Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-29-2019, 01:22 AM

4,856 posts, read 5,823,013 times

Advertisements

I just kinda wanna trek up there to that bus, drag it back to Louisville Ky, get a salvage title and toss a cummins 6bt in it, and a Dana 70. Such a waste of a bus just sitting there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2019, 06:21 AM

15,438 posts, read 7,491,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haksel257 View Post
Some people take huge risks to do things that give them satisfaction.

Other strangers call them stupid from the sidelines of an online forum.

Hey, I had carpaccio (raw beef) the other day. It was delicious. “Could’ve died”, though!
It's OK to take risks, but you still need to be prepared, and understand what you are getting into. Carpaccio isn't dangerous. Fugu would be dangerous.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delahanty View Post
You must be thinking of Treadwell and his girlfriend. No matter how foolish they were, you have to feel for them, too.
No, I don't. They were stupid, and in no way sympathetic. Like too many others, they humanized animals, and forgot that bears are gonna be bears.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
What does "really travel in style" mean? Maybe spend all that money they made on a cruise? Because their health is no longer good enough to do anything else?

I have known people who got sick, and died a year before they were to retire. I know people right now who are 75 or 80 years old, and still working, because they can't afford to retire. And I doubt they would know how to do anything else anyway. Work is all they have ever done.

Which is more tragic? A young person who gets out of school, travels around the world, and dies at age 25 doing something they love, or someone who works their entire life to pay off a student loan, car loan, home loan, only to die a year before their retirement? I say the person who died a year before their retirement. At least the young person got to experience the world, before they died. Not just spending their entire life working.
I've traveled all over the world, to every continent except Antarctica, and an employer has paid for it. I've loved my jobs, the opportunity to live overseas, the travel to other places, and the satisfaction of being rewarded for doing a good job. Not everyone lives the life you described.

Old 07-29-2019, 06:28 AM

3,677 posts, read 2,561,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
I think it's been conclusively proven he didn't intend to die. The plant that he ate was, in fact, one of the plants listed as "edible", or was within that species and looked exactly like the edible one in his survival book.

His parents pretended not to know why he was so rejecting of his mother, but it's come out how really awful his family was to him.

People who met him along the way found him memorable, and charming. I personally would have loved to have met him.

Your post seems unnecessarily harsh.
No actually it's not harsh enough.

People continue to "romantize" this entire situation and it's ridiculous. Along with that movie "wild". First of all most folks are ill prepared to hike across the street more or less actually hike in the wild. Oprah made the book version into one of her most favorite things, next thing you know a bunch of pampered idiots attempt to hike the Pacific crest trail. so much so that the forest authority had to post a plea for people to knock it off.

Just because someone is charming, which I'm sure he was does not make them less stupid.

Old 07-29-2019, 06:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by That_One_Girl View Post
Agreed. Why are people so angry at this dude? So, he messed up and got himself killed. So do plenty of other people.
The problem is the way we make these morons into "folk hero's". There is nothing IMO especially heroic about his life, or inspiring.

I would have absolutely no problem if he was just a story but unfortunately there are folks who say "ooh let's trace so and so's journey". People for some reason want to emulate it and then find out the hard way just how ill equipped they are. which usually means someone has to go and rescue their sorry backside.

My late husband was a volunteer rescuer who constantly shook his head at the stupidity of people who believe they can just roll out of bed and some how thru hike the continental divide.

Personally I think what they should start doing is let a few of these folks just die. let it be known that if you decide to venture out and try these stunts than no one is going to come help you when you call.

Article says every year a bunch of folks have to be rescued. know what, start advertising, nope not going to come get you. have a nice trip. let me know where you want your remains sent.

Old 07-29-2019, 07:03 AM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 8 days ago)

35,631 posts, read 17,968,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eliza61nyc View Post
No actually it's not harsh enough.

People continue to "romantize" this entire situation and it's ridiculous. Along with that movie "wild". First of all most folks are ill prepared to hike across the street more or less actually hike in the wild. Oprah made the book version into one of her most favorite things, next thing you know a bunch of pampered idiots attempt to hike the Pacific crest trail. so much so that the forest authority had to post a plea for people to knock it off.

Just because someone is charming, which I'm sure he was does not make them less stupid.
I think there are two kinds of people. People with a wanderlust, and people without.

I'm descended from people who gave up everything, got on a ship that was somewhat ill-equipped to handle the journey, came to an unknown territory with inhospitable winters, for the promise of freedom.

That's in my DNA. Although I haven't been so adventuresome myself, something primordial awakens in me when I read about Strayed and McCandless.

And I do get that not everyone feels that thrill.

Old 07-29-2019, 07:11 AM

Quote:
I think there are two kinds of people. People with a wanderlust, and people without.

I'm descended from people who gave up everything, got on a ship that was somewhat ill-equipped to handle the journey, came to an unknown territory with inhospitable winters, for the promise of freedom.

That's in my DNA. Although I haven't been so adventuresome myself, something primordial awakens in me when I read about Strayed and McCandless.

And I absolutely get that, I really do but unlike our ancestors, much of this isn't unknown. I admire anyone who says I want to hike XYZ trail and then PREPARES for the undertaking. trains for it.

The problem becomes when ill informed and inexperienced newlyweds wake up and attempt it. and you see the results. a twentysomething is dead before even experiencing life. absolutely needlessly.

And the sad thing about it is next year, we'll wash, rinse and repeat.

Old 07-29-2019, 07:14 AM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 8 days ago)

Quote:
The problem is the way we make these morons into "folk hero's". There is nothing IMO especially heroic about his life, or inspiring.

I would have absolutely no problem if he was just a story but unfortunately there are folks who say "ooh let's trace so and so's journey". People for some reason want to emulate it and then find out the hard way just how ill equipped they are. which usually means someone has to go and rescue their sorry backside.

My late husband was a volunteer rescuer who constantly shook his head at the stupidity of people who believe they can just roll out of bed and some how thru hike the continental divide.

Personally I think what they should start doing is let a few of these folks just die. let it be known that if you decide to venture out and try these stunts than no one is going to come help you when you call.

Article says every year a bunch of folks have to be rescued. know what, start advertising, nope not going to come get you. have a nice trip. let me know where you want your remains sent.
It's interesting that he did this, voluntarily, and seemed to have such disdain for those he was rescuing.

Old 07-29-2019, 07:21 AM

Quote:
And I absolutely get that, I really do but unlike our ancestors, much of this isn't unknown. I admire anyone who says I want to hike XYZ trail and then PREPARES for the undertaking. trains for it.

The problem becomes when ill informed and inexperienced newlyweds wake up and attempt it. and you see the results. a twentysomething is dead before even experiencing life. absolutely needlessly.

And the sad thing about it is next year, we'll wash, rinse and repeat.
I don't have much empathy for a couple who has a burning desire to go sit where someone died a horrible death.

I DO have great empathy, and admiration, for those who bravely set out to challenge themselves. Strayed lived to tell the tale, and McCandless didn't.

And par for the course, there's something absolutely and fundamentally expansive and decent about Strayed - for those interested, read Dear Sugar.

Old 07-29-2019, 07:28 AM

9,375 posts, read 6,977,761 times
Better way to go then getting eaten by bears.

Old 07-29-2019, 07:31 AM

8,085 posts, read 5,249,640 times
Quote:

This.

Quote:

I'm descended from people who gave up everything, got on a shipthat was somewhat ill-equipped to handle the journey, came to an unknown territory with inhospitable winters, for the promise of freedom.

Eye color, skin color etc is in your DNA...not trips and decisions someone else made 100+years ago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events