Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2019, 11:33 AM

23,866 posts, read 33,545,704 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by keyman51 View Post
https://www.ktuu.com/content/news/Sc...561063371.html

It doesn't say if the child kicked another student or an adult, but I do not believe that a child this young should be arrested for a tantrum. It also does not say if she just happened to be kicking her feet (like a usual tantrum) and somebody got in her way.

We have a zero tolerance policy at our school if a child uses physical force on somebody, but it is rarely used on a child under 3rd grade, and only then is the child expelled from school, not arrested.
I found a few more articles that tell what happened. Her grandmother is saying the girl was misbehaving due to lack of sleep from her sleep apnea. Her court date is October 16 and if she doesn't show up, a warrant will be issued for her arrest.

Arresting her and the other kid is ridiculous!

Apparently the officer arrested 2 kids that day, the other was an 8 year old.

School Resource Officer Arrested 6-Year-Old Girl for Having Tantrum, Grandmother Says - by Alberto Luperon | 10:28 am, September 22nd, 2019
Quote:
the school resource officer involved didn’t follow the procedure for arresting children under 12, according to Click Orlando. Now there’s an investigation into this.

She said the girl was misbehaving in class due to sleep apnea. School officials sent the child to the office. A staff member grabbed Rolle’s wrists in a bid to relax her, but the 6-year-old kicked, according to this account.

an 8-year-old was also arrested Thursday.

6-year-old Florida girl arrested after tantrum at school - By Andrew Krietz - Published: 11:22 AM EDT September 21, 2019 - Updated: 12:08 AM EDT September 22, 2019
Her grandmother says 6-year-old Kaia Rolle was acting out in class due to a side effect of a lack of sleep from a medical condition.
Quote:
Rolle was acting out in class due to a side effect of a lack of sleep from a medical condition. After being sent to the office, Kirkland claims a staff member grabbed the girl's wrists to calm her down -- and that's when she lashed out.

Girl, 6, with medical condition arrested and has mugshot taken after school tantrum - By David Coleman - 10:07, 22 SEP 2019 - Updated 10:13, 22 SEP 2019
Little Kaia Rolle, who suffers from sleep apnoea, lashed out at a staff member in Lucious and Emma Nixon Academy, Florida, on Thursday

Quote:
Little Kaia Rolle, who suffers from mood swings because of her sleep apnoea, reportedly threw a tantrum at Lucious and Emma Nixon Academy school in Florida, USA, on Thursday.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2019, 11:43 AM

13,714 posts, read 12,427,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harpaint View Post
Arresting a 6 yo is ridiculous. However, a 6 yo throwing a tantrum at school is also ridiculous IMO. It's no wonder that teachers leave the profession so often now because they have to deal with so many children who have not been taught to behave. Tantrums in preschool are normal but in first or second grade? Expel her for 2 weeks and hopefully grandma will teach her to behave.
Not really. It isn't "good" or "normal" and it shouldn't be an everyday thing but it should be well within the wheelhouse of a teacher and something a teacher is well equipped to handle.

If not, that teacher needs to go somewhere where the school can pick and chose who it educates (a Private School.)

Old 09-23-2019, 12:00 PM

102,203 posts, read 107,859,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LO28SWM View Post
i worry very much for our future when we arrest small children for being children
. . It's the criminalization of childhood in certain minority groups. Start a police file on them in grade school. By HS, they'll be behind bars as permanent residents. This is not the first instance of a small child with this "profile" getting a criminal record due to acting out in school. The blond kids are usually chalked up as "having a bad day", and given a time out, or sent home with a parent.

I'm wondering if this topic is appropriate for CE, given the facts of the case. Note the Florida location.

Last edited by Ruth4Truth; 09-23-2019 at 12:13 PM..

Old 09-23-2019, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harpaint View Post
Arresting a 6 yo is ridiculous. However, a 6 yo throwing a tantrum at school is also ridiculous IMO. It's no wonder that teachers leave the profession so often now because they have to deal with so many children who have not been taught to behave. Tantrums in preschool are normal but in first or second grade? Expel her for 2 weeks and hopefully grandma will teach her to behave.
The child has a sleep disorder, that the grandmother/guardian was trying to address medically. Sleep apnea in kids can create a domino effect of other problems, like ADD, which can cause the child tremendous frustration, potentially leading to this kind of acting out.

Old 09-23-2019, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
I found a few more articles that tell what happened. Her grandmother is saying the girl was misbehaving due to lack of sleep from her sleep apnea. Her court date is October 16 and if she doesn't show up, a warrant will be issued for her arrest.

Arresting her and the other kid is ridiculous!

Apparently the officer arrested 2 kids that day, the other was an 8 year old.

School Resource Officer Arrested 6-Year-Old Girl for Having Tantrum, Grandmother Says - by Alberto Luperon | 10:28 am, September 22nd, 2019

6-year-old Florida girl arrested after tantrum at school - By Andrew Krietz - Published: 11:22 AM EDT September 21, 2019 - Updated: 12:08 AM EDT September 22, 2019
Her grandmother says 6-year-old Kaia Rolle was acting out in class due to a side effect of a lack of sleep from a medical condition.

Girl, 6, with medical condition arrested and has mugshot taken after school tantrum - By David Coleman - 10:07, 22 SEP 2019 - Updated 10:13, 22 SEP 2019
Little Kaia Rolle, who suffers from sleep apnoea, lashed out at a staff member in Lucious and Emma Nixon Academy, Florida, on Thursday
Rose, is there any info on the 8-year-old's case?

Old 09-23-2019, 12:20 PM

13,262 posts, read 8,022,582 times
side effects of sleep apnea in children;

Sleep Apnea Symptoms in Children

During the night, a child with sleep apnea may:
  • Snore loudly and on a regular basis
  • Have pauses, gasps, and snorts and actually stop breathing. The snorts or gasps may waken them and disrupt their sleep.
  • Be restless or sleep in abnormal positions with their head in unusual positions
  • Sweat heavily during sleep
During the day, a child with sleep apnea may:
  • Have behavioral, school and social problems
  • Be difficult to wake up
  • Have headaches during the day, but especially in the morning
  • Be irritable, agitated, aggressive, and cranky
  • Be so sleepy during the day that they actually fall asleep or daydream
  • Speak with a nasal voice and breathe regularly through the mouth
https://www.sleepfoundation.org/arti...ve-sleep-apnea

Old 09-23-2019, 12:44 PM

According to this Time article, the 6 yr. old was not processed. No fingerprints, no mug shot.

"Kirkland told WKMG that she learned the child had her mugshot taken and was fingerprinted and charged with battery. Lt. Wanda Miglio, who conducts media relations for the Orlando police, said via email to TIME that the girl’s photo was not taken and she was not fingerprinted.
Police said that the 8-year-old was arrested and processed at a Juvenile Assessment Center. The child was then released to their parents.
The police officer who had transported the 8-year-old didn’t know that the officer had not obtained permission for the arrest, but the officer who arrested the 6-year-old stopped the child from being process once they learned that Turner had not obtained permission for the arrest, according to statements. The child was brought back to school before being brought to the Center."
https://time.com/5683453/children-ar...lorida-school/

Old 09-23-2019, 01:19 PM

13,284 posts, read 8,449,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LO28SWM View Post
i worry very much for our future when we arrest small children for being children
Pardon....? I can name some pretty drastic incidences of "children" who by all means deserved retention. If that meant restraint thru an apparatus to heed their outlandish behavior...then so it was.

I watched appallingly at a parent who unleashed her child to the public in a dining room...and as he terrorized his younger siblings with a knife and fork. We had to stand by because gosh forbid someone tell a parent to discipline their spawn.
This" kids will be kids" is a trite and indifference that I cannot subscribe to.
I'm 100% sure that ladys son had a behavior issue that border on psychotic and sadistic. But let's just go with your ideology that kids will be kid's.

Old 09-23-2019, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nov3 View Post
Pardon....? I can name some pretty drastic incidences of "children" who by all means deserved retention. If that meant restraint thru an apparatus to heed their outlandish behavior...then so it was.

I watched appallingly at a parent who unleashed her child to the public in a dining room...and as he terrorized his younger siblings with a knife and fork. We had to stand by because gosh forbid someone tell a parent to discipline their spawn.
This" kids will be kids" is a trite and indifference that I cannot subscribe to.
I'm 100% sure that ladys son had a behavior issue that border on psychotic and sadistic. But let's just go with your ideology that kids will be kid's.

What lady's son?

This is about a 6 yr. old little girl. A little girl with a medical condition. (sleep apnea). Did you read the link at all?

Old 09-23-2019, 01:51 PM

7,029 posts, read 4,893,080 times
From other reports I've read, this isn't the first time this child has acted up. Apparently, she curses and hits teachers and other adults she has a problem with. The people who excuse this behavior today because she's "just 6" are the same people who will wonder why she's a terror at 16, selling drugs, shooting other people, and breaking into their homes.

Should she have been arrested? Well, no. But like the kids who can't go to the bathroom by themselves and wipe their own butts in kindergarten and first grade, this child is obviously not ready to go to school. She either needs special schooling or to stay home. Personally, if I had a child in this girl's classroom and that girl was taking up so much of the teacher's time when that teacher is supposed to be teaching the class, I'd be upset.

By the way, she kicked a teacher and for those who think this is racism, the school resource officer is black.

I still haven't found out yet if the child really has sleep apnea. I think it's kind of suspicious that a child that young would have sleep apnea, but I suppose it could happen. What I'm really thinking here is Grandma, who may not have been the best mother of her own daughter, is now raising the granddaughter and not exactly teaching this child how to be a model citizen either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events