Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2019, 10:49 AM

42,854 posts, read 26,316,632 times

Advertisements

A man was convicted of rape due to DNA found while testing a rape kit that had been lost for 20 years. During the trial he realized the victim was actually his girlfriend from 1997 and that he had had consensual sex with. The jury was never told that and sentenced him to 25-50 years. After he was sent to prison a private investigator showed the victim a photo of him from when he was 16 and she realized that he was not the rapist. He's been released while the DA and Court decide what to do next.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/natio...=.fe1191cd09ef
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2019, 12:01 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 12 days ago)

35,641 posts, read 18,001,275 times
Here's another link about the story, for those (like me) who have run out of free access to Washington Post articles.

https://www.wxyz.com/news/region/det...into-cold-case

At the heart of this case is the fact that each of them had sex with so many people neither remembered the other.

Old 07-24-2019, 03:00 PM

11,443 posts, read 626,754 times
Kinda sickening isnt it? (To have sex with so many and not remember someone)

Old 07-24-2019, 03:13 PM

16,080 posts, read 21,172,683 times
Where are you all getting that there were numerous sexual partners?
I can only read the second link and all I see is that there were two people who didn't recognize each other twenty years after a brief teenage romance. Combined with the fact that she didn't recognize his 'grown up' name since she knew him by his nickname I don't find it all that surprising she didn't realize who he was.

Old 07-24-2019, 03:18 PM

21,868 posts, read 25,181,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambers72 View Post
Not really. 1997 was 20 years ago. I'm not sure I remember all the people I had sex with in college. It's not that long a list, but someone I hooked up with at a party or briefly dated 20 years ago I don't know that I would remember.

Old 07-24-2019, 03:21 PM

3,026 posts, read 2,244,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
Where are you all getting that there were numerous sexual partners?
I can only read the second link and all I see is that there were two people who didn't recognize each other twenty years after a brief teenage romance. Combined with the fact that she didn't recognize his 'grown up' name since she knew him by his nickname I don't find it all that surprising she didn't realize who he was.
So much this. She was 15, had a boyfriend, and was raped in an alley. The police did a terrible job, first by neglecting the rape kit and the case for 20 years and then by not even handling the evidence they were handed in signed documents from the people involved.

But if you want to ****-shame a 15yo rape victim? You're right: That is sickening.

Old 07-24-2019, 03:28 PM

42,854 posts, read 26,316,632 times
Quote:
I don't think that's what happened here. Neither of them recognized the other 20 years after they were intimate, I don't think that's unusual or infers that they didn't recognize each other because they had sex with "so many". I didn't recognize half the people at my high school reunions even though I'd been real close to some of them and when I saw their name tags I still didn't recognize some of them

Old 07-24-2019, 03:43 PM

4,233 posts, read 6,916,187 times
Quote:
this post is more sickening than what you are implying (which is not even part of the story or relevant to begin with)

Old 07-24-2019, 04:01 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 12 days ago)

35,641 posts, read 18,001,275 times
What's sickening to me, Sunbather, is how very ridiculous this story is.

This case went ALL THE WAY TO JURY TRIAL and conviction, with such tepid statements as "well, I was dating a Chad at the time I was raped and we were sexual", and apparently he was saying also that he remembered dating her.

But both sort of mumbled it, and didn't ask follow-up questions of their attorneys.

You have to do a lot of court hearings before you get all the way to a jury trial. A lot.

You don't go from being charged, to in front of a jury. Prosecutors want to settle.

In all that time, this never came to light? Meanwhile the state has been charged with the enormous cost of a jury trial, of housing him for two years in prison, and no one is listening to his "I think she was my girlfriend". She never said well, can I please see a picture of what this Chad guy looked like when he was 16, and got raped during the time I was having consensual sex with a Chad (not at all a common name, BTW)".

And for those who say she's being shamed, IMHO, I'm as shocked neither had sufficient long term memory faculties to remember each other, as much as how ever many partners each had.

I went out with a lot of guys in college, and if presented with the name AND the current photo of the guy, yes, I could say with definition whether that was the guy I went out with. Much less had sex with.

Old 07-24-2019, 04:05 PM

30,189 posts, read 11,827,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
Not really. 1997 was 20 years ago. I'm not sure I remember all the people I had sex with in college. It's not that long a list, but someone I hooked up with at a party or briefly dated 20 years ago I don't know that I would remember.

I would have to go back to the 1980's for my list and for me there are just some things you remember at least in my case. But again whoever I hooked up with may not have as good a memory. But the story does say there were dating and not just a one time hookup.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events