Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2019, 10:10 AM

10,218 posts, read 7,654,569 times

Advertisements

Quote:
A driver and dog miraculously walked away from this out-of-control camper accident on a highway outside Newton Abbot, UK. Dashcam video shows the car pulling a camper wobbling before flipping over twice. “Everyone was fine. Some small cuts from flying glass,” the trucker driving behind the wreck reported.
https://youtu.be/Nc4uZZn2SRs
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2019, 01:14 PM

9,127 posts, read 9,456,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpollen View Post
No sway control bars on the trailer, too much tongue weight for the tow vehicle and no equalizer hitch, driving too fast, or all of the above.
Glad the driver and dog survived. Very lucky indeed.

Old 08-23-2019, 02:01 PM

36,753 posts, read 14,908,846 times
What a video!

Glad the man and pooch are okay. Yikes.

Old 08-23-2019, 03:48 PM

10,218 posts, read 7,654,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catdad7x View Post
No sway control bars on the trailer, too much tongue weight for the tow vehicle and no equalizer hitch, driving too fast, or all of the above.
Glad the driver and dog survived. Very lucky indeed.
Ahhh...so that's what let the camper start swaying out of control. I didn't see that the driver had hit anything, or any big cause for the swaying.

A reminder to get experts to help a person get set up with traveling pulling a trailer, camper, or anything.

I was afraid the dog would survive, but not the owner, and the dog would run around there and get hit. So I was glad the driver was okay and could get his dog.

Old 08-23-2019, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpollen View Post
Ahhh...so that's what let the camper start swaying out of control. I didn't see that the driver had hit anything, or any big cause for the swaying.

A reminder to get experts to help a person get set up with traveling pulling a trailer, camper, or anything.

I was afraid the dog would survive, but not the owner, and the dog would run around there and get hit. So I was glad the driver was okay and could get his dog.
That was my take from what little bit I could see. Too much tongue weight with a flat bottom trailer will take weight off of the front wheels of the tow vehicle, making it unstable. If and when the trailer starts to sway (the draft from passing another vehicle for example), the vehicle towing won't have the ability to overcome it. A sway control will reduce that tendency somewhat, but proper tongue weight for the tow vehicle is even more important. I don't know the size of the truck being passed in the video, but I'm guessing the draft/suction involved set the trailer to swaying.

Most RV dealerships will install the proper devices, and instruct the buyer on proper pulling procedures. I imagine it's much the same in the UK. I don't think they were followed here.

Old 08-23-2019, 07:24 PM

33,049 posts, read 36,676,216 times
Good thing he was wearing his seat belt. He finally got to use the air bags, too!

That's a spectacular video of the disaster. Most people never see something like that. I haven't.

Old 08-27-2019, 04:19 PM

6,072 posts, read 6,072,811 times
God speed (pun intended).

Old 08-28-2019, 01:29 PM

16,375 posts, read 10,548,725 times
I don't know much about towing trailers, how does the sway control bar work and why wouldn't every camper be equipped with one?

Old 08-28-2019, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
I don't know much about towing trailers, how does the sway control bar work and why wouldn't every camper be equipped with one?
The sway control bar is actually a two-piece affair that works similar to a shock absorber on your car. One end is attached to one side of the trailers tongue, and the other end is fastened to the center hitch receiver on the tow vehicle. The two parts of the sway bar are under friction pressure and dampen the side to side movement of the trailer. In most cases it prevents the swaying of the trailer under normal circumstances, if everything else is as it should be. Also, the tow vehicle should always be properly matched with the trailer it's pulling (meaning heavy enough). If it's lighter weight than it should be, all of the towing devices installed may not be enough to handle a swaying event f it occurs.

Old 08-29-2019, 05:20 AM

16,375 posts, read 10,548,725 times
Thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events