Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2019, 12:38 PM

999 posts, read 553,520 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astral_Weeks View Post
Your fatalistic view ignores the fact he died unnecessarily at age 24. He could have had plenty of more adventures if he wasn't so ill-prepared.
So what? We die when we die. We could always have plenty more adventures had we lived longer. People die at that age range all the time. They die of cancer. They die in car accidents. Life is not guaranteed. It's interesting how people like you focus on the fact that he died and ignore how much beautiful LIFE he experienced in his years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2019, 12:45 PM

28,122 posts, read 12,589,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bitey View Post
How anyone could admire the sort of arrogance to think you can outsmart nature all by yourself without taking any more than a cursory stock of it is beyond me. The guy could have lived the kind of life (key word: LIVED) he wanted and that many others seem to admire so much without needlessly making himself a martyr to it. There are people in Alaska who do it all the time, but not without gaining the proper knowledge and skill set first.
If he had processed that moose correctly, he would have been fine. He got in way over his head, and it happened quickly once he got up there!

Old 07-28-2019, 12:46 PM

6,450 posts, read 9,810,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by That_One_Girl View Post
So what? We die when we die. We could always have plenty more adventures had we lived longer. People die at that age range all the time. They die of cancer. They die in car accidents. Life is not guaranteed. It's interesting how people like you focus on the fact that he died and ignore how much beautiful LIFE he experienced in his years.
I'm not sure how much beautiful life he was experiencing when he was dying alone on the bus.

If that's your idea of living life then who am I to argue lol

Old 07-28-2019, 12:47 PM

28,122 posts, read 12,589,417 times
Quote:
Same. He was one of the people to inspire my journey, which has taken me all over the world. For me, it's not so much about living off the land and surviving without money or anything extreme as he did. What inspired me is that he lived his life on his own terms.

It's okay. We die when we're meant to. I often go off into the wilderness alone and I could die too. I don't care. I'll die when I die. I could die tomorrow and feel fine about it. I've lived a full life.

I'm pretty sure he knew that. He was just ok with taking the risk. This is a person who burned all his money. He wasn't exactly looking to walk an easy road.

I believe people die when they're meant to and his death was part of his fate. Without his death, would any of us have even heard of him? I doubt it. There are lots of outdoorsy adventurers out there that I don't even know about, but because of his death, he became known and inspired so many.
Look at this way, we are talking about this guy, but how likely is it that someone 30 yrs from when I die, that I will have internet forum threads dedicated to myself, or a movie made about my life?

Old 07-28-2019, 12:57 PM

5,710 posts, read 4,284,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
Personally I admire people like that. It's better to die doing something you love then waste your life doing something you hate. I have found that there are two types of people.

Type 1. Those people go to school, get a good education, or learn a trade. They work 40, 50, 60 hour work weeks their whole life, at a job they hate. If they ever take a vacation, they just stay home and try to rest up before they go back to work. Eventually they retire either in old age or by disability, and spend their days complaining that they never had the chance to do all the things they wanted to do, and visit the places they wanted to visit, and now they are too old to do it. .

Type 2. Those people just don't care about working. They graduate, or they drop out of school, it doesn't matter. They get whatever quick job they can, earn just enough money, then quit and hit the road. When they run out of money, they go back to work, until they earn enough money to travel again.

The people who complain most about type 2 people, are mostly type 1 people who are bitter that they wasted their prime years away, and have very little to show for it. They see type 2 people doing and experiencing all the things they wished they could have done, when they were young.

Not saying I agree with your oversimplification, but being reckless and foolish has nothing to do with being your Type 2. Plenty of type 1's are reckless and foolish and plenty of Type 2's aren't.

Old 07-28-2019, 12:58 PM

5,710 posts, read 4,284,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
He can be a nice and lovely person, and still be mentally ill. If he didn't go there to die, he certainly didn't go there to live. He gave away all his money, did not prepare properly, nor take nearly enough supplies. He didn't get any training on living in the wilderness alone.

None of which indicates "mental illness", however. Poor judgment is not a mental illness....yet.

Old 07-28-2019, 01:00 PM

31,340 posts, read 14,259,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reed067 View Post
A 24-year-old woman from Belarus died on Alaska's Stampede Trail while attempting to visit an abandoned bus made famous by the book and film "Into the Wild."

Veramika Maikamava and her husband Piotr Markielau wanted to reach Fairbanks Bus 142, where "Into the Wild" subject Christopher McCandless died in 1992, Alaska State Trooper spokesperson Ken Marsh told the Fairbanks Daily News-Miner.
Markielau called state troopers in Fairbanks on Thursday night to report that his wife had died, according to a news release from the Alaska State Troopers.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/07/27/us/wo..._medium=social

Any hiker worth their salt knows better then to cross a river when it’s up and moving fast.
Great book, and the woman who died should have read it more carefully.

Old 07-28-2019, 01:01 PM

11,111 posts, read 9,753,246 times
Quote:
Same. He was one of the people to inspire my journey, which has taken me all over the world. For me, it's not so much about living off the land and surviving without money or anything extreme as he did. What inspired me is that he lived his life on his own terms.

It's okay. We die when we're meant to. I often go off into the wilderness alone and I could die too. I don't care. I'll die when I die. I could die tomorrow and feel fine about it. I've lived a full life.

I'm pretty sure he knew that. He was just ok with taking the risk. This is a person who burned all his money. He wasn't exactly looking to walk an easy road.

I believe people die when they're meant to and his death was part of his fate. Without his death, would any of us have even heard of him? I doubt it. There are lots of outdoorsy adventurers out there that I don't even know about, but because of his death, he became known and inspired so many.
Yeah, he became known alright. Known as an idiot who died a senseless death because he didn't know how much he didn't know. And then he thinks he's smarter than all the locals who tried to tell him he was unprepared and ill-equipped. No amount of rationalizing and romanticizing his death by calling it fate or destiny is going to change the fact that he died of ignorance and hubris. People keep saying he lived life on his own terms as if that's some kind of explanation why someone would just run blind and naked into the wilderness (metaphorically speaking).

I completely get that not everyone is cut out for the corporate world, so they find other more fulfilling ways to support themselves. You can earn a living as a craftsman, a musician, a volunteer or missionary with an organization helping the poor in other countries. You can join some sort of a collective or commune, live off the land on a homestead and farm or raise animals to feed yourself. I watch Mountain Men all the time, Eustace and Tom, these are people who are successfully living lives that they've created in the wilderness. They inspire me because they are self-reliant and they are just packed full of the knowledge, skill, and fortitude to live that lifestyle. And it's not easy. Just bumming around the country hitchhiking and getting yourself lost and killed is nothing to be admired or inspired by.

Old 07-28-2019, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTLightning View Post
I'm not sure how much beautiful life he was experiencing when he was dying alone on the bus.

If that's your idea of living life then who am I to argue lol
I just have different beliefs about life and death than most people I guess. To each their own.

Old 07-28-2019, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShadow View Post
Yeah, he became known alright. Known as an idiot who died a senseless death because he didn't know how much he didn't know. And then he thinks he's smarter than all the locals who tried to tell him he was unprepared and ill-equipped. No amount of rationalizing and romanticizing his death by calling it fate or destiny is going to change the fact that he died of ignorance and hubris. People keep saying he lived life on his own terms as if that's some kind of explanation why someone would just run blind and naked into the wilderness (metaphorically speaking).

I completely get that not everyone is cut out for the corporate world, so they find other more fulfilling ways to support themselves. You can earn a living as a craftsman, a musician, a volunteer or missionary with an organization helping the poor in other countries. You can join some sort of a collective or commune, live off the land on a homestead and farm or raise animals to feed yourself. I watch Mountain Men all the time, Eustace and Tom, these are people who are successfully living lives that they've created in the wilderness. They inspire me because they are self-reliant and they are just packed full of the knowledge, skill, and fortitude to live that lifestyle. And it's not easy. Just bumming around the country hitchhiking and getting yourself lost and killed is nothing to be admired or inspired by.
Once again, to each their own. I'm inspired by what I'm inspired by.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events