Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2019, 12:03 PM

9,230 posts, read 16,581,943 times

Advertisements

Chanel Miller has written a book. I very much look forward to reading it.

https://people.com/crime/woman-sexua...chanel-miller/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2019, 12:19 PM

13,261 posts, read 8,085,554 times
Good for her. I'm glad she got the validation, and found the confidence and strength to write her book and self-identify. I'll say it again. Good for her.

Old 09-04-2019, 01:39 PM

It is, indeed, quite a feat to tell a story you can't recall.

Old 09-04-2019, 05:23 PM
Status: "This too shall pass. But possibly, like a kidney stone." (set 1 day ago)

35,882 posts, read 18,195,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PassTheChocolate View Post
It is, indeed, quite a feat to tell a story you can't recall.
Touche.

Her observations about the rape exam are valid, and in my opinion, enlightening. I do think there need to be changes in how those exams are conducted to lessen the negative impact on women reporting rape. When you read through her story, it was the rape exam that she points to as being horrifically traumatic, because, as you note, she doesn't recall the sexual assault so all of the humiliation she associates with the incident occurs in the rape exam room.

I'm a voracious reader but no thanks. I've heard her story already enough, and am not interested in her further just because (as the CNN headline states) she wants "the world to know her name".

I can think of other voices that deserve to be heard loud and clear. We've heard hers already, thanks.

But yes, changes need to be made in preparing the rape exam kit, point taken.

Old 09-04-2019, 05:29 PM

6,382 posts, read 2,949,675 times
Great. Now the biggest fake news story of 2016 can become the biggest fake news story of 2019.

Old 09-04-2019, 07:47 PM
Status: "This too shall pass. But possibly, like a kidney stone." (set 1 day ago)

35,882 posts, read 18,195,824 times
The more I think about it, the more really concerning the title "Know My Name" and the desire behind writing this becomes. What is this unquenchable desire some have for fame, at any cost and for any reason?

For a woman who is claiming to be terribly humiliated, why is it so important to her that we all know exactly who she is, and what she looks like so that we would likely (hopefully?) recognize her in public after she makes the rounds of interviews on news shows?

And a follow up question - what was her personality like, before this incident happened?

Last edited by ClaraC; 09-04-2019 at 08:07 PM..

Old 09-04-2019, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
Touche.

Her observations about the rape exam are valid, and in my opinion, enlightening. I do think there need to be changes in how those exams are conducted to lessen the negative impact on women reporting rape. When you read through her story, it was the rape exam that she points to as being horrifically traumatic, because, as you note, she doesn't recall the sexual assault so all of the humiliation she associates with the incident occurs in the rape exam room.

I'm a voracious reader but no thanks. I've heard her story already enough, and am not interested in her further just because (as the CNN headline states) she wants "the world to know her name".

I can think of other voices that deserve to be heard loud and clear. We've heard hers already, thanks.

But yes, changes need to be made in preparing the rape exam kit, point taken.
Absolutely, great care has to be taken in these situations, regardless of the outcome. I can imagine what it's like to wake up after a bender and not know where you are, to the possibility that you were raped. That uncertainty has to be maddening.

So when the available facts later offer an alternative and you run with the worst case scenario, I'm going to wonder what the payoff is. I have to admit, I never thought this would be it. But it makes total sense.

Old 09-04-2019, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
The more I think about it, the more really concerning the title "Know My Name" and the desire behind writing this becomes. What is this unquenchable desire some have for fame, at any cost and for any reason?

For a woman who is claiming to be terribly humiliated, why is it so important to her that we all know exactly who she is, and what she looks like so that we would likely (hopefully?) recognize her in public after she makes the rounds of interviews on news shows?
She's a hero now. And sympathy and pity can be addicting.

Quote:
And a follow up question - what was her personality like, before this incident happened?
I suspect it was exactly as you see it now. This isn't trauma at work.

Old 09-04-2019, 10:40 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,892,914 times
Yet if she was driving, they would hold her fully responsible.

Old 09-04-2019, 11:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
Yet if she was driving, they would hold her fully responsible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events