Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2019, 03:21 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,763 posts, read 58,180,906 times

Advertisements

Oregon is a 'nanny state', just placing more burden on employers and EDU...

https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine...n-mind/399356/
The Coddling of the American Mind
In the name of emotional well-being, college students are increasingly demanding protection from words and ideas they don’t like. Here’s why that’s disastrous for education—and mental health.

Any day in school (HS or college) has been a 'piece-of-cake' compared to tasks and responsibilities 'beyond' school (Such as working FT night job so you can GO to school!)

HS attendance? Why bother going at all (glorified and expensive childcare)
College attendance? You are on your own, just do the work and get OUT ASAP and get a real J-O-B (And don't abuse sick leave) spoken from the viewpoint of an employer who hired you to perform a task (dependably)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2019, 03:40 AM

5,869 posts, read 4,220,782 times
When I was in school, every day was a mental health day. We had a few hours to play, unsupervised.

Old 07-29-2019, 03:42 AM

19,435 posts, read 15,281,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
I'm in my 40s, and my mom used to let me take a mental health day from school from time to time. I was a responsible kid, and I was (am) introverted and a little anxious. Sometimes week after week of school was just too much. As long as I wasn't avoiding a test or a project, it was fine.

I do the same as an adult. I've got PTO, and sometimes going to work is not the best option for the day.
Omg, I would have killed to be able to do that once in a while. I was just like you, and I put way too much pressure on myself as a kid.

Eventually, as a teenager, I just started skipping school sometimes. I remember whenever I made the decision that I wasn't going to go, I would experience such a huge feeling of relief. But then after the school hours had started, I would always start feeling guilt and regret. But that feeling of relief...

I haven't worked in an official work place for years, but at my SO's job, they just give him a certain amount of "personal days" for the year. It's no longer designated as sick days or whatever. Makes sense to me.

To be honest, though, college students, or younger people in general, do seem to be getting whinier and whinier by the day. "Get off my daaaaamn laaaaaaaawn……."

Old 07-29-2019, 04:04 AM

10,248 posts, read 6,340,479 times
When I worked in an MR/DD facility, we got 15 sick days a year. Yes, we called them "staff mental health days", and no one questioned taking a day off for this reason. Necessary. If staff became too stressed out, that would not do the Consumers any good whatsoever.

Old 07-29-2019, 06:45 AM

6,806 posts, read 4,487,725 times
They are already entitled to take up to five sick days every three months, but that's not enough for them?!

What a pampered generation of wimps. They think everything is about Them.

Old 07-29-2019, 09:11 AM

9,546 posts, read 7,085,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javacoffee View Post
They are already entitled to take up to five sick days every three months, but that's not enough for them?!

What a pampered generation of wimps. They think everything is about Them.
From the article: "It will expand the definition of excused absences in schools." Physical health days are excused, but not mental health days.

Suicide is the second leading cause of death in young people ages 10 to 34. Our society must do something about this, and I applaud these teenagers trying to make a difference in their school and society.

Anxiety and depression are indeed illnesses. In fact some studies have shown that anxiety can be caused by the Epstein-Barr virus, the same virus that causes mononucleosis.

Although these conditions can be improved by things like meditation, exercise and diet, and not just pharmaceuticals alone, the same can be said of many physical illnesses. Anxiety and depression are not something you can just get over or not. It has nothing to do with being a "wimp."

It's actually attitudes like yours that put a stigma on someone struggling with mental well-being that these students are trying to overcome.

Old 07-29-2019, 10:06 AM

15,809 posts, read 20,568,705 times
IIRC, nobody made me go to class when I was in college. If you want to skip class one day...go for it. Nobody is stopping you. They treated us like adults during my 4 years...which meant being responsible for ourselves.

Catch up on the assignments from a classmate and get a copy of the day's notes. Nothing really new or ground-breaking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal_Native View Post
The easiest day at college is 69 times harder than the hardest day at work.
Other way for me. I'd gladly go back to college. It was easy and fun.

Old 07-29-2019, 10:52 AM

151 posts, read 107,662 times
school is M-F , 7 hrs a day.

35 hrs a week with lots of time off ( breaks, summers )

Never MANDATORY 10-12 hour days
Never MANDATORY Saturday or Sunday

If you can't " hack" a M-F , 35 hours per week, the "real world" will be quite an adjustment .

Old 07-29-2019, 12:48 PM

26,662 posts, read 28,742,859 times
While I think it's a little bit far fetched, I can understand it. And I do believe that kids today and coddled and protected from the real world. However, when I was a teacher (and if you don't think that's a stressful job with today's spoiled, entitled kids and the lack of authority to enforce discipline, then I dare you to try to "teach" in an average classroom these days) we were allowed three "personal" days. You didn't have to be sick, it wasn't a vacation day, no explanation needed. But when you were so stressed by ridiculous circumstances, you took a "personal" day. And we used to call it a mental health day.

So mental health days do exist in the real world. And I believe there are situations for kids as well as employees when these days are needed. Problem might be how to keep it from going too far and being taken advantage of. (Like, "I don't want to take the test=mental health day.)

Old 07-29-2019, 03:17 PM

6,806 posts, read 4,487,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calgirlinnc View Post
From the article: "It will expand the definition of excused absences in schools." Physical health days are excused, but not mental health days.

Suicide is the second leading cause of death in young people ages 10 to 34. Our society must do something about this, and I applaud these teenagers trying to make a difference in their school and society.

Anxiety and depression are indeed illnesses. In fact some studies have shown that anxiety can be caused by the Epstein-Barr virus, the same virus that causes mononucleosis.

Although these conditions can be improved by things like meditation, exercise and diet, and not just pharmaceuticals alone, the same can be said of many physical illnesses. Anxiety and depression are not something you can just get over or not. It has nothing to do with being a "wimp."

It's actually attitudes like yours that put a stigma on someone struggling with mental well-being that these students are trying to overcome.
It's attitudes like mine that broke away from King George's rule and started our own country.

Attitudes like mine built America with our bare hands. We built the railroads, the airplanes and the automobiles.

Attitudes like mine send men in rocketships to the moon. Nothing was too hard for us. We did these things because they were hard, not because they were easy for pansies to digest over a latte and a much-needed "mental health day off".

I am seriously concerned about the future of America. I'm glad I'm old and on my way out. Have at it, snowflakes.

Last edited by Javacoffee; 07-29-2019 at 04:30 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events