Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2019, 10:10 PM

28,122 posts, read 12,589,417 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
So how did that bus get there in the first place? I would think that the smartest course of action would be to follow whatever road it used to get there. (Well no, actually the smartest course of action would be to just look at a photograph of the bus and not try and visit it in person. But you get the idea.)
There are no roads up there, this bus is a wreck, (probably 50-60 yrs old), its basically a rotting shell that was once a bus, that was turned into a mini cabin of sorts by hunters.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2019, 10:14 PM

28,122 posts, read 12,589,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by That_One_Girl View Post
He's a big hero of mine. He didn't commit suicide, he just made a mistake. He died living the life he loved, and that's inspiring.
I saw the movie and admired him actually, but at the same time, I could never take those kinds of risks.

He was truly a roaming soul, he did not want to become some normal *******, working day after day until retirement and then die in a nursing home! He wanted to enjoy the beauty of the natural world and he seemed to fall in love with Alaska, even before visiting!

He was young and probably didnt fully understand how difficult it was to survive, given the way he wanted to live, I feel sorry for him for that, but somehow, I doubt he would do anything different if it had it over again.

Old 07-27-2019, 11:00 PM

15,419 posts, read 9,069,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
So how did that bus get there in the first place? I would think that the smartest course of action would be to follow whatever road it used to get there. (Well no, actually the smartest course of action would be to just look at a photograph of the bus and not try and visit it in person. But you get the idea.)
The road used to get it there, is now the trail they were hiking on.

Quote:
Fairbanks City Transit System Bus 142 is an abandoned 1946 International Harvester K-5 that is parked in a clearing along the Stampede Trail near Denali National Park. It was originally one of a few buses used by the Yutan Construction Company to provide remote accommodations for the construction crew from Fairbanks that worked on road upgrades in 1960–1961. The bus engine was removed and it was instead towed by Caterpillar D8 bulldozers. It contained beds and a wood-burning stove, which still remain today. When the Stampede Mine ceased operations in the 1970s, all but this one bus were removed from the trail. Bus 142 had a broken rear axle, which caused the crew to leave it where it now serves as a backcountry shelter for hunters, trappers, and visitors.
Stampede Trail - Bus 142 - Wikipedia

Last edited by Cloudy Dayz; 07-27-2019 at 11:12 PM..

Old 07-28-2019, 05:49 AM

17,717 posts, read 13,531,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Astral_Weeks View Post
I agree with you; however, through naivete and ignorance he tragically died. With more preparation he would have lived.

I can respect the independent spirit he displayed but too many people only see that part and don't see the HUGE mistake he made with his lack of preparedness. This young lady who died crossing the river clearly didn't come prepared either.
True to,some extent if he would of packed more food or been able to hunt for more I believe he would of survived myself. In his haste he ate something that killed him . Having more food he could of waited until the river went down too.

Old 07-28-2019, 07:13 AM

6,793 posts, read 4,236,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
I saw the movie and admired him actually, but at the same time, I could never take those kinds of risks.

He was truly a roaming soul, he did not want to become some normal *******, working day after day until retirement and then die in a nursing home! He wanted to enjoy the beauty of the natural world and he seemed to fall in love with Alaska, even before visiting!
He had an over-idealized view of the natural world. Its what killed him and others like him. Nature is full of things that are out to kill you, and there’s a reason the Alaskan wilderness is so untouched - its particularly harsh and unforgiving. His death is in many ways an allegory for the whole 1st world nature lover mentality - that magical view doesnt put food in your mouth. Something easily forgotten when food has never been a problem in your life. The fact he grew up in Fairfax county doesnt surprise me at all. Its a very sheltered environment, ideal for producing kids with big dreams and little understanding of how harsh the world can be.

Old 07-28-2019, 07:57 AM

11,112 posts, read 9,753,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
I don't want to get an infraction for bickering, but honestly, when I read this book, it made me want to venture out, courageously. As it did for all 3 of my sons, upon reading this book. This young man, to us all, although he died accidentally, made us want to loose our bounds and travel in the wilderness.

Feels like a breath of fresh air. Like wings.
When I read the book I thought what a stupid and naive guy. He just blundered through his various "adventures" without seeking out local knowledge or bothering to learn what was actually necessary to survive and to properly equip oneself for that sort of environment. It's amazing he didn't die on his foray through Baja before he even got to Alaska.

Old 07-28-2019, 07:58 AM

11,112 posts, read 9,753,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
if you think these sentiments are harsh, share your loving thoughts on the alaska boards where they've been trying for years to get the bus destroyed or removed.

Alaskans think chris mccandless was an idiot who in his death, continues to endanger the lives of others. He was illl prepared for his journey and most who try and follow in his footsteps are also ill prepared.

Not only that, he endagers the lives of civil servants who have to go rescue these fools.
+1

Old 07-28-2019, 08:10 AM

6,450 posts, read 9,810,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShadow View Post
When I read the book I thought what a stupid and naive guy. He just blundered through his various "adventures" without seeking out local knowledge or bothering to learn what was actually necessary to survive and to properly equip oneself for that sort of environment. It's amazing he didn't die on his foray through Baja before he even got to Alaska.
It didn't make you feel like you had wings? lol

Old 07-28-2019, 08:32 AM

8,085 posts, read 5,247,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShadow View Post
+1!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTLightning View Post
It didn't make you feel like you had wings? lol
I spat out my coffee.

I see what you did there. Bwahahahahaha.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delahanty View Post
You must be thinking of Treadwell and his girlfriend. No matter how foolish they were, you have to feel for them, too.
I don't. That guy was absolutely bonkers and got her killed as well...that woman was left to be tortured after Treadwell became dinner.

If people haven't watched it, it's a great documentary even if you're not into "nature stuff".

"Grizzly Man" trailer

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=uWA7GtDmNFU

Old 07-28-2019, 08:33 AM

5,710 posts, read 4,284,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
I don't want to get an infraction for bickering, but honestly, when I read this book, it made me want to venture out, courageously. As it did for all 3 of my sons, upon reading this book. This young man, to us all, although he died accidentally, made us want to loose our bounds and travel in the wilderness.

Feels like a breath of fresh air. Like wings.

It must seem that way to people who are inexperienced in wilderness travel. In fact he was reckless and foolish and was lucky to live as long as he did. One of his previous misadventures should have killed him.

I understand the allure of his spirited attempt to live life on his own terms, but he was still reckless and foolish in how he did it. That's not romantic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events