Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2019, 06:17 AM

31,897 posts, read 26,926,466 times

Advertisements

Along with rats....

https://www.freep.com/in-depth/news/...ck/1492124001/

In the end dog died as well, rats got to him as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2019, 06:28 AM

6,806 posts, read 4,466,846 times
That family member who's so disgusted by the mess might have paid the dead woman a visit now and then. All that might have been avoided. No sympathy for that "family".
That filth and rot didn't happen over night.

Old 08-02-2019, 07:06 AM

9,848 posts, read 7,716,018 times
This is a complicated and very sad illness. There's no easy answers. Adults can live how they want to live. They can keep others out of their homes with excuses. Their illness is more powerful than threats from people trying to help. They don't feel like they need rescued, they can't see it.

Old 08-02-2019, 07:13 AM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 2 days ago)

35,607 posts, read 17,927,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javacoffee View Post
That family member who's so disgusted by the mess might have paid the dead woman a visit now and then. All that might have been avoided. No sympathy for that "family".
She wasn't invited, Java. That's the point.

She did keep in regular contact with her, obviously, and the woman had a vibrant social life outside of her house, where she was seen quite frequently looking well.

Old 08-02-2019, 08:30 AM

2,660 posts, read 1,553,563 times
Poor dog.

Old 08-02-2019, 09:19 AM

37,593 posts, read 45,960,046 times
Quote:
Seriously??

Old 08-02-2019, 11:14 AM

26,212 posts, read 19,512,088 times
A very well written, and tragic, story. She went downhill after retiring at 70. I imagine work was her only real structure, outside of Sunday services. Sad.

Old 08-02-2019, 12:39 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,132,491 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
She wasn't invited, Java. That's the point.

She did keep in regular contact with her, obviously, and the woman had a vibrant social life outside of her house, where she was seen quite frequently looking well.
It wasn't like the sisters were shut-ins. They attended many social functions at their neighborhood church, had their hair once a week, saw the delivery person from their local restaurant on a regular basis and always looked nice and "well put together".

If I had a relative that I saw on a regular basis at church functions and spoke to on the phone, I probably wouldn't demand to see the inside of their home, would you?

Old 08-02-2019, 01:13 PM

36,754 posts, read 14,814,475 times
Quote:

I don't know how anyone could read the entire article, and say that.

The woman, her second cousin, was the only one who checked on the sisters when she was unable to contact them. And she persisted when authorities tried to dissuade her. It was because of her efforts that the body was found when it was.

This is a very sad case. Hoarding is bad enough, but coupled with age-related issues and isolation, this type of scenario is terrifying.

One thing I did find odd is that hospital social workers didn't follow up when they learned the condition of the house, seen and reported by those who entered it when the sister had a stroke and had to be hospitalized.

Old 08-02-2019, 01:29 PM

26,212 posts, read 19,512,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delahanty View Post
One thing I did find odd is that hospital social workers didn't follow up when they learned the condition of the house, seen and reported by those who entered it when the sister had a stroke and had to be hospitalized.
It's probably a money issue, Detroit is broke, their social services are likely cut to the bone. I don't know if they can force someone out of their home for hoarding when it turns into a hazmat situation. Even the police could not "break in" to check on her.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events