. His attorney had him write a statement to that effect and sign it. The judge wouldn't allow it to be introduced.
  • I'm not sure about "you don't go from charged to in front of a jury". He said he wasn't guilty are you suggesting that he should have pleaded guilty in order to get a shorter prison term?
  • I can't recognize many of the people I dated in high school.
  • She knew him by Chad, in court he was referred to as James Clay (his middle name is Chad-Lewis)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2019, 04:30 PM

16,073 posts, read 21,148,356 times
Quote:
I went out with a lot of guys in college, and if presented with the name AND the current photo of the guy, yes, I could say with definition whether that was the guy I went out with. Much less had sex with.
That's nice. He went by a different name as pointed out. And memory has nothing to do with it. Twenty years is a long time when the last time you saw someone they were a young teen, people can change drastically. I recently saw my brother for the first time after ten years, I didn't recognize him at all.

Old 07-24-2019, 04:33 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 7 days ago)

35,630 posts, read 17,968,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
  • The suspect recognized the victim during the trial. His attorney had him write a statement to that effect and sign it. The judge wouldn't allow it to be introduced.
  • I'm not sure about "you don't go from charged to in front of a jury". He said he wasn't guilty are you suggesting that he should have pleaded guilty in order to get a shorter prison term?
  • I can't recognize many of the people I dated in high school.
  • She knew him by Chad, in court he was referred to as James Clay (his middle name is Chad-Lewis)
No, I don't think he should have pled guilty. Not sure where that came from.

And yes, there are many steps between getting charged, and appearing before a jury. Pretrial hearings and settings.

And if the judge stated they couldn't introduce his evidence at trial, it should have been IMMEDIATELY filed as an appeal, with that statement given to the victim by the prosecutor or victim's counsel, especially since she herself had already stated she might remember him.

The balls being dropped are defining.

Old 07-24-2019, 04:48 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,022,110 times
Quote:
Cool.

This girl was 15, not in college. People can change a lot between the ages of 15 and 38. And the fact that he was going by a different name, it's easy to see how she didn't recognize him.

Old 07-24-2019, 05:18 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 7 days ago)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
Cool.

This girl was 15, not in college. People can change a lot between the ages of 15 and 38. And the fact that he was going by a different name, it's easy to see how she didn't recognize him.
How do you not know the name of the man who's being sent to prison for 20+ years? It's right there, in the charging documents. State vs. __________. The name "Chad" is in there. Did she not ever know his last name?

And she did, in fact, know his name and apparently made the appeal during the trial but it went nowhere.

Both of them said it, and it went nowhere. Finally, the man's mother got up some gumption and spoke louder than a mumble, and the thing was fixed.

Rape is horrific, and memorable, and she would be able to remember that time in her life. SURELY, somewhere in her mind, and at the time of her rape exam, she was aware that there would be evidence of consensual sex. SURELY, the person doing the rape exam asked her if she had consensual relations in the past 10 days, that would skew the lab results. And identify who that might be. And surely, she must have been thinking, I wonder when the lab results come back, will it be wrong because of Chad?

Finally, here's a question. How did they get the DNA that matched from Chad? How did they find him? Answer: he's been convicted of another felony?

Old 07-24-2019, 07:34 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,058,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambers72 View Post
Kinda sickening isnt it? (To have sex with so many and not remember someone)
yeah

Old 07-25-2019, 09:35 AM

8,826 posts, read 15,320,564 times
I was struck by the fact that he is 38 and has a grandchild.

Old 07-25-2019, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgbwc View Post
He missed the birth because he was in prison; so it's likely he was younger than 38 when the event happened.

Something to celebrate, for sure.

Old 07-25-2019, 10:10 AM

1,860 posts, read 1,247,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgbwc View Post
if a 19 year old had a kid and that kid had a kid at 19 then...grandchild at 38. not that crazy.

Old 07-25-2019, 10:16 AM

3,850 posts, read 4,153,368 times
Quote:
Finally, here's a question. How did they get the DNA that matched from Chad? How did they find him? Answer: he's been convicted of another felony?
From the linked article:

Quote:
He had a felony conviction involving a stolen car, which meant that his DNA was in a national database, and a previous misdemeanor for domestic violence, the Free Press reported.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events