Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2019, 09:28 PM

1,153 posts, read 567,140 times

Advertisements

How awful. Poor woman.

I'm not keen on dogs. Reading stuff like this makes me feel justified in my overall dislike of them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2019, 09:28 PM

50,768 posts, read 36,458,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
I would advise caution about "how close" you get to your Canine.......the risks are well spelled-out in this story. I feel sympathy for the poor lady in this story.

Dogs love eating poop, dogs love rolling around in poop, dogs love being near and in poop. Fecal-matter is definitely a hazard to humans......a common disease-vector.
It’s really not possible to have a puppy and not have it lick you unless you never interact or play with it (in which case please don’t get a puppy) or have no skin exposed anywhere ever.

Old 08-05-2019, 09:30 PM

50,768 posts, read 36,458,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern man View Post
Maybe its the national fad of” I must have a dog”
None of the patients were there due to any kind of animals. People have had dogs for thousands of years is nothing new. The prevalence of these diseases is, most of them have nothing to do with dogs.

Old 08-05-2019, 10:33 PM

32,931 posts, read 36,341,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern man View Post
Maybe its the national fad of” I must have a dog”
That has little or nothing to do with it. My parents always had a dog or two, and I still have my hands, feet, ... and knees.

Oh my gosh, when I was about four, I had a mouth full of food, started laughing, and the Springer Spaniel cleaned out my mouth. My first French kiss was from a dog. My mother probably made me gargle with Listerine.

Old 08-06-2019, 05:19 AM

23,866 posts, read 33,545,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
I work in a rehab facility and for whatever reasons, these diseases are getting much more prevalent. It used to be elderly people who got sepsis (and MRSA) now we get a lot all ages. We’ve even had a couple of patients with flesh eating bacteria which I never saw before in 20+ years. I don’t know if it’s antibiotic overuse creating superbugs, something in the environment or a combination but something is very wrong.
I wonder if it's a combination of things. Some people are using hand sanitizer left and right, then add antibacterial soap.

Old 08-06-2019, 06:09 AM

15,218 posts, read 10,308,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coschristi View Post
I used to think it was antibiotic overuse but I do not any longer. We are dangerously tampering with our adaptive (learned) immunity & antibiotics do not have that capability.

Antibiotics fight bacteria. Building natural immunity to viruses can also help our bodies fight bacteria. Altering our bodies adaptation to viruses is, I think; causing us to weaken our ability to fight bacteria.

I think we are seeing some very unfortunate consequences of this during flu season & the CDCs 'anti-antibiotic' campaign isn't helping. People who get the flu are dying from bacterial sepsis & pneumonia.

I've noticed the same thing with MRSA; used to be a nursing home problem. Now we have young people testing positive for MRSA after getting a bug bite ... makes no sense at all.
And this is how eventually the human race will die out.

Old 08-06-2019, 06:11 AM

15,218 posts, read 10,308,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carly1983 View Post
How awful. Poor woman.

I'm not keen on dogs. Reading stuff like this makes me feel justified in my overall dislike of them.
Too bad, you're missing out on having a companion who will love you unconditionally.

Old 08-06-2019, 06:57 AM

9,576 posts, read 7,330,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
And this is how eventually the human race will die out.
While humans might be the most intelligent species (I realize some might argue otherwise with all the death and destruction we like to inflict on each other and the planet! ) on earth, microbes are the ones that are able to survive at all extreme and stressful conditions (pH, temp, pressure, etc.). I actually love microbes, they help us survive (the good gut biome), they kill us (don't like that part!) and everything in between.

Microbes are amazing, they have evolved to be able to break down hydrocarbons, so if we have oil spills, send it the microbes to help clean in up; they create natural products that can be used to help fight cancer and other human diseases; if it wasn't for microbes we wouldn't have discovered and developed the CRISPR system, which is all the rage in the biotech world; and yes, they can also wipe all of us out, what a crazy dichotomy, duality, juxtaposition we live in with us and microbes!

Old 08-06-2019, 07:29 AM

723 posts, read 570,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coschristi View Post
Good grief, what in the actual ... ?

I remember when I was a kid & my dog would lick my skinned knees. I still have my knees ...
And years ago my first Doberman used to gnaw on the thick calluses on my heels. Cheaper than buying rawhide chew toys, and boy did it feel good.

I still have my feet. :-)

Old 08-06-2019, 08:52 AM

17,164 posts, read 15,373,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
I will save my kisses for the human animal. Cats and dogs eat/lick their own poop.
I've had cats... Never seen any of them eat/lick their poop. As a matter-of-fact, they bury it to hide it, and get VERY angry if their box isn't cleaned up and it is visible.

Dogs are different. But cats? I disagree.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events