Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2019, 08:42 AM

2,869 posts, read 1,148,568 times

Advertisements

I wonder how many of these students claiming a "mental health day" actually rest, and not consume their time checking their phones - which, in the world of constant likes, pings, feedback, etc. - is a cause of a lot of angst in this country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2019, 08:52 AM

15,526 posts, read 10,491,591 times
Students already use sick days for so called mental health days. If you don't feel well, what ever the reason, you are under the weather. I don't like making it a separate excuse.

Old 07-30-2019, 09:04 AM

9,546 posts, read 7,066,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javacoffee View Post
What?! Do you honestly believe that a more diverse variety of days off throughout the year will change our nations suicide rate? Are you crazy?

What you're throwing into this conversation is madness. It's like putting a band-aid over a cancerous tumor while calling the surgeons crazy for scheduling surgery. Absolute madness.
Next time before you go ranting and raving and insulting others, read the original article that started the thread.

Old 07-30-2019, 12:59 PM

6,806 posts, read 4,467,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elan View Post
Students already use sick days for so called mental health days. If you don't feel well, what ever the reason, you are under the weather. I don't like making it a separate excuse.
Exactly.

Old 07-30-2019, 05:38 PM

3,259 posts, read 3,767,439 times
Schools are in session approximately 180 days a year.

They literally have 50% of all days to use as mental health days.

The snowflake generation at work.

Old 07-30-2019, 06:48 PM

7,058 posts, read 9,075,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
So when people are asked, "would you like to go back to being a child again"? almost no one says yes. We have platitudes about it, but almost no one would choose to go back there.

Why? Because you have no power as a child. You have no choices. You go where you're told, when you're told no matter how very intolerable it is or how much you're dreading it.

Adults don't have that. We have choices. (Granted, some people refuse to exercise those choices and instead always see barriers to improvement).
I'd love to go back to 9 or 10 years old. I had money (that I earned- routes for three different newspapers, one with both a morning and an evening edition), choices and transportation. The world was an exciting place to be explored, new wonders around every corner.

Old 07-30-2019, 07:31 PM

199 posts, read 130,835 times
I'm thankful for these types of people entering the job pool. Going to be that much easier for my kids to be successful, even easier than in past generations.

Old 07-31-2019, 02:24 AM

15,413 posts, read 9,055,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elan View Post
True. Probably 50% of my sick days from school were mental health days. More as I was getting older and having more mental health issues.

Old 07-31-2019, 10:35 AM

2 posts, read 577 times
Dr. Gershon Ney is a board-certified neurologist near me in Chelsea manhattan with 25 years of clinical experience in a wide range of clinical settings. He is fellowshipped trained and has an extensive foundation in the treatment of epilepsy
https://www.manhattanmedicalarts.com/dr-gershon-ney.php

Old 07-31-2019, 11:02 AM

3,023 posts, read 2,236,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javacoffee View Post
They are already entitled to take up to five sick days every three months, but that's not enough for them?!

What a pampered generation of wimps. They think everything is about Them.
Whoa, Java, back away from the coffee pot because your reading comprehension is seriously impacted.

They are not getting any additional days. They are only adding "mental health" as an excused absence. This has nothing to do with "snowflakes" and really it's just box-checking. Students are allowed x "excused" days and y "unexcused" days. If they exceed either or both, the state gets involved, as the student may not meet required attendance to advance to the next grade and the parents may face consequences for not providing appropriate education.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events