Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2019, 06:07 PM

5,511 posts, read 4,474,723 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
I don't know. All kinds of awful possibilities.

What if a lightening storm comes up unexpectedly and there are 30 swimmers? Seems impossible to quickly evacuate the pool.

I wonder if it actually will ever be built. The insurance would be astronomical.
Probably not that dissimilar than a regular swimming pool. First sign of lightning, or even a _hint_ of "bad clouds"... they close down the pool. I'm no weather expert, but AFAIK, an extra 10 to 30 minutes shouldn't be THAT bad. Otherwise, I'm sure they'll have to sign waivers to such effects

Quote:
And how would you get someone out of there who has a health issue - a heart attack, asthma attack, and probably most common, a panic attack? They have to swim through a tunnel to get out of the pool.

I would think panic attacks would be exceptionally common. You're 55 stories up, and the illusion is that there are no walls/boundaries.

Even picturing it gives me anxiety!
This will probably be treated no differently than something like hiking. If you sprain your ankle or break something out in a canyon or trail, either your hiking buddies are carrying you back to where the cars are parked, you're "roughing it", or you're spending $2,000 to get airlifted out of there (which most insurance plans won't cover since hiking is considered an "extreme sport"). Suffice to say, this won't be for the feint of heart.

Probably not any different than a Ferris wheel or roller coaster. If you get onto either of them and get a panic attack then.. well, you'll just need to wait until you can get off

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQalex View Post
Below is a story about a somewhat similar pool atop an apartment building in Downtown Houston. It has a section jutting out from the building that is made of glass.

https://www.insider.com/glass-bottom...n-texas-2017-4
At least one cruise ship has something like this for their water slides... the slide is a completely encased tube, and there's a portion that juts out over the sea, that's also completely transparent to give you that thrill and view!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2019, 06:17 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 5 days ago)

35,622 posts, read 17,953,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ackmondual View Post
Probably not that dissimilar than a regular swimming pool. First sign of lightning, or even a _hint_ of "bad clouds"... they close down the pool. I'm no weather expert, but AFAIK, an extra 10 to 30 minutes shouldn't be THAT bad. Otherwise, I'm sure they'll have to sign waivers to such effects

This will probably be treated no differently than something like hiking. If you sprain your ankle or break something out in a canyon or trail, either your hiking buddies are carrying you back to where the cars are parked, you're "roughing it", or you're spending $2,000 to get airlifted out of there (which most insurance plans won't cover since hiking is considered an "extreme sport"). Suffice to say, this won't be for the feint of heart.

Probably not any different than a Ferris wheel or roller coaster. If you get onto either of them and get a panic attack then.. well, you'll just need to wait until you can get off

At least one cruise ship has something like this for their water slides... the slide is a completely encased tube, and there's a portion that juts out over the sea, that's also completely transparent to give you that thrill and view!
To get out of this pool, as I understand it, you're going to have to swim through a tunnel. There's no getting UP out of the pool - or no way that anyone else can get you UP out of the pool - you're going to have to go underwater, and swim through a tunnel, presumedly with your eyes open underwater.

I don't want to do that, frankly, on a very very good day although I do enjoy swimming and snorkeling. No thanks on the tunnel.

Getting someone who has had a heart attack, is in the middle of an asthma attack, has just had a seizure, or is having a panic attack to swim down to the bottom of the pool and through a tunnel - to me, that's night and day from being carried off a trail or lifted off a ferris wheel.

Old 08-05-2019, 06:23 PM

5,576 posts, read 6,504,647 times
"If you build it, they will come."

Old 08-05-2019, 06:29 PM

Quote:
To get out of this pool, as I understand it, you're going to have to swim through a tunnel. There's no getting UP out of the pool - or no way that anyone else can get you UP out of the pool - you're going to have to go underwater, and swim through a tunnel, presumedly with your eyes open underwater.

I don't want to do that, frankly, on a very very good day although I do enjoy swimming and snorkeling. No thanks on the tunnel.

Getting someone who has had a heart attack, is in the middle of an asthma attack, has just had a seizure, or is having a panic attack to swim down to the bottom of the pool and through a tunnel - to me, that's night and day from being carried off a trail or lifted off a ferris wheel.
Swimmers will access the pool through a rotating spiral staircase based on the door of a submarine, rising from the pool floor when someone wants to get in or out.

Not sure if this requires a person to be submerged in water, with skin contacting water. Doesn't sound like it. In either case... it won't be for "the common person", as it is harder to get in or out. I reckon they'll require you to sign an "even juicier waiver", and either require some pre-swimming training, or be certified.

In fact, there's a hotel that's like this. Guests MUST BE SCUBA certified b/c the only way you're getting in is to swim underwater to access its entrance.. underwater. They don't have any special mini-subs nor non-immersed passageways that take you down there.

Again, I maintain that this'll probably be more of an "extreme physical activity". For example, if a group is going on a 13 mile hike with 7,000 ft in elevation gain and you're not up to it (e.g. you're still recovering from surgery, or you were never in great shape), then the onus is on you to know your limitations. Both physical, and psychological.

Old 08-05-2019, 07:30 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,812,184 times
Quote:
I don't know. All kinds of awful possibilities.

What if a lightening storm comes up unexpectedly and there are 30 swimmers? Seems impossible to quickly evacuate the pool.

I wonder if it actually will ever be built. The insurance would be astronomical.
Good thing London rarely has any lightening and unexpected storms of any kind.

Old 08-05-2019, 08:20 PM

15,526 posts, read 10,496,731 times
Staircase malfunction? Yeah, I'm not getting in it.

Old 08-06-2019, 06:55 AM

17,301 posts, read 22,030,713 times
The other issue with this design is the wind whipping water off the surface......being that high up it will always be windy and with no edge to control the "slosh" it will be a mess all the time even if nobody is in the pool.

Think of cruise ships, the pools are never full for the same reason.....to help with the "slosh factor"

My guess: It will never get built or if it does it will be a different design.

Old 08-06-2019, 09:31 AM

4,430 posts, read 2,706,383 times
Nope.

Nope, nope.

Nope, nope, nope, nope, nope, nope, nope!

Old 08-06-2019, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post
The other issue with this design is the wind whipping water off the surface......being that high up it will always be windy and with no edge to control the "slosh" it will be a mess all the time even if nobody is in the pool.

Think of cruise ships, the pools are never full for the same reason.....to help with the "slosh factor"

My guess: It will never get built or if it does it will be a different design.
They mentioned that in the article....

The pool will also be fitted with a built-in anemometer to monitor wind speed, and will be linked to a computer-controlled building management system that will regulate the pool's temperature and ensure water doesn't spill onto the streets below. The water will be heated using waste energy from the building's air conditioning system.

I'm not sure how THAT helps from an engineering standpoint, but I'm not one. I'm assuming they'll have smart people thinking things through, as opposed to throwing caution to the wind (pun intended )

Old 08-06-2019, 12:45 PM

36,754 posts, read 14,822,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
Yeah, no thanks.
lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events