Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2019, 07:23 PM

9,977 posts, read 5,675,804 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
Personally, I found him to be delightful, what was written about him, and am sad that he was alone realizing he would die, and wrote a farewell note.

Why the hate? Did you know him?
You know, it doesn't take a sophisticated mind to understand it's possible to not hate someone and at the same time wonder why people are so infatuated with him or his tremendous act of stupidity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
It doesn't sound like it was stupidity to me. Maybe you're confusing him with the kid who went out into the Alaskan bush to live with the nice grizzly bears?
For starters, you don't just wander out into the Alaskan wilderness with no survival skills and no realistic plan for survival. For another, he could have walked to safety if he'd had a map or any familiarity with the landscape before wandering into it. Call it stupidity, call it arrogance, call it ignorance, but in any case I don't find anything to admire about it.

Last edited by Bitey; 07-27-2019 at 07:37 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2019, 07:31 PM

17,717 posts, read 13,529,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bitey View Post
You don't say.

Nature doesn't coddle fools gently. Or at all.

And became an object lesson to others who want to live: you need a plan for that.
He pancaked that was his mistake, did you read the book? He raided several hunting huts that had food and gophers wasn’t as far out as he thought.

Old 07-27-2019, 08:18 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 5 days ago)

35,620 posts, read 17,948,343 times
Quote:
You know, it doesn't take a sophisticated mind to understand it's possible to not hate someone and at the same time wonder why people are so infatuated with him or his tremendous act of stupidity.

For starters, you don't just wander out into the Alaskan wilderness with no survival skills and no realistic plan for survival. For another, he could have walked to safety if he'd had a map or any familiarity with the landscape before wandering into it. Call it stupidity, call it arrogance, call it ignorance, but in any case I don't find anything to admire about it.
I don't want to get an infraction for bickering, but honestly, when I read this book, it made me want to venture out, courageously. As it did for all 3 of my sons, upon reading this book. This young man, to us all, although he died accidentally, made us want to loose our bounds and travel in the wilderness.

Feels like a breath of fresh air. Like wings.

Old 07-27-2019, 08:25 PM

1,885 posts, read 1,001,883 times
Some people take huge risks to do things that give them satisfaction.

Other strangers call them stupid from the sidelines of an online forum.

Hey, I had carpaccio (raw beef) the other day. It was delicious. “Could’ve died”, though!

Old 07-27-2019, 08:28 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,103,006 times
If you think these sentiments are harsh, share your loving thoughts on the Alaska boards where they've been trying for years to get the bus destroyed or removed.

Alaskans think Chris McCandless was an idiot who in his death, continues to endanger the lives of others. He was illl prepared for his journey and most who try and follow in his footsteps are also ill prepared.

Not only that, he endagers the lives of civil servants who have to go rescue these fools.

Old 07-27-2019, 08:33 PM

9,977 posts, read 5,675,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haksel257 View Post
Some people take huge risks to do things that give them satisfaction.

Other strangers call them stupid from the sidelines of an online forum.

Hey, I had carpaccio (raw beef) the other day. It was delicious. “Could’ve died”, though!
You're not very good at relative risk analysis, are you?

How many more people have to die and how many dozens more have to be rescued making a "courageous" journey to this bus before people realize there's nothing courageous about being willfully ignorant to clear and obvious risks?

Old 07-27-2019, 09:00 PM

36,754 posts, read 14,821,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
It doesn't sound like it was stupidity to me. Maybe you're confusing him with the kid who went out into the Alaskan bush to live with the nice grizzly bears?

You must be thinking of Treadwell and his girlfriend. No matter how foolish they were, you have to feel for them, too.

Old 07-27-2019, 09:04 PM

10,225 posts, read 7,580,886 times
I didn't read the book or see the movie, but reading about what he did, he seems like he was one of those people who are "born under a wandering star," as they say. They know it's a risky way to live, and that's part of the thrill. This fellow was pretty young, so although he knew he hadn't prepared, he probably didn't understand just how risky this last part of his journey would be. He had gotten through a lot of dangerous situations before this, so he may have been living under a false sense of security that winging it would be good enough.

So sad. It was unusually naive, even for someone as young as he was, not to have a better knowledge of the seasons of the area he ended up in. So, pretty sad. He was a smart, educated guy who had a lot to offer.

Old 07-27-2019, 09:17 PM

1,885 posts, read 1,001,883 times
Quote:
You're not very good at relative risk analysis, are you?

How many more people have to die and how many dozens more have to be rescued making a "courageous" journey to this bus before people realize there's nothing courageous about being willfully ignorant to clear and obvious risks?
First of all, I’m not calling this courageous.

Second of all, I believe you should be able to sign a “rescue waiver”, so no time and money are spent on you, should you go missing on a willful act. Having children morally complicates the matter, I’ll agree to that. I don’t think risking yourself unreasonable when you have a child is right.

Third of all, relative risk is just that, relative. The benefit is subjectively rated by the one doing the thing, no? Might not give you pleasure, might give someone else the greatest pleasure.

Old 07-27-2019, 09:57 PM

4,627 posts, read 3,393,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reed067 View Post
He didn’t go out there to die he went out there to live.
I agree with you; however, through naivete and ignorance he tragically died. With more preparation he would have lived.

I can respect the independent spirit he displayed but too many people only see that part and don't see the HUGE mistake he made with his lack of preparedness. This young lady who died crossing the river clearly didn't come prepared either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events