Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2019, 05:20 AM

50,748 posts, read 36,458,112 times

Advertisements

I work in a rehab facility and for whatever reasons, these diseases are getting much more prevalent. It used to be elderly people who got sepsis (and MRSA) now we get a lot all ages. We’ve even had a couple of patients with flesh eating bacteria which I never saw before in 20+ years. I don’t know if it’s antibiotic overuse creating superbugs, something in the environment or a combination but something is very wrong.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2019, 07:15 AM

4,992 posts, read 5,287,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
I work in a rehab facility and for whatever reasons, these diseases are getting much more prevalent. It used to be elderly people who got sepsis (and MRSA) now we get a lot all ages. We’ve even had a couple of patients with flesh eating bacteria which I never saw before in 20+ years. I don’t know if it’s antibiotic overuse creating superbugs, something in the environment or a combination but something is very wrong.
We also travel and import more 'stuff' from other parts of the world. It may be like introducing measles and chicken pox to the Native Americans who had never experienced those diseases before and didn't have generations of immunity handed down.

Old 08-04-2019, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarahsez View Post
We also travel and import more 'stuff' from other parts of the world. It may be like introducing measles and chicken pox to the Native Americans who had never experienced those diseases before and didn't have generations of immunity handed down.
Sepsis and these other diseases have always been here though, it’s the prevalence and severity of them that have increased.

Old 08-04-2019, 08:48 AM

9,512 posts, read 6,099,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
I used to think it was antibiotic overuse but I do not any longer. We are dangerously tampering with our adaptive (learned) immunity & antibiotics do not have that capability.

Antibiotics fight bacteria. Building natural immunity to viruses can also help our bodies fight bacteria. Altering our bodies adaptation to viruses is, I think; causing us to weaken our ability to fight bacteria.

I think we are seeing some very unfortunate consequences of this during flu season & the CDCs 'anti-antibiotic' campaign isn't helping. People who get the flu are dying from bacterial sepsis & pneumonia.

I've noticed the same thing with MRSA; used to be a nursing home problem. Now we have young people testing positive for MRSA after getting a bug bite ... makes no sense at all.

Old 08-04-2019, 08:57 AM

32,638 posts, read 48,015,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delahanty View Post
........which she said had been "slightly infected."......

That sounds like the cut was infected before the dog got to it. So maybe it had nothing to do with the dog at all. Not that I'd be allowing my dog to lick open wounds, but it doesn't sound like it was the dog that caused the original issue.

Old 08-04-2019, 09:25 AM

1,415 posts, read 1,187,546 times
That dog won't ever have the chance to bite the hand that fed it now.

Old 08-04-2019, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatopescado View Post
That dog won't ever have the chance to bite the hand that fed it now.
She has no intention of parting ways with the puppy and both the puppy and her second dog have been to the hospital to visit her twice. The article said the bacteria is present in most dogs (74%). What’s new is it spreading so easily to otherwise healthy humans and being so virulent once it does. It’s not this puppy specifically that’s the problem.

Old 08-04-2019, 03:14 PM

37,607 posts, read 45,978,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ByeByeLW View Post
^ I remember being told that it was okay to let a dog lick your wound, in fact that would clean it. Yikes!
What??? That's just WRONG!

Old 08-04-2019, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
What??? That's just WRONG!

I've heard that too. Dog's saliva actually does contain properties that kill certain germs. Obviously not all of them.

Old 08-04-2019, 03:24 PM

30,633 posts, read 18,214,590 times
I love my cat and love pets in general, but I never understood how some people let their pets/other animals lick and slobber all over them and don't wash their hands or (in cases like these) properly sanitize open wounds that were licked, etc., by pets.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events